Sign in to follow this  
MAKO69

Full scale rollout of Mitsubishi ATD-X F-3 Shinshin

Rollout of Japan’s new Mitsubishi ATD-X Shinshin stealth fighter jet prototype.

Not a big plane, the range can't be projected to be as close to that of the F-22 or F-35. Video shows a mock up with fuel tanks. I would think for ferry only or when a need not to be stealthy, maybe dump the tanks and it will be stealthy. But when they only need such planes to defend and not project then you would not need the range, I'd guess.

http://globalaviationreport.com/2014/07/13/rollout-of-japans-new-mitsubishi-atd-x-shinshin-stealth-fighter-jet-prototype/

shinshin.jpg

The 'Zero' of future?

IS not big, but sure looks Long and with small wings. Looks like a two seater, right?

2 seater for sure.

I wonder how the main gears are folding in fuselage. we might see transformers one-on-one?

A sort of X-Plane to explore technologies?

Dimensionally, it's (supposed to be) roughly around the same size class as the F-35, thought it's weight is significantly lower and has a smaller internal volume. The cost is supposed to be significantly lower than the F-35 also.

Edited by SayWhatt

Rollout was at Komaki, not far from where I live. I saw the wind tunnel model on base last year.

The ATD-X, like the name implies, is an advanced technology demonstrator, so it's still in the very early stages. The eventual goal is to have a stealthy, light-weight, super-maneuverable air superiority fighter to replace the JASDF's legacy aircraft (as well as improve Japan's indigenous aerospace technology).

If/when this aircraft evolves into a real "F-3," I think we can expect to see a lot of refinements to the design, as well as the usual fabricated outrage from certain neighboring countries.

• Like 1