rlwicker1967

Is a Windows 10 version really needed?

I just bought Strike Fighters 2 Europe last week. I'm shocked how much better it looks and runs versus my old WOV 1 Series. The only issues so far are the dark cockpit and not having a working radar for a set of Tomcats I downloaded. The aircraft textures look really creamy and kind of reminds me of 3DFX Voodoo graphics. For me at least, it looks like those CGI cartoons. I'm seeing an average framerate in the mid-40s with a 1GB Radeon card and an i5 processor. I'm looking forward to getting the complete package. If anyone knows, what would we gain by having a Windows 10 version?

dx 12 support

other than that, ????? check the thread above in the SF Series News Forum

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Wrench said:

dx 12 support

other than that, ????? check the thread above in the SF Series News Forum

You benefit of Direct X 12 API only if  the game is written (programmed) for this API, meaning that it will have Direct X 12 effects (plus compatibility with older Direct X versions effects). Through this API OS can access the graphic hardware in order to render those kind of effects on one's monitor. In other words, the SF2 series , which work very well on Win 10, even if it was not writtent specifically for this OS, won't look better in Win 10, because it's effects are old (Direct X 10 only, which was for Vista). Even Win 7 uses Direct X 11, but is compatible with older effects 'till Direct X 9c. Direct X 11 hardware brought for real, with proper programming of a game/software, an update in matter of graphics. (shaders, tesselation effects, specialized antialising, HDR etc). However very few people know that Direct X 12 brings just two or three new effects only which, without a trained eye, you won't even notice them, the rest of the cream comes from Direct X 11 API.

Edited by UllyB
  • Like 1

I'd hope for maybe a re-implementation of multiplayer, or new features, to go with a general refresh of the engine that allows modern stuff like TrackIR and maybe even VR out of the box.

Even just being able to alt-tab out of a mission would be cool.

Edited by Historian
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Historian said:

I'd hope for maybe a re-implementation of multiplayer, or new features, to go with a general refresh of the engine that allows modern stuff like TrackIR and maybe even VR out of the box.

Even just being able to alt-tab out of a mission would be cool.

I can Alt-Tab in pause, go into Windows then, come back with no graphics corruption like in the first series. I also like how the sound goes away in pause.

On 2020-07-08 at 11:55 AM, UllyB said:

... In other words, the SF2 series , which work very well on Win 10, even if it was not writtent specifically for this OS, won't look better in Win 10, because it's effects are old (Direct X 10 only, which was for Vista). Even Win 7 uses Direct X 11, but is compatible with older effects 'till Direct X 9c. Direct X 11 hardware brought for real, with proper programming of a game/software, an update in matter of graphics. (shaders, tesselation effects, specialized antialising, HDR etc)...

I'm going to have to disagree with you, if only because I have real experience this isn't entirely the case via my installation of Flight Simulator X and a 3rd party enhancement product called the DX10 Scenery Fixer + its Cloud Shadows addon. The in-cockpit shadows, lighting effects and cloud shadows it enables at times are nothing short of breath taking. DX10 was just debuting when FSX released, but the visual improvements this DX10 fixer offers over the original product is radical and far more effective than what Strike Fighters 2 does with DX10. There's no argument that DX11 brought much more to the table, but FSX w/DX10 Scenery Fixer has convinced me that much more could be done with SF2 using that graphics API alone. 

On 7/13/2020 at 8:08 PM, Arrow said:

I'm going to have to disagree with you, if only because I have real experience this isn't entirely the case via my installation of Flight Simulator X and a 3rd party enhancement product called the DX10 Scenery Fixer + its Cloud Shadows addon. The in-cockpit shadows, lighting effects and cloud shadows it enables at times are nothing short of breath taking. DX10 was just debuting when FSX released, but the visual improvements this DX10 fixer offers over the original product is radical and far more effective than what Strike Fighters 2 does with DX10. There's no argument that DX11 brought much more to the table, but FSX w/DX10 Scenery Fixer has convinced me that much more could be done with SF2 using that graphics API alone. 

I am not aware of the fixer for Direct X 10 you are talking about. I will take a look. So , with this fixer written for FSX you mean that SF2 would look better or I missunderstood ?

Edited by UllyB

On 2020-07-19 at 10:12 AM, UllyB said:

I am not aware of the fixer for Direct X 10 you are talking about. I will take a look. So , with this fixer written for FSX you mean that SF2 would look better or I missunderstood ?

Sorry for taking some time to get back. Yes, based on on the visual improvements the DX10 fixer does for FSX, doing something similar with SF2's DX10 implementation would be a significant improvement over the current state. Note; I'm talking about the payware version 5.3 of Steve's DX10 Fixer, not the freebie 3.2.3 that you can be downloaded from the avsim.com library. The new fixer with the optional cloud shadows addon is a big improvement over the 3.x gen. 

Edited by Arrow
  • Thanks 1