Sign in to follow this  
Stephen1918

Fokker D.III

Fokker D.III

The Fokker D.III was a more powerful version of the D.II, using the same wings and tail as the D.II. It had a 14 cylinder Oberursal rotary engine, which required changes to the fuselage but allowed the plane to carry two Spandau machine guns. Unfortunately, the engine had a low compression rate and the plane lost power at high altitudes. Never-the-less, German ace Oswald Boelcke scored 7 victories in 13 days flying a Fokker D.III.

I have made two skins - a plain white linen, and a two color (brown and green) camo. I have also made a full set of serial number decals. My skinning templates are included in the download.

Credits
My thanks to Ojcar for making the data file for the Fokker D.III, and for providing helpful reference material for the engine and cowling.

Installation Instructions
For FE1 - Unzip the file and move the folder named "FokkerD3" into your FirstEagles/Objects/Aircraft folder.

For FE2 - Unzip the file and move the folder named "FokkerD3" into your FirstEagles/Objects/Aircraft folder. Then in the FirstEagles/Objects/Decals folder, create a new folder named "FokkerD3." Move the folder named "D" from the Aircraft/FokkerD3 folder into the Decals/FokkerD3 folder you just made.

• Like 1

Nice one, Stephen1918 - thanks for your continuing and quality support!

• Like 1

Really nice job, Steve.  You've captured the fragile appearance of the early Fokker fighter.

post-39531-0-33222300-1435659445_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

What a neat photo, Geezer - wait a minute, I think the guy just behind and to the left of the hound is my great-grandfather!

I agree, nice photo. I notice the mixture of planes in the squadron, a little more than half Fokker D.IIIs, the rest a mixture of older types. I also notice the colors of tail insignia are reversed on some planes.

Yeah, it is a fascinating photo.  Usually, the front line squadrons had priority for new aircraft from the factories.  Looks like Kesta 4 was a kind of home defense squadron, so it had to take what was left over.

The Fokker D3 looks great and its nice to fly. The linen skin looks the part too. Thanks Stephen and Ojcar!

• Like 1