Open Club  ·  5 members

Sign in to follow this  
VonBeerhofen

New 3D smoke file

Wasn't very happy with the dual purpose dual smoketrail I created long ago so I created a more substantial one with 3D effect which works better in all situations when active. OK, that's perhaps a little biassed observation but I hope you guys agree with me after seeing these pictures. Hope you guys can see which one and that the effects detail setting is working again in high mode, :)

BTW , have you noticed the EAWPRO club recently expanded by 25%! Not bad in such a short time for EAW standards eh?

VonBeerhofen

VBHTreatment2.jpg

VBHTreatment1.jpg

And here's the Super Smoke Trail

SuperTrail.jpg

Edited by VonBeerhofen

The ground strike smoke looks good!

The trailing smoke from a plane seems slightly odd, since its so big and dense at the end of the trail.  Well its dense for too long of a duration I think, maybe too far back from the plane.
But it still looks cool though, I can see where you have thinned it out after the dense trail, however.

Mark,

the thinned out bit at the end is actually what remains of the contrail. There are a few options to truely thin out the end but I haven't decided yet on which one is best. One option is to remove smoke from the last frames in the drawing animation and another is to extend the inner smoke trail so it trails the main smoke. That animation is already more open due to it's dual purpose to function as a trail or a smoke. Perhaps there's another possibillity to draw less smoke frames at the end which should also help and change transparency depth, a combination of all is probably best and I'll see what I can do to thin it out when I've got some spare time.

Getting it right is very timeconsuming though, I mean you can only see the effects of what you've done in battle but I'll keep trying!

VBH

I'm not sure if I was clear. The white smoke, the main trail at the end is kinda big. (not the dissipating trail at the very end).

Doesn't matter that much, its just what I noticed. No need to worry about it, really. But thanks for the consideration.

Yeah that's what I gathered. In fact the smoke isn't disipating at all, a calculation diminishes transparency the longer the trail gets, currently the highest transparency sits at the start. Perhaps it helps when tranparency increases towards the tail end of the trail. There's a lot of options really and prior to this version dozens of drawings were tested and like cloudlayers each one had it's own charme, sadly I can't put them all in at the same time, lol.

Experiments will continue but I realise that some may like the older versions better. Therefore EAWPRO allows each effect to be changed individually and all previous created versions can be used at will. It won't look the same in my other addons as I feel a different effect will only add to the atmosphere of the addon and the use of other smokesets gives people a large option to experiment themselves.

Even the transparency files are interchangeable, so the same drawing can be used with various transparency depths, however when used in combination hundreds of possibillities become available and it can become quite timeconsuming to find the best combination of files.

VonBeerhofen 

Edited by VonBeerhofen

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By VonBeerhofen
      The code was already there, it just had to be found and implemented. Took me a while though, :) Texture may still change.

VonBeerhofen
    • By VonBeerhofen
      A small example of the differences between the stock effects and the ones used in EAWPRO.
      This drawing shows the stock effects in the left picture and one of EAWPRO's effects in the right one. As you can see there are 9 different animations in the stock drawing, the bright colored squares are used for the tracers, one square for each calibre, and only 4 frames are available for fires. All other animations use 8 frames.

EAWPRO uses an entire texture for it's 16 frames per effect and besides the longer and hires animations another advantage is that the drawing's color palette is individual to each effect drawing and is therefore much more realistic, whereas the 8 stock effects have to share those colors in a single texture. EAWPRO also uses 8 calibre colors with the option to use 16, as apposed to just 4, I just can't think of any weapons to use the remaining 8 colors.

Furthermore EAWPRO uses 16+ of such Hires effects drawings but each effect can also borrow frames from the other effects drawings, which with certain animations allows a selection out of 16 x 16 = 256 frames. I hope you understand that this approach allows all effects to be swapped freely with another by simply renaming the texture file or .SPT filename. The same goes for their TRA (transparency) counterparts.

I hope this explains why swapping Sprite Tables or changing them isn't as usefull as one thinks, after all each animation is linked to some action in the game and the routines for these had to be completely rewritten in order to make this work and it's not just a swap in the Sprite Table, that won't work at all since the used animations are defined in their own specific routines which control their actions.

VonBeerhofen
    • By VonBeerhofen
      I made a few minor changes  to EAWPRO's contrails which will benefit framerates, especially when large numbers of planes are battling it out. A Glide issue with the trails was also fixed and will be available with the next release of EAWPRO. A temporary fix has been uploaded to my FTP which restores full functionality but doesn't yet use the new improved version. Just overwrite your EAW.EXE  in your EAWPRO gamefolder with this version:
      https://rabartel.home.xs4all.nl/EAWPRO_FIX.zip
      Mark if possible you can do the same thing with the download version at Mediafire, it would save me from having to construct a new .ZIP.
      These are how it will look with the next release:
      VonBeerhofen

• By VonBeerhofen
      Many more dangerous situations were incorporated into EAWPRO. One is the possibillity of AAA and flack capabillity on ANY groundobject, target or none target, static or moving. When a target location has a single AAA or Flack position, the maximum number of flack and AAA will be divided between all the objects which were given attack/defense capabillity. When one of the positions gets destroyed another one will take it's place untill there are no more objects available which were asigned this capabillity. In other words, the destroyed position simply moves to a new location and becomes active again.
      A new routine also gives the watersplash destructive capabillity when planes are directly over it and within 100 feet. Because of this effect belly landing on water has become much more dangerous as the splash is generated multiple times each time the plane hits the water.
      Exploding ground objects were given a simmilar but slightly different capabillity and even exploding planes can destroy your plane when you're within it's explosion radius, so it's prudent to stay at a respectfull distance when shooting up stuff. The explosion radius is linked to the exploding object's size, the larger the object the larger the blast radius. Planes in tight formation may actually cause a chain reaction with other planes and cause damage to an entire group. They will not immediately explode but damage points are given as with bullet impacts.
      Here's two pictures which show what happened to a low flying bomber which just came too close to an explosion, notice that there are no fighters around or any tracers visible, the explosion happened as the lead plane crashed into the ground. 
      VonBeerhofen

• By VonBeerhofen
      With the reorganisation of the sprite table I was able to introduce 4 new animations when bullet hits objects. The animation takes calibre and object armour into acount for the animation selection.
      These animations may also be randomly used elswhere, for instance in explosions or as debris flying off planes or objects. Other animations have also been activated to mix randomly with the selections.
      VonBeerhofen

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..