Sign in to follow this  
Skyviper

The C-5 Galaxy

1280px-Lockheed_C-5_Galaxy_loading_135.j

The C-5 Galaxy

Show of hands; whose seen this massive aircraft up close and personal? I remember being at an airshow and they let you get your picture taken in the cockpit of this massive thing. The fact that it can even fly is impressive to me. She may not be sleek and fast like a fighter jet but this aircraft and other cargo planes certainly help keep things on move. The C-5 Galaxy's is tasked with Strategic Airlift meaning that it's supposed to take needed items from anywhere in the world into a theater or operations  ... in other words its job is to bring supplies and equipment to the war zone. The amount of effort that went into producing this gigantic aircraft was equally impressive  and employed a lot of companies all over the united states. Some of the companies were even small companies that were able to contribute to the project. Tools, maintenance, and other support equipment had to be custom made as well by various sub contractors. It was a large scale operation that unfortunately came with some massive drama ... straight up scandalous drama that we'll briefly talk about in this Quick Aircraft Facts presentation.

While we strive to do a good job compressing information about an aircraft's history into 3 minutes or less. There are times I'd like to dive more into an aircraft's history; however, there are some documentries out there I think some of you may enjoy if you have the time. I'd like to point you to a Vintage C-5 Documentary released by the USAF. (In case the link doesn't take you to the right time you might want to skip ahead by a minute or so.)

Oh heads up, a new QAF will be released on Tuesdays. Thank you so much or your support, patience, and time.

• Like 6

I walked through one at an airshow back in 1988 when I was six years old.

• Like 1

I remember going inside one C-5 loaded with trucks during a visit to Rota's Air Base in Spain a few years ago, we were surprised because they let us get inside! It was impressive indeed, despite the heat of being inside a giant metal tube in the middle of a runway during a hot summer day hahaha

I also remember poking my head thrugh the maintenance hatch at the top of the fuselage to have a better look of the gigantic tail. Later I ate in an american style pizza-restaurant inside the base after seeing the Harriers and the spanish navy helicopters. It was a great day! :pilotfly:

Great video by the way! :ok:

Edited by nuni
  • Like 1

seen em at airshows, and watched one take off in a hurry one fine day in Iraq. found out later the tower told them to abort take off due to the ongoing mortar attack, and the pilot decided he wasnt sitting in the biggest target on the runway!!

too bad the old dying whale imitaing a vacuum cleaner noise is gone with the new engines

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, daddyairplanes said:

seen em at airshows, and watched one take off in a hurry one fine day in Iraq. found out later the tower told them to abort take off due to the ongoing mortar attack, and the pilot decided he wasnt sitting in the biggest target on the runway!!

too bad the old dying whale imitaing a vacuum cleaner noise is gone with the new engines

I remember you telling us that story! I couldn't remember who it is was on this site that said it before but I remember you saying the pilot replied "F*k you! We're out of here!" I often wonder what happened to the pilot. I mean to me it makes sense the big fella needs to move. But I had nooooooo idea how so political and bureaucratic the military really is. You think doing the obvious would be acceptable but I'm betting there's some officer somewhere going "That pilot ignored protocols. We can't have that going on in this modern military service."

Never served by the way I'm just saying, until recently, I never knew how bureaucratic the military can be at times. 

• Like 1

well the US military is the oldest beaucracy in America. and the Air Force, being the youngest branch until last year, always seemed to double down to prove itself to the others:lol:

i knew i've told it a few times before online, just forgot it was here (thought maybe Quora or FB).

all the same, FRED is one BIG sucker, and makes even IL-76s and C-17s look small let alone helos and fighters

A C-5 can be walked in at the Salinas, California airshow, and within 50 miles near Mountain View can be seen an IL-76 parked at Moffet Field.  An IL-76, heralded by musical folk troupe in traditional garb on the tarmac, features with the SU-27 as part of the Ukrainian contingent at RIAT should you be in the UK.  

Edited by cood
More to add
  • Like 1

Saw one at the International Air Tattoo at RAF Fairford in 1987, along with the Lightning F6, B-52, Vulcan, and Battle of Britain flight, to name but a few.

I've seen them up close, I think I've even flow on them a couple of times. We used to called them "F.R.E.D"...Freaking Ridicules Economic Disasters. No offense to the drivers, I know you love them, but thats what we called them. Having said that, I have to admit...it's an amazing piece of engineering. Someone once told me it's like a "bumblebee" - not supposed to able to fly, but it does...So everytime I saw one take off (from the inside or out), I would recite the little engine's voice in my head.. "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can."...."I thought I could, I thought I could." Woohoo, time to take a nap...

=V=