Lockheed F-104C Starfighter - 119 Squadron, Israeli Air Force, 1967

The end of the Algerian war in 1962 saw General de Gaulle begin to mend France’s relationship with the Arab world and this put it's previously strong relationship with Israel under increasing strain. For a short while, France tried to balance it's relationships with the Arabs and the Israelis but during the Summer of 1963 things took a turn for the worse culminating in an unexpected and immediate arms embargo on Israel announced on September 1st, 1963. Whilst not known at the time, it was later discovered that this was due to the discovery of a major Mossad intelligence operation being conducted at the heart of the French government.

With barely one-half of it's 70 Dassault Mirage IIICJ's having been delivered the Israeli Air Force began urgent talks with several fighter manufacturers expressing strong interest in the BAC Lightning and the Grumman F11F-1F Super Tiger before a surprise political intervention was made in early November 1963 by President John F. Kennedy which saw the donation of 36 F-104C's all transferred from USAF stocks. Entering service in March 1964, the F-104C's equipped two squadrons of the Israeli Air Force seeing action in the 1967 Six-Day War and the 1973 Yom Kippur war before being retired in 1975.

IDF%20F-104C%20STARFIGHTER.01_zpslfq1tiu

IDF%20F-104C%20STARFIGHTER.02_zpsxq56b8l

IDF%20F-104C%20STARFIGHTER.03_zpsqvb5ko3

IDF%20F-104C%20STARFIGHTER.05_zpsycvhwly

IDF%20F-104C%20STARFIGHTER.04_zpspxkpvqg

IDF%20F-104C%20STARFIGHTER.06_zpsis867m7

• Like 3

Was the F-104 a good dogfighter

I wouldn't have thought so but I'm sure an expert will be along soon to say otherwise ; )

Like any other plane it had strengths and weaknesses. I think the Israelis would have used tactics similar to the North Vietnamese and the MiG-21..... zoom and boom to break up the formations then back home for more gas. They also would have put Shafrir 2s on em quick. One of the best IR AAMs before the 80s.

well, they were kind of disapointing in Pakistani service (104A) against Indian MiG-21s. But, as always, it's the pilot using his aircraft's strenghs against the opponents weaknesses

Again very impressed with your skinning!  Now this one we can only hope you might upload!

Sorry but the skin is actually quite rough and it would take ages to put right (I did try and just wasted 90 minutes on the air brakes). 

Even with mues viewer?

Yes, even with Mue's viewer.

that makes no sense ... ALL TK's zippers are mapped the same -- A/C/G/CF -- the only difference on the C is the _1 map, where the refueling probe resides.

But, whatever!!

that makes no sense ... ALL TK's zippers are mapped the same -- A/C/G/CF -- the only difference on the C is the _1 map, where the refueling probe resides.

But, whatever!!

img00005_zpssgwpf3j8.jpg

No problem identifying the damn things but getting the paint to match the camo pattern was a bitch and I don't like getting bogged down (and don't have the time either).

Edited by Spinners

oh, I WHOLEHEARTEDLY agree!!! LOL!!! far more fun, and easier things to do!!!  :biggrin:

Alfie, send me you decals ini, so I can get your marking "mounted"

I didn't have much of a problem, converting to IDF 2 tone (mostly around the canopy I had issues with the mapping. All fixed now!!)

Pattern is slightly different than yours, but all maps mesh