My latest project: The Continuation War.

Lots of skinning to do for this oft-forgotten David and Goliath battle. Jonathan's gorgeous Swedish terrain works pretty well for this. I did a lot of work with Ground Objects and now the flak is pretty heavy.

post-26185-0-11573200-1459360277_thumb.jpg

post-26185-0-99821100-1459360273_thumb.jpg

post-26185-0-73297400-1459360274_thumb.jpg

post-26185-0-17677800-1459360273_thumb.jpg

post-26185-0-55511100-1459360278_thumb.jpg

post-26185-0-12081900-1459360276_thumb.jpg

post-26185-0-91602400-1459360277_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

looks good, great idea

I only see one major problem...

the Buffalo isn't readily available to everyone ....

that could be a showstopper. 

Unless somebody else builds a new one, that's totally freeware

• Like 1

Oh there's more to it than that. The Lagg-3, Yak-1, Yak-7, I-153, I-152, SB-2, Blenheim Mk1, R-Z, Gladiator, and Bulldog are all DAT products. So this rather massive and varied install is something I cannot practically share. I also have an incredibly diverse SF2 MTO install with many new skins and FMs. It's so much fun and so exciting you honestly need to see heart doctor before you play it. I would love nothing more than to share it in the time-honored tradition of CA. Unfortunately, it's loaded with many DAT objects that a lot of folks are banned from using. So it really isn't practical to do so. *sigh* This schism between folks really chaps my hide sometimes.

Edited by ShrikeHawk
  • Like 1

well, i have Cocas' max files ... including the one below. I have all his started ww2 projects, all in various states of 'in progress'.

all we'd need is someone that can finish (this aircraft at least)...of the 20-something files I have, including some IJAAF birds. (there's a thread around here someplace that lists all of them)

I have max 2009, but just don't know how to use it beyond opening and viewing the file.

You can share whatever you've done; just not the lods. Which, of course closes the circle. No matter how I feel personally about him, I still respect "The Rules" he carved into stone, written in the blood of the Modders, even though he bans people without even tell them why...

• Like 1

Yep. That's the thing. I agreed not to share out DAT's LODs so I intend to respect that. I wish everyone would forgive and let bygones be bygones and all of DAT's resources would be everyone's again. 

In respect to 3DS I'd be happy to learn it and take on Cocas' (and maybe now Geezer's) files. Problem is, I don't have $3,000 laying around to buy it with. Is Raven still in the modeling biz? I loved his work. For now, skins are like teats on a boar without the LODs. There's no point. If someone could finish out Cocas' Buffalo, I'd make a new skin for it, and throw in an FM to boot.

I got a PM for raven last week. He's still settling in to his new place, and had some computer issues. I think he fixed those.  Which means that at some time in the near future (this year), he'll be back to working on the Peacemaker. His model, just from the WIP shots will make any other look like it's made of Legos!!

as to be Buff (F2A), I have 100% historicly correct modex and serials for VMF-221 at Midway

• Like 1

Thought I'd add some useful info about terminology that may help you guys. 

3D models exist for their own sake in the model space of the 3D program (Max, Blender, etc).  Models are built, tweaked, and finalized in that 3D model space, which has NOTHING to do with any game software.

Only after the 3D model is "finished" is it then converted to a LOD (Level Of Detail) for use in a game system.  The conversion process can sometimes be quick/easy, and other times be involved/time consuming - it depends on the situation.  Because of actions the modeler takes to convert the 3D model to a LOD, the two are NOT automatically the same object with different names. 

Assuming "model" and "LOD" can be used interchangeably can sometimes get you in a lot of trouble because they are actually two different things.  Related, but different.

I've been thinking about making a small batch of 1930s aircraft models available, but the devil is always in the details.  Its actually a lot of work, and - because of format issues - could easlily be a big waste of time if not done right.  Specifically, how many of you guys can open a .3ds format model?  How many can open an .obj format model?  Its a time consuming PITA to make these conversions, so I am NOT going to make both.  You guys need to decide which it will be.

A while back, I was offered the LOD of an Re-2005. It came with only a couple files including a basic skin. I surprised myself and built out the rest, including DATA file, loadouts, decals, etc. Turns out I can do a whole lot so long as I've got an LOD.

Geezer, if you can provide an LOD and a basic skin (so I know where everything is positioned) I can run with the rest. You made some gorgeous models. It would be a shame for them to go unfinished.

A while back, I was offered the LOD of an Re-2005. It came with only a couple files including a basic skin. I surprised myself and built out the rest, including DATA file, loadouts, decals, etc. Turns out I can do a whole lot so long as I've got an LOD.

Geezer, if you can provide an LOD and a basic skin (so I know where everything is positioned) I can run with the rest. You made some gorgeous models. It would be a shame for them to go unfinished.

Even 'simple' is very time consuming - I have other things to do.  What I plan on doing is converting some of my 1930s China war 3D models to either .3ds or .obj format, then let you guys finish the development process.  I will not convert models to LODs, nor will I map the models so an artist can make skins.  You guys will have to do that yourselves.

• Like 1

I understand. Thanks for making them available at least. All you've done for the community is much appreciated!

• Like 1