kblomkvist

F-15X and my doubts

Hello all!

I've been searching for some  solid information about the F-15X which is planned to replace older versions of F-15 in USAF  and I encountered some press releases with contradictory information. My question may seem dumb but I'm going to ask it anyway: are they going to be one-seaters, two-seaters or a mix of both?

Edited by kblomkvist

I counted 22 max, I still don't know where the additional 2 would go. Maybe 4 instead of 2 under the centerline?

8 hours ago, Menrva said:

This recent article confirms two versions, F-15CX and F-15EX: http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/26305/f-15x-will-come-in-two-variants-and-no-it-wont-cost-100m-per-copy

So, is it true that the F-15X can carry 24 air-to-air missiles? And here I thought that Ace Combat videogames were arcade :haha:

Right now, Boeing.com has out there this:

F-15E Air-to-air:
Cannon
8 medium- and short-range missiles
Advanced F-15:
12 air-to-air missiles
24 air-to-ground munitions

Then there's this photo:

f15_gallery_lrg_02_960.jpg

Which makes it sixteen (16!) air-to-air missiles......

• Like 1

OK IIRC, since we started to talk of the F-15X, the proposed payloads started at 24 (in mid 2018) with :

- 8 missiles on the CFT rails, mounted on dual launchers

- 8 missiles on the inboard wing pylons on quad launchers

- 8 missiles on the outer wing pylons on quad launchers

But apparently Boeing then moved to 22 (in late 2018)

- 4 missiles on the center wing pylons on dual launchers (spot the wording... center ? wing pylon...)

- 2 missiles on newly qualified outer wing pylons on single launchers (limited to AIM-9)

But the latest (early 2019) we're back to "only" 20 missiles, the idea to open the outboard pylons being dropped

- 4 missiles on the outer wing pylons on dual launchers

Mostly, it feels like Boeing is making it up as they go along to test waters, I wouldn't be surprised if the final product is down to 16, dropping the dual CFT launchers.

Edited by Gunrunner
  • Like 3

The F-15X has the explicit purpose of acting like an AIM-120 magazine with an AWACS radar. If produced, you can be sure it will be able to carry as many missiles as safely possible and the radar will hopefully perform as well as hoped to allow F-22 and F-35 fighters to leave their radars off. 

• Like 1