Sign in to follow this  
Flapsfull

Question re Sparrow&Phoenix failure in SF2:NA

Hi everyone,

I'm encountering a strange issue in SF2:NA. I have a basic install, unmodded,only addon is the F-4S from the 3rd Wire store.

In both the F-4 and the F-14 I'm experiencing strange weapon failures with the Sparrow and Phoenix Missiles irregularly , but often enough to be annoying.

I have a target locked in STT , am in solid weapons range and  in a realistic position for a successful shot (no high aspect or extreme closure).

Upon pressing the trigger the weapon releases and now the issue. The missiles either fall straight down and explode , or they fly forward after release, but only

for a very short distance (nowhere near actual target) and explode.

I'm not getting what is going on. Are there random weapon failures modelled in the sim? But it seems to happen often ( like 1 or 2 out of 4 shots) .Maybe ok for a vietnam

era Sparrow , ok , but for the Aim-54?

Is there any additional parameter that needs to be monitored for successful weapon employement?

If anyone has idea or tips , that would be great.

Thank you in Advance,

Flapsfull

Yes there are random weapon failures........... TK did originally try to make things behave as they were historically especially the Nam era where there is a ton of info on combat firings....and reliability was a massive issue.

I can't tell whether what you are getting is due to that from what you have written.

Will say that even in 1991 AIM-7Ms were dropping off without firing on occasion...and the AIM-54A was an AIM-7E era missile and probably just as reliable although even happened to the last AIM-54C+ variant when two were fired in 1999 and they both dropped without firing (however cause might have been Human error but not sure).

There is a weapons editor for SF where you can tweak most of the things to how you want them......

10 hours ago, Flapsfull said:

I have a target locked in STT , am in solid weapons range and  in a realistic position for a successful shot (no high aspect or extreme closure).

High aspect and high closure speed is good for AIM-7/-54 shots. Some of the Russian planes have internal chaff dispensers. Another cause for failing missiles.

Mig Buster, Crusader,

thank you both for your quick replies. Seems it is either the simulated weapon (un-) reliability and/or  the chaff that might be causing this.I tend to the reliability issue , since

the issue mostly happens straight of the bat and I 'm not sure whether the effect of chaff would be noticable right after the missile leaves the rails, unless it somehow messes with its fuse

which I don't think likely.

I'll try again and work out if I can reduce this by changing various parameters of the weapons employment.

Thanks your help!

Kind regards,

Flapsfull

On 17.12.2019 at 8:18 PM, Flapsfull said:

I'll try again and work out if I can reduce this by changing various parameters of the weapons employment.

Flapsfull

But you could also leave the weapons as they are meant to be :wink:

parameters of the weapons employment

He wont change the weapons data, he will shoot with different airspeed/distance/aspect/altitude difference.

Thats how I read it.

I had two AIM-7E failing (exploding shortly after launch) today during a forward quarter (about 120L aspect) IL-28 intercept at ~5000 ft alt.

Tricky business, the early missiles :ninja:

15 hours ago, Crusader said:

He wont change the weapons data, he will shoot with different airspeed/distance/aspect/altitude difference.

Thats how I read it.

Thank you for the explication :good:

15 hours ago, Crusader said:

I had two AIM-7E failing (exploding shortly after launch) today during a forward quarter (about 120L aspect) IL-28 intercept at ~5000 ft alt.

Oh... those Il-28 can be pain to intercept...

Yes, I wasn‘t talking about fiddling with the weapons themselves , I meant trying other employment parameters.

As annoying as it is sometimes, its nice that Third wire tried to decently simulate the limitations and reliability issues of the avionics and technology of that cold war 50s-70s era, which is otherwise seldom represented in pc flight simulators, which seem to focus primarily on either modern air combat or warbirds.

Regards,

Flapsfull.