RIBob

Let's ADD to This Forum

I'm an idiot user, but can plainly see that EAW versions of games are best served by having more than one forum.  After all, if the primary depositary goes extinct, where will all the info reside?

We have all seen extinct sites, and doing so is a very sad thing because all the work the modders that contributed to such extinct sites was in vain.  So, let's not let it happen again.  As is said in the armed forces, "Two is one, and one is none".  

May I ask that EAW users not only post on alternate sites, but copy and paste their comments/posts here?  Doing so would support the game overall, not to mention this site. The primary goal is support of the EAW/UAW sim, and NOT any particular Site.  FWIW, I have zero connection in regards this site.

I humbly ask your consideration for the good of the EAW sim, and all its variants.

Edited by RIBob
  • Like 1

You're certainly no idiot user, but a very enthusiastic one who has contributed to reigniting my own interest in this great game. In response to your call, I have posted a few screenshots of how EAW can look nowadays in another thread I've created ('European Air War in 2019').

SH, you have made some very considerable additions to the EAW community yourself.  It's people like you that I was hoping to motivate, and I am delighted that you have stepped-up and made some positive contributions!

@RIBob

Not sure why you keep thinking less of yourself as far as EAW technical stuff goes / or for any reason.

You've given me a ton of quirky info that I needed to be added to my Help Site. Hence VBH and You wanted it reorganized, so I did it. Took all night one night, but I got most of it in place during that time. :)

I don't know if cross posting here at CombatACE and SimHQ EAW forums is ideal. However, Maybe it is, I find that I give different info on similar topics based on responses in each forum.
Its hectic to maintain ones deliverance of info when divided by two locations. But Again However, I find Some topics get polluted quickly with some posters not staying on topic, and they derail it. Sometimes the similar topic on the other forum remains on the original posters subject.

LOL. I'm just being funny. But I do know derailed threads are harmful for those seeking true feedback. To me I just write up a new help doc and call it a day :) That Help doc can be viewed over and over again and be ready for anyone who cares for it. 

PS I've just noticed my Reputation is a +7. Ha. I don't really use that feature for anything so I won't be worrying about using that click bait stuff for anyone either. :) I can express it in my posts with text, thank you for understanding......

BTW I responded to your current PM recently ;)

Edited by MarkEAW
  • Like 1

On 4/12/2019 at 7:50 AM, MarkEAW said:

@RIBob

Not sure why you keep thinking less of yourself as far as EAW technical stuff goes / or for any reason.

You've given me a ton of quirky info that I needed to be added to my Help Site. Hence VBH and You wanted it reorganized, so I did it. Took all night one night, but I got most of it in place during that time. :)

I don't know if cross posting here at CombatACE and SimHQ EAW forums is ideal. However, Maybe it is, I find that I give different info on similar topics based on responses in each forum.
Its hectic to maintain ones deliverance of info when divided by two locations. But Again However, I find Some topics get polluted quickly with some posters not staying on topic, and they derail it. Sometimes the similar topic on the other forum remains on the original posters subject.

LOL. I'm just being funny. But I do know derailed threads are harmful for those seeking true feedback. To me I just write up a new help doc and call it a day :) That Help doc can be viewed over and over again and be ready for anyone who cares for it. 

PS I've just noticed my Reputation is a +7. Ha. I don't really use that feature for anything so I won't be worrying about using that click bait stuff for anyone either. :) I can express it in my posts with text, thank you for understanding......

BTW I responded to your current PM recently ;)

Mark, I am what I am.  A simple user of the game.  I was not able to play the game until I read your Help Site, and followed the directions exactly.  I will always be in your debt for that.

As for anything else, I am a simple User, and certainly no programmer or anything else.  Maybe sometimes I ask some questions, or make suggestions, to be incorporated or ignored as seen fit.

I have zero doubt that your Help site is the fundamental reason why EAW still has legs.  Without you, and your Site, the Game would have died long ago.

Thanks for what you've done, and continuing to do.

People like you count, people like me don't.

RIBob

I only had the site since I think Feb 2015, or was it 2016? heh can't recall right now.

So the real work (VBH and CodeGroup with their games) where supporting a small group of followers too.

and anyhow like I said you helped me a lot with feedback, which helped others. So you count in regards to supporting EAW as well.
No need to be so hard on yourself regarding where you stand with computers, from what you tell me your doing just fine with them.
I'm no expert myself, I carry on like everyone else, wondering how to do things, and how to in the right way.

Thanks for your help and support.

Thanks for your very kind comments, Mark.  I have always respected your steady, and ongoing, contributions to the EAW Community, whilst not allowing yourself to be drawn into needless conflict.  I think that you have made a far greater impact to the EAW Community than you give yourself credit for, as your Help Site allows people having copies of the game to be finally able to play them, and perhaps to progress to more elaborate versions of the Game.  That most definitely includes me.

Every single person in the EAW Community owes you a great deal for your efforts.  My saying so is simple acknowledgement of your longstanding efforts.

Thanks!

RIBob

I find a lot of people that start EAW up again use the patched stock game the most.
(my EAWHS site location on the net: https://eaw.neocities.org/ ) 

I've seen some of those people ask about the other versions and types of the game shortly after they find out about them.
Hence now my 'First Use Help Document' was written to notify them sooner than later as the case was before my site was reorganized.

I whole heartily believe in all my Help Docs (except where noted :)  , but the First Use Help Doc is important.
It may save some users time by jumping straight into EAWPRO or the CodeGroups standalones.
Even if they go stock and then add hex edited exe versions they will be well off to having fun building up from stock to a custom private build with community created game data.

Thanks again RIBob.

Edited by MarkEAW

Mark, I've come to radically reconsider my former ideas on Windows Virtual Machine, and been dragged, by people knowing a lot more than I do, into the "dual/Multiple" Boot machine.

See info: https://www.howtogeek.com/187789/dual-booting-explained-how-you-can-have-multiple-operating-systems-on-your-computer/

Yet another alternative to the Virtual Machine approach is the "Dual Boot" approach.  This is rather simpler than the VM scheme, and does not require devoting a minimum amount of RAM to the VM, and the rest being devoted to the Host machine.  Nor does one need to own a "PRO"--or higher-- version of Windows to go Dual boot.  OTOH, it requires enough storage space to support both the desired OpSys and the games/programs which one intends to run on it.  My computer guy is trying hard to persuade me against using VM for the gaming application  which was my original intention.

As always, the fundamental goal is to transfer my Win 7 Pro OpSys--and virtually all my games-- away from the non-upgradable Small Form Factor Dell OptiPlex,  and onto a much more upgradeable, modern tower computer.   Eventually, I want to experiment with Virtual Reality, and none of the computers I now own will allow that.  Not made of money, but I live below my means, and have saved-up for a while.

Seems like the "Dual Boot" alternative might meet my needs, as I have plenty of 1 Tb and a 2 TB SSD lying around.  Will update as the situation allows; new computer shouls arrive shortly, so stay tuned.

RIBob

On 4/12/2019 at 4:50 AM, MarkEAW said:

OFF TOPIC, but the +7 means that seven people have reacted to your content. (like, thanks, haha, etc) which are available under the heart at the bottom of each post. There's no click bait here, we have no need for it. Your personal stats are yours nothing more.