I dont know if anyone has seen this or not but Im hoping to get one of you modders interested in another project...namely a cockpit for a MiG-17F. Here is a picture I found at the cavanaugh Air museum website...

Pic9.jpg

http://www.cavanaughflightmuseum.com/CFMMain.html

hint...hint... :wink:

I might take a shot at it after the Su-17 is wrapped up. Dave and I were working together today to get many of the gauges in the Su-17 cockpit operational and much of that work can transfer over to the other Russian cockpits. Thanks to TK, there is a new instrument type that was added in the patch that allows us to model the Russian style ADI accurately now.

I already have some good detail photos of various Russian cockpits, so if someone wants to start modeling the basic shape, I will be more than happy to contribute the textures I have.

Ahh si it's true about what I read about the vertical white line in the cockpit.

Apparantly, it was there so if the MiG-15 started a flat spin, the pilot was supposed to push the stick to the white line to get out of it.

There is a privately owned MiG-15 in Daytona Beach near where I live... I wonder if I could get a chance to see it, maybe get permission to snap some pics.

I'd REALLY like to see those pics if/when you are able to get them Oliver. Might help the modders too.

Lookin forward to that SU-17 Sal. Hope you'll have time for the MiG-17.

Hey guys, I've been hoping someone would take a crack at a MiG-17 pit, here's a few more pictures which might help; shows off the side panels to good effect.

http://ipmslondon.tripod.com/referencearticles/id2.html

The main panel itself is not an exact original and contains some Western gauges, however the side panels and other associated systems are genuine. I'm sure there are plenty of other sites available with good reference shots for this particular aircraft. Looking forward to someone taking up the challenge. We need more MiG cockpits! :wink:

A -17 cockpit would be useful for Migs 15 and 19 as well, and others (Pasko's and C5's La-15). An additional cockpit version with a radar scope added would be useful for the radar equipped MiG17s and MiG-19s. It wouldn't be totally realistic -- these had wider cockpits for the large radar boot -- but I've been using one of the early MiG-21 pits with radar disabled and the scope painted over for the 15/17/19 day fighters, but the radar is available for when flying the night fighter versions. A 17 pit version with radar would be even better. But, to be honest, that extra effort for a radar version would really be best if TK could support classical strategic ops in the future, so I'm more than Happy with the MiG-21 pit!!

I know they're not perfect, but there are a some tweeked Skyhawk pits for 17/17PF-PFU/19 and Su-9s both here at CA and at my site.

What I don't remember is, if I tweeked to pilot positions to get them more in line with the physical model. Guess I'll have to check and see.

I do remember is that they use the RP-22 style radar bmp from the PFU.

If you all want them, I'll check the pilot positon, and update the ones here at CA.

Again, while not perfect, they are quite a workable alternative.

Wrench

Kevin Stein

Edited by Wrench

But ultimately it would be nice to have an accurate cockpit for the MiG-17, after all, you're going to be spending your time staring at that cockpit; personally I don't want to use a modified version of another plane's pit, it will always be that plane's pit to me and just doesn't sit right. Building cockpits is however a time consuming and difficult task, those that are producing them are already committed to other tasks or are simply too busy. There are some awesome Soviet cockpits already available (Su-15, Su-17, Su-27, MiG-21 etc), however we really do need some for the early MiG series, I'm sure there's someone out there with the knowledge, skill and enthusiasm to put one or more together. :wink:

cockpit makers are rare (since it's a very difficult et time consuming art) ........but it seems that we get more and more talentupus cockpit makers....

the last one of them is ca stary with his upcoming viggen pit................

we must keep hope for this..........sometimes someones will do a accurate mig-17 pit

after since sfp1 is out we can now fly some plane that we could not even imagine to fly in a sim (like the mirage series for exemple .....or the mig-21.....or a av8-c) .....so who knows what will come in the futur?

We're starting to get some really good original pits from certain authors, which is fantastic, now I can only hope that some of them will turn their attention to the lesser focused upon Soviet aircraft.

Edited by BaronVonZenith