Sign in to follow this  
Spudknocker

Three separate factions on a terrain?

Hey Ca, quick question, is there a way to have 3 separate factions on a terrain... For example an american carrier group, or Saudi F-15's over the gulf in an Iran-Iraq war type terrain 

Nope. Unfortunately this is a limit in TW's SF2. You can set two factions, one Friendly, one Enemy. Other countries listed in the _nations.ini are either Friendly or Enemy. My idea about the terrain was to make Iran NEUTRAL (it seems it "works", the game treats it like FRIENDLY, but spawns no aircraft), Iraq ENEMY and Saudi Arabia FRIENDLY.  Iran can be set as Enemy in specific campaigns, I think, with no side effects (I am not sure how airbases will be handled though).

Edited by blaze95

only three (really 2) alignments are allowed

Friendly

Enema

Neutral (which will appear as "red" enemy on the inflight maps)

anything places in a "neutral zone" will be ignored by both side. What I don't remember is, will any air defense units left over there do anything. My gut says no, but can't really remember.

Ah ok sounds good, my working theory for now is to have two separate terrains for those of us who like flying single missions, Western Asia 1975-1989 for Iran-Iraq action and Western Asia 1989-2003 for desert storm through desert fox action 

I did something similar. I put together a big install with Iraqi, Iranian and western planes and objects and had 4 terrains:

IranIraq for the Iran Iraq war 1980-88

ODS for Desert Shield and Desert Storm

Persian Gulf and IR2003 for western ops against Iran in the 1980's and post-ODS eras respectively, including Operation Darius.

Now Wrench is going to jump in and tell me I could have done it all on one terrain!

:laugh:

You can set a nation as neutral.

But this nation will not send out planes.

The air defence of the nation will work partly. IIRC it will fire on red planes, but ignor blue planes. Or was it the other way round?

I tested it a long time ago with my Baltic Entrance terrain with Sweden set as neutral. Swedish SAMs attacked either the red or the blue planes, but never both sides. But i have forgotten which side was attacked.

For a campaign you can include or exclude nations from a map. It has done first with TKs WOI campaigns. In Yom Kippur Campaign Jordan was set as neutral and jordanian planes never appeared in game. In 1982 campaign only syrian planes were active, while jordanian, egyptian and all other red nations acted as neutral.