When I access the weapons editor. I can't save any changes due to the weapon editor covering the whole save option it works ok but I can save or make any changes.

We all learned a long time ago NOT to use the weapons editor in SF2, as it generally doesn't work well, and more often than not makes a mess of things. If you're adding a third-party weapon, do so by placing it in its own named folder under OBJECTS/WEAPONS.

• Like 1

Understandable but how am I gonna change say for instance on how to change a missile booster sound name and effects such as being able to see the missile fire and smoke to it

What I have found is useful is to make a new folder and point to that folder using the weapons editor.  In that folder have only a couple of weapons 10 at most.  I believe that when you hit save it tries to save every single data file in the weapons folder which in effect leads to crashes... SOOOO... if you only have a couple of weapons in the folder your editing in it works really well.  Then of course move your newly editied weapons to the weapons folder you want them in.

In other words step 1- Make new folder on desktop

Step 2- Place the couple of weapons you want to edit in said folder (V3S Snake for example) 

Step 3- Open weapon editor and direct it to your new folder... Click on V3S

Step4- Edit your weapon then save it... Because your new folder has only a few weapons in it it should not crash

Step5- Move newly edited V3S folder back to your weapons folder in your mods folder

• Like 1

why would one even NEED the weapons editor to change simple things (like the sounds or effects)?

Weapons' data inis are simple plain text.

If you can't do it from there, you shouldn't be messing with it. At all

Yes, for me, the main use of the weapon editor is to check quickly the characteristics of a weapon I don't know.

• Like 1