dsawan

Any ham operators here?

Been thinking of doing this as a hobby and also to get work. Can this be done with pc's instead of traditional radios and does anyone know the types of jobs one could attain in their community. Thanks.

I know Ham operators in my area come in pretty damn handy when tracking tornadoes. They have classes all over the place when the season starts (I can never catch one). As far has how they do it I have no idea. But if you're in tornado alley I'm sure it'd be one those the more the merrier type things. Meteorologist rely on those people just as much if not more so than their radars when twisters hit.  

Ham? Oh man one of my favorite foods. I don't operate a ham farm but I eat the hell out of it. 

I just smoked one this weekend, still eating ham sandwiches. #heavenly

P1050856.jpg

• Like 2

:sorry: Okay we're not being nice, we hi-jacked this members thread.  I gave myself a warning and I'm apologizing, sorry about that.    :off_topic:    :oops:  

• Like 2

Sorry dsawan, we were just messing around.  :jk:

I haven't yet taken my amateur test, so no broadcasting for me, but I do have a Baofeng UV-5R+ of much infamy that I use to listen to local rescue squads, FRS/MURS/etc., and of course the local ham repeaters (K4MRA, K4KLH, KC4GXI, KE4CKJ, and W4PNT).  An old friend of mine picked up ham radio for a non-sighted hobby (he's almost 100% blind), and got the 5Rs in a two-pack so I bought the extra and have been fiddling with it.  It's a lack of get-up-and-go that's keeping me quiet, since I got plenty of radio experience a few years back working with Virginia's Emergency Management and such.