Sign in to follow this  
UllyB

Need help for terrain transformation

I tried to transform Sundowner's Alternate Falklands Terrains (The Falklands_1983 one, the one which has a britsh airbase at Port Stanley) for SF1. Learning from the past mistakes I managed to do that but I encountered two issues:

- any attempt to take off from Port Stanley ended in plane blown up, on runway, before I got a chance to enter the cockpit.(the wingmen manage to take off but they steer at 45 degrees right and use the "field" near airstrip for taking off)

- sea texture was flickering, viewed from a certain angle.

After tweaking a bit, I managed to get rid of the flickering completely, but ran into a new issue, some white big squares appeared in specific areas on the map and I don't know how to replace them with green tiles (that would be an easy fix I think), I don't have their coordinates and I don't know which tiles (bitmaps) correspond for those coordinates.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you in advance. I use the SF1/WOI environment.

Edited by UllyB

I figured it out what was the deal with the white squares, some JPGs evaded me in the dataini file when I changed JPG to BMP.

I solved the blow out issue replacing the thrid party airstrip with some from DESERT CAT, but they look naked now and I have to improvise to "recontruct" the airstrips. They are 3, Port Stanley, Pebble Island and Mount Pleasant. Now they look like this:

img00062.jpg

img00060.jpg

img00061.jpg

I encountered the airfield issue once in SF2, don't know if it applies to SF1, haven't used that in years, but the problem was a misplaced airfield when I looked at that airfield in Mue's terrain editor. For some reason the runway's position was some distance away from the airfield's location in the terrain's target ini.

I encountered the wrong take off direction once in a mod that I downloaded to use in SF1 many years ago and that turned out to be a wrong cat file called out in the Terrain's ini. The sim wanted the Desert cat, and I didn't have that yet, so I had changed it the GermanyCE cat, which I did own, but that put all the airfields in the wrong orientation. I could only correct it by springing for SF1 itself, to get the Desert cat.

No, here the problem is not the same. I'll explain, as far as finally now i understood (I think): the airstrips for British are "third party" kindda've made, with custom airstrip places and custom names for runway bitmaps, so I have to find them and rename them. Being a custom made terrain the default DESERT CAT runways texture is "hidden" under the green texture of the map, that is the reson they can't be seen in pictures I presume. I have to match the custom bitmaps names with the ones standard which  desert stock runways are built of and then I have to see if they align, I hope they will, otherwise i must figure a way to match them, changing figures in files etc.

I have the Desert CAT file, otherwise game would've crashed. I never did that until now, so that is a big confusion state into my mind and I have to clear it or to get a different perspective.

Edited by UllyB

SF1 is not SF2. Simple thing.

Get SF2 and those silly questions won´t come into your mind. ;-)

Edited by Soulfreak
  • Like 1

Nope. It's not gonna happen too soon. I have ALL SF2 series , but I am inlove with SF1 and I put all my efforts into this version for now.

However I solved the issues. I scrubbed the Port San Carlos (it has to be reoriented and I don't have enough time now). I recreated the other three British airstrips (switched the LODs of each for the Desert stock ones), Goose Green, Mount Pleasant and Port Stanley. I also recreated the Pebble Island airstrip, which , for now, is in Argentinian hands. I also made some house cleaning with the airstrip's lights and now everything works fine , no crashes, no flcikering, no blown up things, no nothing. Exactly how I like it. Another SF2 terrain brought into my vast collection for SF1/WOI series. I can't wait to create a Falklands campaign with the new settings.

Case closed.

12 hours ago, UllyB said:

Nope. It's not gonna happen too soon. I have ALL SF2 series , but I am inlove with SF1 and I put all my efforts into this version for now.

It have some advantages, can I ask which system your computer uses? Mine is on Win7, and I can run SF1 right from the box, but sometimes look pretty strange.

I have WIn 7 x64. It runs exactly how you said, out of the box and I have a powerfull pc (over 60fps with all hordes of 3D objects thrown at it) and an state of the art AOC UHD monitor so I have very high details and vista even in SF1, it looks at least as good as SF2, except the cockpits. The cockpits are the real jewels in SF2. Plus I started a overhaul of the cockpit details (higher textures for all cockpit instruments 4096 and higher). If one would take a look at my monitor while I'm playing, he would think that I am playing ...another game. LOL

By the way, you said that sometimes it can look strange. I encountered on a friend's machine something alike, but on my MSI videocard...NEVER those strangenesses. However, they were "generated" because the videocard couldn't catch up with the 3D objects thrown at it (not enough powerfull), so the figures on the planes' fuselages were "dancing" somehow, a strange but interesting "effect".

Edited by UllyB

Big white squares are missing tiles. In SF2 world it would be black squares.

It could be, that it are tiles in jpg format, which IIRC SF1 cant handle.

• Thanks 1