Menrva

All pilots, scramble! New terrains inbound!

1 hour ago, Menrva said:

As long as it is for your own use, feel free to do so. Actually, I originally set the year span to 1993-2030, but various Real World changes happened after 2006 (Montenegro got independent, grew closer to the West and later joined NATO; Macedonia got renamed to North Macedonia; Kosovo self-declared its independence, etc.) and those would require a third version of the terrain. To keep things simple and scenarios realistic, I limited the year span to 1993-2006. If you increase it to 2030, you'll see that a couple of airports disappear at given years, because they were either destroyed or abandoned, so I also took into account such events.

I haven't flown a combat mission in the game since forever, but I do like to free fly around the terrains. I usually fly the mountain ranges and the like, so a few missing bases isn't a big deal really. And yeah I'll mod it for myself when I download it.

Edited by EricJ

3 hours ago, Menrva said:

but various Real World changes happened after 2006

really after late 2001

I was in the second rotation into Kosovo, and hearing through my first few years in about Bosnia. after 9/11, the Balkans practically dropped off the radar for everyone outside of the Balkans (and the few that continue to rotate through)

but the second map will be very good for the 90s. especially as not only USAFE units flew in that AOR but many units did rotations through as well. at least 3 of the AFRES units rotated through, and while researching other units i discovered several units i wouldnt have guessed rotated through (like the 18th FS out of Alaska)

Great Terrains @Menrva Fantastic for low flying in the valleys.

If you do an update to the 1993 terrain you may want to add some more NATO nations to the Nations.ini to represent the various contributors to Operations Deliberate Force (1995) and Allied Force (1999). I've added these to my install:

FriendlyNation010=RAF
FriendlyNation011=RoyalNavy
FriendlyNation012=WGermany
FriendlyNation013=WGermanNavy
FriendlyNation014=Belgium
FriendlyNation015=Netherlands
FriendlyNation016=Denmark
FriendlyNation017=Canada
FriendlyNation018=Spain
FriendlyNation019=Portugal
FriendlyNation020=Norway
FriendlyNation021=Turkey 

• Like 2

good call Allen, although to plug direct into his all numbers should go up by one. Macedonia needs to stay, it was a big staging point for north into Kosovo. I spent Millenium New Years at Camp Able Sentry outside Skopje and it was pretty built up even then.

back to countries, the US in general and USAFE specifically got the limelight for Deny Flight and Allied Force. but it was very much a NATO show. Spanish Hornets and Dutch Vipers are first to pop in mind tho there was much more

2 hours ago, daddyairplanes said:

good call Allen, although to plug direct into his all numbers should go up by one. Macedonia needs to stay, it was a big staging point for north into Kosovo. I spent Millenium New Years at Camp Able Sentry outside Skopje and it was pretty built up even then.

So we should also add FrIendlyNation0xx=USA for US Army choppers.

as much as this retired Soldier would like to agree, not sure its good for a universal addition. the helos out there have a mix of USA and USAF nations so adding to the terrain wouldnt garuntee a show up

does add something for me to do later in my own tho thank you very much :lol:

a really interesting case would be Russia, given they were there for a few years after the bombing stopped. there was a cell of them at Camp Montieth to coordinate with KFOR as i recall, as well as their main body outside of Pristina. i say interesting because they are usually enemy in most installs, but not so much right then IRL

Outstanding! Fantastic additions!:good:

• Thanks 1

My Balkans war knowledge isn't 100%, but in the 1993+ terrain should Sarajevo, or the airport at least, be FRIENDLY, so UN and NATO relief flights can fly in? 

The Targets.ini is showing them as ENEMY

57 minutes ago, allenjb42 said:

My Balkans war knowledge isn't 100%, but in the 1993+ terrain should Sarajevo, or the airport at least, be FRIENDLY, so UN and NATO relief flights can fly in? 

Allen, as I previously said in the terrain's support topic, I'm not going to work on the terrain anymore at this stage. It burned me out badly. I have no motivation.

For simplicity and gameplay purposes all of Bosnia is Red Side. If and when a campaign will be made, front line changes can all be controlled in the campaign data. If you prefer to have Sarajevo on Blue Side, you can change it yourself.

Edited by Menrva
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the clarification Menrva. Your health takes priority my friend.