Sign in to follow this  
quack74

Engine reliability for prop planes?

Anyone know if there is a parameter in an aircrafts' DATA.ini that would allow for AI aircraft in my flight to have engine failure? Maybe a random overheat. 

I don't know what to change in the data.ini but if you let me do maintenance on any engine it will break down pretty fast :wink:

• Like 3

Then you must have worked on DH9's in your former life with the IAF. Lol

• Like 1

Try tinkering with these settings located under the "Engine" section of the aircraft data inis:

GasTempChangeRate=0.1

OverheatTemp=100
DamageTempDelta=20
OverheatDamageRate=

I haven't dug into those yet but they look promising...increasing the overheatdamagerate, maybe also lowering the overheattemp slightly, and increasing the gastempchangerate might do the trick.

Try something like this for starters, to see if there's a difference:

GasTempChangeRate=0.2
OverheatTemp=80
DamageTempDelta=20
OverheatDamageRate=30

I will experiment with this too - interesting find. ReLoad for RB3D has random engine failure settings, it sure would be nice to get an effect like that into FE2.

Von S
  • Like 2

Thanks VonS. I will try it out this weekend sometime.

Try tinkering with these settings located under the "Engine" section of the aircraft data inis

Thank you, dear friend!

I was going to ask the same question, but quack74 asked first. ))

I noticed that the engines of our aircraft are always reliable. I think that this is due to the fact that FE based on the jet sim engine. Of course, a modern jet engines is much more reliable than a piston engines of the early 20th century. Flying in FE, I never could not cause a sudden engine failure. Any sharp maneuvers or long flights at full thrust. A motor never failed, never overheating and never caught fire. He did not even sneezed or faltered. It is obvious that the behavior of the engine in the game is not very realistic (it's a combat game, a light sim and so on). But I thought that into the game should be the engine to overheat, at least. Because the jets are also prone to overheating, and therefore, in the SFP1 engine may be 'hidden' such possibility.

Edited by Crawford

Thank you, dear friend!

I was going to ask the same question, but quack74 asked first. ))

I noticed that the engines of our aircraft are always reliable. I think that this is due to the fact that FE based on the jet sim engine. Of course, a modern jet engines is much more reliable than a piston engines of the early 20th century. Flying in FE, I never could not cause a sudden engine failure. Any sharp maneuvers or long flights at full thrust. A motor never failed, never overheating and never caught fire. He did not even sneezed or faltered. It is obvious that the behavior of the engine in the game is not very realistic (it's a combat game, a light sim and so on). But I thought that into the game should be the engine to overheat, at least. Because the jets are also prone to overheating, and therefore, in the SFP1 engine may be 'hidden' such possibility.

Yes, this would be wonderful if arbitrary engine failure could be incorporated - will test further and post results should anything successful happen. Getting the engines to over-rev and overheat would be key to having this happen, or at least some code that "cuts out" the engine when we don't expect it.

Von S

:hi:

How’s it going? What is the results?

You may have to take into account that most of the FM is created by the moderators for the Normal difficulty. Also computer fly on the Normal difficulty (I mean the Autopilot and AI pilots). Because of this, when you fly on a Hard mode, there may be glitches. In addition, in this game there is no way to embed sounds for new developments - such as the sound of the engine failures, for example.

Anyway, I don’t need to tell you, you know yourself!

:hi:

How’s it going? What is the results?

You may have to take into account that most of the FM is created by the moderators for the Normal difficulty. Also computer fly on the Normal difficulty (I mean the Autopilot and AI pilots). Because of this, when you fly on a Hard mode, there may be glitches. In addition, in this game there is no way to embed sounds for new developments - such as the sound of the engine failures, for example.

Anyway, I don’t need to tell you, you know yourself!

Hello Crawford, results are very good in several areas (increased realism in FE2 with historical ammo. loads, gun jams, also improved gun sounds) - I have had some success with engine tweaking but this only affects them once they're damaged - still no way to get arbitrary engine failure going without damage. My full post on latest developments can be found here....

http://combatace.com/topic/88786-fe2-observations-and-musings/page-2?do=findComment&comment=719218

Happy flying,

Von S

• Like 1

Well, I don't doubt that in the least. You seem to know this part of the game very well.
Unfortunately, the game's code for engine controls is poor and rudimentary. Maybe something hidden in the .dll files, but we don't have access to them...
Be that as it may, you had made good progress. :ty:

• Like 1

Well, I don't doubt that in the least. You seem to know this part of the game very well.

Unfortunately, the game's code for engine controls is poor and rudimentary. Maybe something hidden in the .dll files, but we don't have access to them...

Be that as it may, you had made good progress. :ty:

Thank you for the kind words. The .dll files are easy enough to extract from the game on the OS X side, in WineSkin...I think the magic one is the FlightEngine.dll...but it's useless to me since I'm not a coder and don't understand what to do with the file. Opening it in a simple text program gives me confusing machine code that would have to be translated over into something readable using another program of some kind...the only thing I've been able to learn is that FE2 is probably written in C++ computer language. Perhaps FE2 flyers who are also software developers or code experts and are running the game in WineSkin will extract the FlightEngine.dll file for themselves and have a look at what's inside...I'm sure that the code for engine controls is somewhere in there - but that is way beyond my tweaking abilities. Another problem would be how to re-integrate a modded FlightEngine.dll back into the core FE2 game itself on the Windows side...in WineSkin it's easy enough since from the UNIX/OS X side of things I can just dump in the new dll and replace the old one - and then fly in FE2. I have no idea how this kind of re-integration would work in Windows.

Happy flying,

Von S

Edited by VonS
  • Like 1

The .dll files are easy enough to extract from the game on the OS X side, in WineSkin...I think the magic one is the FlightEngine.dll...but it's useless to me since I'm not a coder and don't understand what to do with the file. Opening it in a simple text program gives me confusing machine code that would have to be translated over into something readable using another program of some kind...the only thing I've been able to learn is that FE2 is probably written in C++ computer language.

Exactly. That's what I meant. But modders will never be seized of the matter, because it is the intellectual property of the developer. TK did not give permission to edit the system code of the game

Edited by Crawford
  • Like 1