Open Club  ·  12 members

Sign in to follow this  
VonBeerhofen

EAWPRO cockpit gunflash activated

The code was already there, it just had to be found and implemented. Took me a while though, :) Texture may still change.

GunFlash.jpg

VonBeerhofen

• Like 1

Sorry to not have given thanks on this site.  I believe I responded via IM on another site, though.

Thanks for your work!

RIBob, what do you think of the defaulted Cockpit Muzzle Flash shown in VBH screenshot in the previous post?
I believe its a 3DZ model, rather than a flat sprite(?)

It gives a nice atmosphere to the cockpit. Best when a friend watches you play the game and they watch the muzzle flashes in amazement as they point and go , "cool". lol.

mMark, I am still transitioning from my win 7 comp to win 10 comp with Virtual machine to play win 7 machine within a partition of HD.  Being an idiot, and entirely un-coached in the process, I still have some things to do.  It's actually not that hard, once one knows what to do.  What takes me a week (part time) would take an experienced person an hour.  Hopefully this week I will be back to flying --IOW-- have the VM rig up and running, and I can give a decent response.

Sometimes, real life intrudes. For example, G/Fs horn on her is not working.  Took some time to get it fixed,  after we both got home from work, but there goes my computer time.

Got the damn horn working, though.--her safety is paramount.  Next thing is the comp.  First things first.

Looking at what I see pictured above, I think that's probably OK for daylight with a .50 cal MG.   I am definitely not disposed to the flash underneath, and to rear of the muzzle .  That artifact should clearly be removed, as it has no place in reality.  The rest of it is OK.  Having seen M2 Cal .50 MGs fired in daytime it looks all right.  If what is depicted above is a depiction of a different firearm, then the depiction might be wrong.  For example, a US .30 Cal or a Brit .303  MG, or a German 7.92 MG would be similar, and of relatively smaller "flame" effect, compared to what is depicted above, at least in daytime.  If that's a depiction of something like a US .50 Cal MG, then probably OK.  A German of Brit Cannon would exhibit probably 100% more muzzle flash, at a simple guess.

All this is a simple guess, based on memory, and some personal observation of M2 .50 Cal Mgs, as well as .30 Cal MGs in daytime.  At night, both of them are FAR more brilliant in muzzle flash than during daytime.  There is really no comparison.

Note that Night fighter pilots were sometimes blinded by MG/Cannon muzzle flash, and had to rely (if available) on radar operators.  If no such available, then it is waiting for night vison to return, in early war. Hence their scant kill rate.  Aircraft radar made a huge kill difference, because pilot vision/navigation could be controlled by radar operator, given an effective team during later war.

Note also that Bomber gunners were also blinded by their own muzzle flashes, but at least at the start, they had the opposing night fighter's muzzle slashes to aim at.

It's a complex subject, with aircraft, pilot experience, and technology all playing counteracting parts.

Hope this helps,

RIBob

Edited by RIBob

I don't want to derail this thread, but you should remind your self once in awhile that EAW is an arcade-ish type of a game. Meaning it presents stuff sometimes in a cartoon-ist way, but sorta believable.

Like the muzzle flashing, is probably 'bigger than life',  cartoon-ish, but well enough to be enjoyable and playable.
Areas like that you can't be too serious about the game.
If this makes any sense.

Edited by MarkEAW
spelling

Makes plenty of sense to me Mark after all It's just a game and it a nice touch to the old Girl

On 4/11/2019 at 8:02 PM, MarkEAW said:

I don't want to derail this thread, but you should remind your self once in awhile that EAW is an arcade-ish type of a game. Meaning it presents stuff sometimes in a cartoon-ist way, but sorta believable.

Like the muzzle flashing, is probably 'bigger than life',  cartoon-ish, but well enough to be enjoyable and playable.
Areas like that you can't be too serious about the game.
If this makes any sense.

No problem, Mark.  I admit I am a fan of realistic portrayals of visual images, but anything I say is my suggestion, and never a "Demand".  I'm in no position to make any "demands" whatsoever.  My suggestions are stated for "informational" purposes, and to be incorporated, or ignored as the Modders see fit.

it's true that EAW is a little "Arcade" but is making it even more so a good idea?  If possible, should we be making the visual depictions less "Arcade" and more realistic?  Which depiction has more benefit for the EAW game overall?

I also understand that adherence to "true-to-life" visual effects may not be what is desired/expected by most users.  Then again, what "most" users want is very different from what the experienced, educated players want.   I've played enough flight sims to know that some go a little bit overboard in the display of some of their visual effects.  OTOH, the best, modern flight sims seem to rely on the innate quality of the images displayed.   

Well-meaning people can disagree about the level of visual images displayed in a flight sim.  I prefer more realistic images, some will differ.  It's all OK, and like I said, well-meaning people can differ, without being difficult.

Guys, gun flashes from nose guns are OK, probably add to the realism factor a bit but don't spend too much time admiring those wing gun flashes or your going to get shot in the a**!:biggrin:

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By MarkEAW
      Okay here's the first release of it.
      I forgot to mention in the readme that its hooked for direct input and has a virtual joystick.
      That will allow you to configure the game flight controls to keyboard and cam to mouse.
      (I don't think the virtual Joystick if selected in game will work) Its best to stay with keyboard until you get a physical joystick.

EAWPRO DXWnd Profile
      https://www.mediafire.com/file/sia0o8hby2r44tm/EAWPRO10_(Basic)-DXWnd.zip/file

For this Wrapper Program
      http://sourceforge.net/projects/dxwnd/

• By PJB
      requesting any effects mods expert to please make some realistic effects of aircraft explosion fire flares countermeassure and flames effects for strike fighters 2 that can be compared to dcs world or war thunder !! i have each and every effects mods never found a good taste 

• By VonBeerhofen
      That's what you get when wearing headphones and you don't hear the incoming bullets from an enemy behind you  hitting your plane. Or maybe our hearing is getting impaired after so many years of flying this game, :D   VBH
    • By VonBeerhofen
      occasionally you can get these interesting smoke effects in EAWPRO generated by the new randomly asigned and expanded effects routines, giving many a much wider use. Besides that there are more smoketypes available which have new uses. Each animation is sixteen 64 pixel drawings in 8 bit using an entire 256 x 256 pixel PCX. Here a few expanding black smoke clouds were generated after two planes collided and you can still see a firey wing dropping down.

VonBeerhofen
    • By VonBeerhofen
      This night screen shows EAWPRO's bullet impact animation routine in action. Impacts can select a short animation within any of the available smoke and fire animations starting from any frame in that animation. I don't know offhand how many available drawings that is but roughly well over 200! This mimics bullets hitting various types of ground or objects and can for instance even use the watersplash animation when hitting a fuel cannister or something simmilar, as can be seen on the left of the screen where also a fire has started after the impact.

BTW, notice that not all drawings are illuminated at night.
      VonBeerhofen

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..