Sign in to follow this  
tn_prvteye

Illuminator Flare float time

I'm still on my KAW kick...and was wanting to beat up some supply convoys with my Invader.  I noticed that the flare pods look great, but seem to fall too fast.  Any way to slow the descent down?  Being tinkering with the effect, but as I've stated earlier...I suck at effects.

YEARS ago I modified the Flare effect (the countermeasure) to do this, but that was at least...damn like 8 or 9 years ago now...and can't remember what I did.

And on another note, this sim's been out for 13 years now!  WOW.  I feel really, really old.  And yes I was a purchaser of the "Wal-Mart fiasco" version.  Hmmm, maybe I still have the disk. 

They burn just as they're supposed to ... not too fast, not too slow.

did you read the instructions for the flares, in one of the packs .. either in the AD-4N or the KAW weapons pak? (edit -- the 4NL pack)

From the readme:

======
-Using the Para-Flare for Night Operations:

It is best if YOU, as the flight lead have them only. You will have to go into you flightmates loadout on the Loading screen, and swap out the flare pods for bombs; this is really suggested!!

Then, YOU act as the FAC, locating the target on radar (for night Armed Recon), climb to between 5-7000 feet, and pop one off. It has a very long hang time -more than 2 minutes- and will light up a fairly large area (approx 1 tile width!!) bright as day. Then, you can direct you wingmates to 'attack my target' or 'attack ground targets' (or whatever the command is). On the enclosed screenshot 'para-flare.jpg', you can see how well it light things up. You can see the truck convoy at the crossroads even casting shadows.

You, yourself, will be carrying plenty of rocket podS (IF loaded by hand!); they're 7 shot units, and a full can of 20mm ammo. You should have no difficulties in wiping out the entire truck column.

For daytime ops, just swap out the flare pods for bombs on everyone.

Historically, the LAU-49 seen here was the FIRST mulit-rocket pod deployed by any US service, and was specifically designed for use on the -4N/NL for Korea.

VC-35, while being fully capable of daytime ops, was specifically tasked with Night Interdiciton missions, hitting truck convoys, troop concentrations, trains and any and all kinds of "rolling stock" the ChiComs and NKs had.

as for "weight" of particle ParticleWeight= is the value that determines the particle falling speed, negative values make it rise up

• Like 1

negative values make it rise up

Moriarty, here you go again with the negative (gravity) waves....

• Like 2

Hmmmmm...mine are snuffing out quite a bit sooner than 2 minutes.  I'll re-download the pack and try again.  Thanks, peoples.

When it's about bomb type illuminators,  they are flagged as retarded, with proper drag value - AND set an (insanely) high drag area modifier would give them a long descend. But yes altering gravity would do)))