Sign in to follow this  
Dave

IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad Released

Just got word it's out of beta and released. Check it out on Steam. 

Well, they arbitrarily decided that this version is the one they're calling release. It's not much different from the version we got when the SP campaign was introduced a few weeks back, just a few fixes.

Anyway, I've been flying it here and there for months now (only have maybe 5 hrs in it in the last year), and I like it well enough. There are a few things I wish they'd done differently, but while that reduces it from a "must have" it doesn't make it an "avoid unless you're a rabid WWII sim fan". Of course, ironically the rabid WWII sim fans are the ones that will protest the flaws loudest, so maybe I should say it's ideal for casual-to-serious WWII sim fans.

Unlike DCS' WWII birds, it's a full world with a realized era and theater. The modeling isn't as exacting as DCS P-51, but it's still above what Il-2 46 offered. I'd put it at about the same level as the modded CloD, but with different strengths and flaws, so while both rate around a "B", they're not interchangeable.

I just toured around their forum a bit. Seems no dynamics in the SP campaign at all, you just fly the missions to unlock equipment and skins. No modding at all, ppl are still arguing about flight models... ehh not for me. i can see the online dogfight community will like it though.

Name a sim where they do NOT argue about FMs. I don't think any in the last 15 years have escaped that.

Name a sim where they do NOT argue about FMs. I don't think any in the last 15 years have escaped that.

Third wire series:D if ya don't like it the notepad is just a double click away no?:D

• Like 1

So JM should I get it then?

Wow after reading the forums I will wait for this in the bargain bin. Or until they fix all the corny crap they did. Level ups? Really?

Always a good thing to wait some time after the release of a complex game before buying it.  Few months even so that the patches do their thing on improving the game...

Edited by hrc

The arguments center on the campaign. Instead of just getting a score for your mission (as almost every sim including DCS does) and then increasing in rank, they call it XP and pilot level. In either case, getting more/higher allows you access to more stuff like unique skins and weapons mods that rookie pilots wouldn't get and are only offered to the impressive vets, but here it's called "unlocks."

So it's mostly a case of people bristling at the terminology as the actual mechanism is the same, they just don't bother disguising it here and the "I don't play games, I play SIMS" crowd recoils in horror.

The other half is your ability to use said skins and weapon mods in MP is tied to that same progression system, so if you ignore the SP campaign you can't use them in MP. I understand the anger from those who normally have no intention of playing SP at being either forced to play it or be excluded from their use, but it's not a deal-breaker for me.

In the end, I think it's worth the $50 I paid in early access to get the game minus the 2 bonus planes which are currently $20 each or are included (for $40 more) in the deluxe version. A lot of people apparently bought in at $90 for the deluxe, a mistake you couldn't convince me to ever make, and are now up in arms over it. They should've paid the $50 like I did, which I did because I wanted to save $10 over the release price after I decided I was going to get it anyway.

I'll wait for a sale or something before I get the other 2 planes, though, I have enough to do without those extras.

Edited by JediMaster

Thanks for the advice JM. I'll wait. 

Looks like major BOS flame war going on @ simhq...

When is there not a flame war going on @ Simhq?

When is there not a flame war going on @ Simhq?

well there'd be different kinds, some flame wars are due to shared love of the game and fans debating different preferences or views about it, where despite high flying emotions they're actually positive. this one seems to be mass disappointment.

but alas you might have a point there, Cliffs of dover turned out OK, so it might be too early to say for BOS.

well there'd be different kinds, some flame wars are due to shared love of the game and fans debating different preferences or views about it, where despite high flying emotions they're actually positive. this one seems to be mass disappointment.

but alas you might have a point there, Cliffs of dover turned out OK, so it might be too early to say for BOS.

I'd hesitate to say 'mass disappointment' only because it's just the same five or six people yammering tiresomely away in several similar threads-- I agree there were some disappointments (unlock issue, graphics presets, campaign mission difficulty presets to name three of the most..um...vibrant issues) but overall it's a pretty decent sim and does what 1C/777 said it would do in the time period they allotted themselves to get this out.  ME is coming, along with d-server.  Cheers

I'd hesitate to say 'mass disappointment' only because it's just the same five or six people yammering tiresomely away in several similar threads-- I agree there were some disappointments (unlock issue, graphics presets, campaign mission difficulty presets to name three of the most..um...vibrant issues) but overall it's a pretty decent sim and does what 1C/777 said it would do in the time period they allotted themselves to get this out.  ME is coming, along with d-server.  Cheers

yeah, too strong a word there but hey this forum needs a bit spicing up...  i suppose many just have a hard time adapting to the "grinds" and "unlocks" MMO mindset. i wasn't surprised myself at all, given that war thunder and world of tanks hit it big and are trending on that part of the world. heck by keeping it simple and familiar wouldn't they even tap into an existing customer base.

otoh if a business model supports a real hardcore and immersive sim nowadays i'd jump right in. but many don't realize times have changed... gotta roll with the punches.

• Like 1

Have to agree with you Do335 :)  Times have deffo changed!

Been a bit confused myself still, but this explains it somehow.

I find the current state and direction of BoS extremely frustrating and schizophrenic.

The first issue that I perceive is the disconnect between the fidelity of aircraft modelling, the accuracy of the map and the structure and presentation of the SP campaign:

When it comes to the aircraft, there's a huge emphasis on authenticity - prop pitch, mixture control, radiators, trim and all of the rest are modeled with great levels of realism. This speaks to a desire the satisfy the hardcore flight sim fans.

When it comes to the map, there's been a huge emphasis on historical accuracy and recreating the battlefield as it was in late 1942. Once again, this speaks to the serious, historically invested player.

When it comes to the campaign, however, the experience deviates massively from any attempt to immerse the player in the reality of that time - settling, instead, for extremely simplistic action/RPG tropes.

Both approaches are entirely valid, but they can't live together cohesively in the same space. Creative vision demands that you pick one or the other and drive (no pun intended) in a clear direction.

I've heard the developers explain it away as "Well, the audience has changed and no one wants to role-play real war anymore", but if that's the case, why bother with realistic aircraft and theatres? Why not just go full Ace Combat?

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4018569/1

It could be the makers themselves are a little confused towards the end. They might intend to shift target market, but since all the work was done before towards a "sim", it was too late to change to "game", so it ends up being a mixed product. (but tis just my deduction)

Edited by Do335