Sign in to follow this  
Phantomworks

Black Tomcat skins in Operation Desert Storm Redux

Hello,

I just got Operation Desert Storm Redux up and running. Two questions at the moment, my Tomcat skins are only showing up black. I took a look at the Aircraft folder and I can see the skins there for the respective F14 folders. Any ideas?

Also, I was wondering if there is an update for the aircraft carriers in terms that they have no other aircraft on decks it is completely empty. Anyway to spruce these up with more objects?

Many thanks again,

G

I've had this happen a couple of times. Either the skin .bmp or .jpg is in a nested folder where the sim doesn't know to look, or the aircraft's lod is looking for one kind of texture file, like .bmp, or .jpg, and the texture in your skin folder is in another format, like .dds. Both these have happen to me in the past, hope this helps.

long and short, first check that the images are in the right folder. if they are, then use paint and save as something different than what it is (if jpeg, save as a bmp file, or vice versa). iirc, the none of hte Tomcats available (here or stock) use dds skins, sooooo leave that alone for now. same as what Heck said, but in an instruction format.

hope that helps

another thing overlooked...

if you have SF2NA, and have the STOCK 3r Wire F-14, there may be a conflict existing between the one in ODS. Meaning: it may be the wrong aircraft looking for the wrong skins (or vice versa), because of 'same named folders'.

iirc, didn't that mod pre-date SF2NA, so only the TMF Tomcat would be available? (somebody refresh me memory!)

Thanks all for your feedback and ideas.  I seemed to have fixed it in a roundabout way which I may have to revert as the game crashed when I was switching views between objects. First I tried to use the Super Tomcat Pack to replace the A and A+....that did not work. When I copied the ODS orgininals back in, overwriting the Super Pack Cats, it started working....now, just then I spotted something that I missed in the installation instructions, I did not use the optional SF2NA files to use the stock Tomcat data. So I did that too.

It all looked like everything was solved, apart from the crash. Not sure if ODS is prone to occasional crashes?

I may try to do a clean setup again. BTW I also added the latest Viper Team F16's as I felt that the included F16's were dated. To check, is there an official way to add more up to date aircraft to ODS, like the F16's for example.

Thanks,

G

Actually I am wondering, as I installed ODS Redux, I see that it was uploaded 2014. Should I instead download ODS updated to SF2 standards that was uploaded or updated in 2016? Not sure what is the best one to use?