rwatson

Sf2 Vietnam Air/Ground expansion

I've tried installing the Air/Ground war Gold Expansion to a stand alone SF2 Vietnam install..Downloaded all 4 parts  and set it up following the read me instructions ,,but go in game and it doesn't seem to be there ,,Only the stock 3 campaigns show up and only the Vietnam,SEA terrain is there,,I've installed mods before so I understand how the mod folder operates in fact installed the Korean Air War Mod yesterday no worries..I even tried installing it to a merged install and same thing..Any help or advice is appreciated

1.  Did you create a Separate StrikeFighters2 Vietnam.exe and StrikeFighters2 Vietnam.ini files in your merged games folder?

1.  Did you run your stand alone SF2 Vietnam, load a mission and sit in the cockpit for a few seconds once before you installed the Air/Ground Expansion pack?

2.  Install only to the mod folders in C:/Users/'YourName"/Saved Games/ThirdWire/'WhatEverYouCallYourA/GExpansion.'

If you did all these steps, I can't figure why it isn't working.

Geary

Thanks for the reply..It's a stand alone Vietnam install and it made it's own mod folder in the proper place..To be truthful I'm not sure if I ran it first before aplying the mod,,No worries I'll just uninstall it and give it another go..I did have it running well a couple years ago and I think that was after I flew it a bit..

Tried it exactly..Somethings amiss here ..I installed the Korean Air War mod and it's working great

My install is to C:/Users/'YourName"/Saved Games/ThirdWire/'Strike Fighters 2 Vietnam...

I'll just try installing it clean and add a few mods..Really Vietnam is the only thing I want to fly..But I've tried a merged install and all the fixes in the KB but still get a full load from all modules when flying it..

Thanks for the advice...Can all the modules be installed as stand alone ??

are you wanting this to be a SEPERATE VN mod folder??? Or are you applying this directly OVER the pre-existing SF2V mods folder??

IIRC, it needs it's own stand along mods folder, named uniquely different from the stock or garden variety one. Which also means a uniquely named exe.

Try this: 

When doing the copy/paste of the SF2V.exe -- DON'T FORGET TO RENAME IT SOMETHING DIFFERENT FROM THE STOCK ONE!!!!!! (try: SF2V-AGExpn fer example)

Then, run it to create the mods folder. Go in and test fly a mission. Exit out. 

then and only then, install the AG expansion mod to only this specific folder.

Let us know how that works

• Like 1

Wrench

This is to a standalone VN folder ..I took my merged install out..Tried two approaches to the install

1.Installed SF2V clean and ran it

2. Copied the exe and ini and renamed it to SF2V-AGExpn

3.Ran it afd it created a SF2V-AGExpn  folder in the proper place

4 Copied the files from the to mod folder into that

5 ran the SF2V-AGExpn.exe and flew but checked things out and the extra campaigns didn't show up..But the terrain was improved and then added Stary's Green Hell terrain and I believe it's working

Also tried all of the above but didn't run the original exe and just cut pasted and renamed the exe and ini to SF2V-AGExpn same thing the campaigns don't show up and there is a Vietnam SEA and a South Vietnam terrain in the mod folder but only the VietnamSEA one shows in single missions..Even tried copying those terrains to the main folder where the cat file is but they don't show up..

I guess it's unfix-able so I'll fly what I have and try setting up and trying mods in SFP1 Vietnam..I'm a Vietnam vet and that's the one I want to fly...I'll only put in a merged install for SF2 to set up KAW.

Thank you for your help..

• Like 1

Even tried copying those terrains to the main folder where the cat file is but they don't show up..

that'll never work!!! It only sees things, as you've found out, in the mods folder.

There has to be a step missed here someplace...I just don't know what it is!

Went through the ini files and this is in the one in the saved games folder

[Mods]
ModsEnabled=TRUE
Directory=C:\Users\russ\Saved Games\ThirdWire\SF2V-AGExpn
Editors=StrikeFighters2

So it's pointing to the correct directory,,In the meantime I've installed WOV and got it modded up pretty well..But still working on SF2V

Looks like you've done most of the right things in setting up the install to be modded.

Maybe try opening the A/G Expansion folders and move the contents into the mod folders one folder at a time.

For instance:  Copy the A/G Ex aircraft files into the mod aircraft folder.  Then run the game and see if they show up.

• Like 1

Finally got it running !! Seems there was a loose nut on the keyboard,,I had two unzipped sets of the expansion and checked the size one was1.14 GB,,The second was 4.09 GB and I went to the archives and got the original download and unzipped it and it weighed in at 4.10 GB did another install and copied the _to Mods Folder  over and all the campaigns show up and a couple of quick fly's I can see the improved terrain is working..

Thanks for the advice gentlemen

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

See, I KNEW it had to be something simple!!!

glad you got it working!!

• Like 1

Spot on Wrench I've found over the years if others are using it and no posts it has to be right and the problem is on my end,,Now I have a merged install with KAW and a stand alone Vietnam install and it flies great ..I took your lead and renamed the exe and ini to SF2V-AGExpn

• Like 1

I know how much this means to you, so I am so glad you got it working. I felt terrible I was unable to help, but unsurprised that you succeeded.