It is not supported. In SF2, all TrackIR does is act as a perspective controller, so you will get vertical and horizontal pivot, and zoom.

In the viewlist.ini under cockpit view make these adjustments

LimitPitch=FALSE

LimitYaw=FALSE

LimitRoll=FALSE

That should allow you more freedom of movement....5 deg anyways

I was unable to find viewlist.ini in file search and the only mention of cockpit.ini is a mention in several Objects/Aircraft/specific aircraft. The line is for example: CockpitDataFile=F-4J_cockpit.ini which is a reference to the .ini file but not the location.  So I need some navigation instructions to find the file locations, search is not successful. Unless I have found it and I don't recognize it.

thanks

Really? I found it within a few minutes.  It resides in ObjectData008 cat file.

If a cat file is listed as a Security Catalog in Windows Explorer, then yes I don't have it!!

I have ObjectData001 to ObjectData011 but ObjectData008 is the only one that is missing from the list. As best as I can see my sim works fine.

My directory structure as installed on my computer for this sim is: C:/Thirdwire/Strike Fighters 2/Objects.  Am I looking in the wrong place.

I have other sim related files in: c:/Users/Admin/Saved Games/ThirdWire

If it matters at all, I bought the sim, online and downloaded it.

If I am looking in the right place and these are the right file types, another vital piece of info would be, what program is required to open and edit them as default Windows installed programs can not open this type of file.

Thanks

You will need to get the cat extractor from TW it's a a free utility from their site and it allows you to access the cat files so you can make changes to many of the ini files

Went to their site and downloaded the extractor and tested it out on a .cat file.  Successfully extracted file ObjectData009.  Extracted a good number of files and directories from that file.  Now I see some of the text and graphic files could be edited. Once a person edits data in some of the extracted files how do they get returned to the .cat file format to be placed back into the sim. I did not notice how the procedure is reversed to save the changes.

Also does not explain why I don't have a ObjectData008.cat as mentioned by Fubar512.  The sim seems to run fine, is this a NEW .cat file, built by user?

Thanks, that is a great link.

Any data on the "ObjectData008.cat" as mentioned by Fubar512?  Is this one of the files that will have to be created from scratch?

Just ran another search, ObjectData0 and they all came up except ObjectData008.  I must be missing a step someplace, is there an action that I have not done in the sim that results in the creation of ObjectData008?

I think some time spent in the Knowledge Base(s) -- both SF1 and SF2 would be time well spent.

as to the object cats....

Please note the pathway

And mine as it now stands.

It seems that there is much more in yours. Perhaps due to the fact that you have more than SF2V installed.

Notice in my list no 007 or 008.

post-89273-0-58152600-1411283048_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gothkrieger

True, indeed. That's what a full-5 merged install looks like. Not counting the DLCs, which as you can see have their own folder.

However, I'm quite surprised to see WHERE your's is installed to. By default, the 3W installers use the

C:\Program Files (x86)\ThirdWire\Strike Fighters 2

pathway, with the mods folder in the 

C:\Users\*yournamehere*\Saved Games\ThirdWire\*name of game here*

Just fer grins and giggles, check the C:\Program Files (x86) folder, just to be sure!

(also, for info, 2,3,4,5,6 are 99.9% decals) IIRC, 7 is from SF2E.

First off, thanks to all here who have taken time to answer my posts and help.

I know my way around IL2 1946/HSFX and all the events that happened in that environment so I know the amount of info that has to be learned at times. For me this is a new can of worms.

I checked the C:\Program Files (x86)\ThirdWire\Strike Fighters 2 location and as I assumed on my computer it does not exist.  I always elect to put new programs in their own directory with Win 7 to avoid any Win 7 security settings that sometimes causes its own issue.

Yup, the pathway is as you stated above: C:\Users\Admin\Saved Games\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2 Vietnam

All this poking around is due to a 6DOF question at the top that led to having to modify a viewlist.ini that resides in ObjectData008 cat file.  Now the modification would allow a minimal amout of addition functionallity to TrackIR.  If I can't modify this aspect it is no big deal, I can live with it the way it is now.  It is just strange that my setup seems to be missing files that others have.  The sim, to the best of my knowledge seems to run fine but I have not flown it much so far, so I will have to see.  Still if I don't have this file I might run into a situation where I may need it in the future.  Is there a "generic" ObjectData008 cat file that somebody can email me, so I can place it in my directory and see if it makes the game unstable or not. If the game runs fine after its inclusion I can try and modify that. Otherwise I guess I am out of luck as my download and install did not include a 008 cat file.

Edited by Gothkrieger

I always elect to put new programs in their own directory with Win 7 to avoid any Win 7 security settings that sometimes causes its own issue

Ok, well that explains that! Most of us use the default location, due to the fact nothing in the 'core files' (ie: the main install) ever need modding/changing. Hence, it's ok to leave it in the Win7 "protected" regions. Only when patching or adding a DLC will anything (ok, most everything!) change.

Part of the problem is, somebody * gave you the wrong cat. Viewlist ini in in FlightData.cat, located in the /Flight folder of the core install..

after extraction, create a NEW /Flight folder in your mods folder, and drop (copy/paste) it in there. Edit as needed. If it doesn't work, deleting the editied ini will allow the game to revert back to 'stock'. And, the extracted one stays in the extraction storage folder, if needed again.

(* I'm gonna clown on brother fubar for that one!!! :biggrin: )

Edited by Wrench

(* I'm gonna clown on brother fubar for that one!!! :biggrin: )

You can clown on me all you want.  Read back to yourself exactly what he asked for. Do it slowly. Syllable by syllable if you have to :biggrin:.  Gee, he asked for the F-4J_cockpit.ini, and guess where that resides?

"I was unable to find viewlist.ini in file search and the only mention of cockpit.ini is a mention in several Objects/Aircraft/specific aircraft. The line is for example: CockpitDataFile=F-4J_cockpit.ini which is a reference to the .ini file but not the location.  So I need some navigation instructions to find the file locations, search is not successful. Unless I have found it and I don't recognize it."

Edited by Fubar512

yah, ok Ed, you're right! ! My aged, pain addled brain confused cockpit ini with viewlist ini!!! :biggrin:

I do wonder, if the 008 cat is for just plane jane SF2 (desert). Seems there's a LOT of duplication in the various object cats.