Sign in to follow this  
ndicki

Player-useable SAMs?

In CFS3, we managed to create player useable ground vehicles and AA guns. It was easier admittedly because CFS3 allows you to take control of aircraft gun turrets, so if the tracked part of the SPAAG is the "pilot's" position as driver with a modified FM file, the air gunner's position simply functions the same way as it always does. It provides a bit of fun from time to time - you can drive round, and you can engage aerial or ground targets.

So much for CFS3.

But what of SF2? Admittedly, turrets are out because SF2 does not support player-operated turrets, but what about SAMs? Is there a way to adapt of model a player-operated SAM launcher, even if it is static? Could the FM file allow the launcher to tilt upwards somehow, without its changing place? Thinking jets and brakes for example - if the brakes are applied and the engine thrust increased, the attitude will change... I'm sure there must be a way to do this with some creative thinking, but I don't know my way round well enough...

Merry Christmas, in the meantime!

• Like 1

I have done this years ago...but seriously not worth of effort. It will not work as sam...as there is no ground-air radar.you can lock target and fire missle using available avionics dll but just that.not much radar operation...

Edit:

if i have still those files will pop them here after new year..

Edited by yakarov79
  • Like 2

Apart from what Yakarov says, I guess that since all ground objects (SAMs included) are classified as ground infrastructure (SAM_RADAR, STATIC_SAM, STATIC_AAA, etc) they can not be player usable, that's how game's engine is made. It was developed to control aircrafts not  ground objects or ships. 

If we had the source code and a good programmer maybe...

Edit: Merry Christmas to everyone!

Edited by tiopilotos
  • Like 2

Can be made as nonflyable aircrafts...but it is crap. You control launcher not sam complex..it is really not worth of anything.

It is fly sim not battlefield sim.

11 hours ago, yakarov79 said:

Can be made as nonflyable aircrafts.. ..it is really not worth of anything.

Would those "non flyable" aircraft be engaged by AI chopper gunners?