Constellation1710

I'm Not Sure Where to Ask This...

become a modder or developer.

this forum is mostly for SF2 modders, model builders and such

Wrench,

Okay, so you generally are looking for people who build models?  How does one become a developer (I assume you'd want people to develop a model or two)?

BTW: Do you have any room for "idea people" (i.e. people who either are model builders or non-model builders, though are regardless conceptual people who come up with ideas that can be adopted by other model builders?)

Constellation, creating a 3D model is not a prerequisite for joining the modders and developers forum,  Anyone who mods the series in any way and shares those same mods with the community, is considered a modder by our community.  

You can, for example, create new data.ini files for aircraft, ground & terrain objects,  One can also create new effects, design new textures, or even mix new sound effects, We even have a few talented members who are software coders, and have created various utilities for us.  

Find something that you're good at, contribute to the community, and you'll soon be considered a modder.

Constellation1710, the bulk of the modding discussion occurs in the modding forums devoted to the individual games. For example the Thirdwire: Strike Fighters 2 Series - Mods & Skinning DiscussionDigital Combat Simulator Series Modding/Skinning Chat, and IL-2 Series / Pacific Fighters / Cliffs of Dover: Mods & Skinning Chat forums. Look around the CombatAce forums concerning the games that interest you, and I would advise with the Strike Fighters 1 & 2 series to look in and familiarize yourself with the Knowledge Bases for SF1 and SF2. Once you have caught up on some of the reading feel free to dive in. This is one of the best online communities I have ever been involved with, just be considerate and respectful and you won't believe all of the people who will be happy to help you or even ask you for advice on a topic that you have demonstrated you are knowledgeable about. 

Finally I should point out that people widely regard me as something of a guru when it comes to SF2 Ground Object data files, I have collaborated with a number of model builders various ships for SF2 as well as being essentially the producer/art director on the V&W Class Destroyer Pack in addition to being a nice guy who pitches in to help other CA members when I read about some trouble one is having that I think I can solve. All of that, and even I don't have access to the Modding and Developer Forums or have the +MODDER group tag on my profile, so don't worry about the locked Modding and Developer Forums or whether you officially get classified as a modder just do what you enjoy, if you demonstrate your interest in modding through your actions people are going the consider you a modder regardless of access or official recognition.

Also just between you and me I thought the USS Constellation's registry number was NCC-1017 not 1710. :wink: Good to see another Trekker around. :cool:

KJLakker,

1. I'll take a look around the forums you suggested

2. As for the Star Trek episode "The Doomsday Machine": They wanted the vessel to have a hull number that was easily distinguishable from the Enterprise, after all they weren't sure how fans would react if they saw what they thought was the Enterprise all busted up.  It's interesting to note that the hull-number designations for the Federation ships in Star Trek were originally based on the following (this is probably more than you probably ever knew -- or WANTED to know about Star Trek)

• NC used to be a designation up to 1951 for commercial aircraft; N was used after
  • CCCC was what was used by the Soviet Union
  • Matt Jeffries figured by the time we'd be able to explore space like this, we'd have a global government.  As a result he combined the two to get NCC
  • He knew certain numbers like 1's and 7's were easily recognizable and wanted to use those in the design
  • He ultimately concluded that if you had a vessel that was say the 17th class of cruisers, it would have NCC-17__ in it's designation and the first ship would be NCC-1701
  • Early on the Enterprise wasn't going to be called a Constitution-Class, but a Starship Class (This admittedly makes little sense when you generally name the class after the first vessel in the line)
  • This was deviated early on: In the 1st season there was an episode titled "Court Martial" which had a chart of vessels being repaired and refitted.  A vessel with the hull number NCC-1700 was on the board with the designation "U.S.S. Constitution" (probably where the term Constitution Class came from)
  • While I suppose one could label the first vessel in the line with a -00 designation, it does seem pretty weird (a prototype would make more sense of course modern day we rarely build prototypes of aircraft and usually just go with pre-production models, and with ships the first ship is the prototype)
  • By the second season: "The Doomsday Machine" pretty much did away with it.  It should be noted that regardless, there was an artist (who was actually a draftsman who worked for Convair at one point) named Franz Joseph Schnaubelt (who just went by Franz Joseph).
  • Some of his drawings were considered canonical at one point (Gene Roddenberry changed his mind later on for one reason or another) though some of the designations were briefly mentioned in Star Trek The Motion Picture (Epsilon 9 Radio Chatter) and most of the vessels had a -1700 designation (except the Constellation)
  • Of course since NCC was to apply to cruiser vessels only based on Jeffrey's own designation and other vessels listed in FJ's book were classified as Destroyers, Frigates, Dreadnoughts, and Tugs, this sort of throws a monkey-wrench into everything (albeit unwittingly).
  • Later on in Star Trek: Especially in the retouched versions some of the vessels like the Exeter were given designations like NCC-1647 which also deviated from this, but at that point the system proposed was all but meaningless

I used the name Constellation for a number of reasons but part of it is because I'm an ST fan, I used 1710 because it made more sense and my birthday's October 17.

Edited by Constellation1710

Hope I didn't frighten you

No, no, nothing like that, I just had other things distracting me recently. In fact I knew about the reason for the Constellation's registry in "The Doomsday Machine". I was just trying to make a tongue in cheek comment as to how I caught onto the fact that you were a Star Trek fan. 

shoot, I still have my original copy of the Franz Josef manuel, from the 70s

shoot, I still have my original copy of the Franz Josef manuel, from the 70s

Wrench, is that the manual with the Federation-class Dreadnought and the patterns for the ST:TOS Starfleet uniforms in it?

D-7 Weapons test

Unknown_Intercept.wmv

Fubar, giving away spoilers.  :nono:  :grin:   

Constellation1710, if you have the SF2 series you need to download, setup, and play the Classified Mission Mod by FastCargo. You should get a kick out of it.

yup.

should also have, somewhere around here, the plastic pouch set of blueprints / deck plans for the TOS Enterprise.

one mustn't forget, I saw the TOS on it's original air dates. I'm an old fart !!! :biggrin:

yup.

should also have, somewhere around here, the plastic pouch set of blueprints / deck plans for the TOS Enterprise.

one mustn't forget, I saw the TOS on it's original air dates. I'm an old fart !!! :biggrin:

You should check out the cygnus-x1.net site. They have Lots of images from the various Star Trek tech manuals, papers, and other sources in their blueprint database.  

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/blueprints-main2.php

KJakker

No, no, nothing like that, I just had other things distracting me recently.
That's good to know.  I'm usually able to appear pretty normal despite being a Star Trek fan :D

In fact I knew about the reason for the Constellation's registry in "The Doomsday Machine".
Cool

I was just trying to make a tongue in cheek comment as to how I caught onto the fact that you were a Star Trek fan.
Oh, okay…

Constellation1710, if you have the SF2 series you need to download, setup, and play the Classified Mission Mod by FastCargo[/url[. You should get a kick out of it.
Is this the one where you're flying the F-16 trying to shoot down the USS Enterprise?

Oh, I've seen that site before!

Wrench

I think I do also…

I'm not that old, I was born in 1790

Fubar512

I love it!
  • Like 1