Reading about the F-16 use of the GPU-5 gun pod during Desert Storm, I discovered the pod used in the Fighting Falcons were more a spread weapon, a bit of spray and pray, more or less as a gun based cluster bomb, and they changed soon to regular cluster bombs. Is possible to add dispersion to the gun pod somehow? Thanks.

No; bullet stream is from a "single" barrel, so there's no way to adjust aim angles

AFAIK it was spray and pray mainly because apart from serious vibration issues, the software modes were not actually in place to use and aim the gun properly. 

s'truth!

14 hours ago, Stratos said:

Reading about the F-16 use of the GPU-5 gun pod during Desert Storm, I discovered the pod used in the Fighting Falcons were more a spread weapon, a bit of spray and pray, more or less as a gun based cluster bomb, and they changed soon to regular cluster bombs. Is possible to add dispersion to the gun pod somehow? Thanks.

4 hours ago, Wrench said:

No; bullet stream is from a "single" barrel, so there's no way to adjust aim angles

Try adjusting the 'Accuracy= ' value of the actual gun

[GunData001]
TypeName=30MM_GAU13
FullName=30mm GAU-13/A Cannon
Caliber=30.000000
ROF=2400.000000
MuzzleVel=1030.000000
AmmoWt=0.360000
WarheadWt=0.036000
CartridgeWt=0.739000
Reliability=100.000000
Accuracy=50.000000   <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Try 25? or even lower and see what happens.
AddLight=TRUE
MaxLightRange=1200.000000
FireColor=0.500000,0.450000,0.320000
GunFireEffect=30mmFireEffect
GunFireSound=Vulcan
EffectClassName=30mmEffects
EffectTime=0.100000
TracerTexture=   <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< You should remove the tracer as USAF 30mm loads for the A-10 don't use tracer so I'm sure it was the same for the GPU-5
TracerSize=0.000000
TracerDistFactor=0.000000
TracerLength=0.000000
MaxVisibleDist=0.000000
MaxStreakVisibleDist=0.000000
//TracerTexture=Tracer.tga
//TracerSize=0.200000
//TracerDistFactor=0.002000
//TracerLength=0.018000
//MaxVisibleDist=4000.000000
//MaxStreakVisibleDist=1000.000000
TimeFuzed=FALSE

• Like 2

I read about the causes, simply want to try to replicate the consequences.

Thanks dtmdragon, will try and report back.

Not too much and improvement. Thanks for trying!

On 6/14/2019 at 3:57 AM, Stratos said:

Not too much and improvement. Thanks for trying!

I just flew a few tests in ODS with the GAU-13 gun accuracy down to 10% I would consider the results below an area weapon. Enlarge the screenshots and look at the spread of fire hitting the ground. Each one is a 1-1.5 second burst.

img00009.thumb.JPG.64766c0a7f823f01f310d3dc5bf5dcbd.JPG

img00010.thumb.JPG.5be81dd7eea47886dca601a857cf88d9.JPG

img00007.thumb.JPG.e08eda5a26850c854803e81661cd8ec0.JPG

img00008.thumb.JPG.eed4deac0a3f7ae7164b0a40968bccb8.JPG

My ODS F-16A Block 10 with improved textures, cockpit, avionics, loadouts, effects and updated data.ini (to viper team standards)

img00006.thumb.JPG.9c25ed7f88cfc7847cc1e6fcedda000d.JPG

img00005.thumb.JPG.edfb23b3ebe32b358d63db42fc28c85d.JPG

Edited by dtmdragon
  • Like 2

Yeah, just tried, it's worth the effort, thanks.

BTW Is possible to have separate GPU and 20mm entries? So I can shoot one without shooting the other?

Select the gun you want to shoot with the "Next/Previous Gun Group" command..?

• Like 1

that's always bugged the shit out of me .. if carrying a gun pod and have an internal gun (Chico the Gunfighter anyone?), there's no switch to seperate the two weapons. EVERYTHING fires at once. "Guns is guns" according to the game engine

The only work around is to change the gun fire command for your internal gun to "InputName=Fire_Secondary_Gun" in the data.ini and map the secondary gun fire button. Downside is the AI wingmen wont use/fire a secondary gun.

Edited by dtmdragon

and that blows too!!! :sad:

Thansk for trying it guys, at least I have a pretty decent A Viper for opening shots of DS.

Gun Group selection command is the solution ...

9 hours ago, Crusader said:

Gun Group selection command is the solution ...

Apologies as you are 100% right this changes between gun pod only, internal gun only or both together. It even worked on the F-8 to switch from firing all 4 cannons to just two at a time as they did in real life to conserve ammo. I see there is a GunGroup= entry that can be used with each internal gun, just give it a group number. How did I not know this!!! And of course it allows to to switch between cannons and/ or machine guns on WWII fighters... mind blown lol

So, is really possible? Never mixed with gungroup before.

29 minutes ago, Stratos said:

So, is really possible? Never mixed with gungroup before.

For a gunpod you do don't need change a thing just hit the 'next gun group' key and it will toggle between just the gunpod, just the internal gun or both together (default). Gungroup comes into it when you have 4 of the same internal gun as on the F-8 and want to toggle between being able to fire just two at a time.