Sign in to follow this  
Emp_Palpatine

Redtops, how do they work?

Here is my question! 

How do redtops work? They don't, well... growl. How do I know I am within the fire parameters? 

Thanks! 

There is HUD symbology with either those or the firestreaks - been a while would need to check. 

And I'm not that used to fly british armed and built planes. 
I've noticed the HUD thingies, I'll do some tests. 

When you arm the Firestreak/Redtop an A symbol will apear to the lower left of the sight, you will need a radar lock as well, once within parameters a square will apear to the lower right of the sight. I recomend being almost dead 6 of the target at around 1.5 to 2 miles. They dont handle maneuvering targets well so I'd advise using only against bombers, they also have fairly short range so the faster the target is the closer you want to be, Frequently they will go low initially before climbing to intercept, lastly one hit seems sufficient to bring down just about anything.

Craig

as I used the Lightning cockpit (if one owns the SF2 that gave it to us) on the Sea Vixen sf2 update in 2011, I created this little illustration to explain the missile cues.

This should help

As a side note, i disagree abouttheir effectiveness. I´ve been using them and they remain effective as much as, maybe, AIM-9Ds, only that they need that arming time, so minimal range would be more than a mile and a half. I just played a mission with F.53s against Egyptian MiG-17s and they got a Fresco with a 60º or more deflection at launch two miles away, tracked as he kept closing into me, and hit him almost laterally. Don´t know how would they do in RL or modded installs, but tstock missiles work really well...again if launched within proper parameters. They are underrated, just as the Matra R.530, it is just a matter of getting used to either.

I would suggest playing a 1979 campaign with the Lightning F.6, quite challenging but still you will be surprised by how good does the Red Top against targets like the flare equipped MiG-27s

I have been surprised by them indeed. Quite good surprises, actually.