F-5GN(Soviets)

F-5GN(Soviets)  (What if)
This mod is made for SF2.

----------------------------------------------------------
I. History (fiction)

In 1969 there were decisive elections in West Germany. In reality, the Social Democrats won.
A new foreign policy followed and a period of reduction of tensions between East and West.
WHAT IF, the other side had won?
What if the conservatives had won and Franz Joseph Strauß (an old bavarian Commie eater) would have become Chancellor of the Federal Republic of Germany?
And so it starts.
In 1969 Strauß was elected as Chancellor. A period of rising tensions between East and West
 started. To protect the sea lanes between Europe and America the west german parliament Bundestag decided to build up a west german carrier force consiting of 3 carriers.
The american gouvernment was pleased and offered to sell 3 carriers of the Essex class (subclass Ticonderoga).
The first ship which was handed over was CV-34 Oriskany in 1969. Renamed in R-22 Theodor Heuss it was core of the first west german carrier group. 1973 CV-38 Shangri-La became R-23 Heinrich Lübke (later renamed in Walter Scheel) and two years later CV-45 Valley Forge became R-24 Gustav Heinemann.
The americans offered A-4 Skyhawk and F-8 Crusader as planes for the carrier group. The Bundesmarine accepted the A-4, but rejected the Crusader, because the Bundesmarine wanted a more multi role capable plane, not only a pure fighter.
At this moment Northrop entered the competition and offered a navalised version of the brand new F-5E Tiger. Under the designation F-5GN (German Navy) it should be produced in America and Germany. The west german government accepted the offer and the serial production of the F-5GN started. During flight tests on the way the US Marines decided, that it would be a good idea to replace their old F-8 Crusaders with F-5GN planes. So the F-5GN became a Marine plane.
Later, when the Marines retired their attack carriers the surviving F-5GN were transfered to Top Gun school.
1973 the government of South Vietnam demanded more F-5E Tigers to fight the communist forces. Because there was a shortage of F-5E the american leaders decided to send the first batch, which was intended for the Marines, to the Republic of Vietnam. So 40 F-5GN were handed over.
On May 1st 1975 Saigon was taken by the communist forces. the war was over. 36 surviving F-5GN were captured by the north vietnamese. To pay war depts  Vietnam handed all 36 F-5GN and 12 F-5E to the soviets.
In the USSR the planes were tested very hard. Finaly the decision was made to use the F-5GN in the Soviet Navy. The canceled carrier project Oriol was revitalized and in 1976 the first soviet carrier squadron was formed. The soviets modified only the RWR and the air to air missiles. Air to ground weapons were taken from captured stores in Vietnam.
The US Navy realized very soon that the soviets had a new plane. Analysts believed, that the soviets copied the F-5GN and gave her the designation MiG-28.
The F-5GN alias MiG-28 had only a short service time in the Soviet Navy.
1982 the F-5GN was withdrawn from service. The reason was missing spare parts.
Afterwards the planes were sold to Iran.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

II.

CREDITS:

The F-5GN(Marines) based on Centurions 2014 released F-5E package.
A lot of files i have taken from this package. Thanks for this files!

The skin:
~~~~~~~~~~~

The camo skins are mods of skins available in Centurions Package
The blue skin is a modification of a grey skin available in Centurions package.

The flight model :
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The  FM i made by using parts of the stock F-16A FM made by TK.

III.

INSTALLATION:

-Unzip the folders into your SF2 mod folder

IV.

For remarks, comments, bugs, etc please use the forum or send me a PM.
-------------------------------------------------------------

V.

The F-5GN(Soviet) and all other files are FREEWARE. COMMERCIAL USE IS NOT ALLOWED!

------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------

Hope you enjoy it.

Michael (Gepard)

Made in Germany
December 2020

• Submitter
  • Submitted
    12/26/2020
  • Category
    F-5

• Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By climb22
      OK for those unfamiliar with the New Order, It's a Mod for the grand strategy game Hearts of Iron 4 set in a universe where Nazi Germany won World War 2. The Soviet remnants managed to retreat fairly intact and wage an effective resistance culminating in the West Russian War in the 1950s which saw Nazi German government almost collapse due to an Economic Crisis and the rebellion of SS units under Heinrich Himmler (exiled to create his own  giant SS concentration camp/state in Burgundy). Only the splintering of the Soviet remnants prevented their victory and saw Russia balkanize into warlord states (some with their own air forces). England is a vassal state in this Universe under Edward VIII and in a tense standoff with an independent Scotland and Wales. Ireland is within the German Sphere, while Italy, no longer a German ally after Mussolini's death, largely controls Mediterranean and is heading towards a confrontation with a United Iberia and Turkey for total supremacy in the Mediterranean. the Empire of Japan has managed to escape Germany style stagnation and become an industrial power rivaling the United States (thanks to its corporate tech innovation and brutal control of China and Maritime Southeast Asia) and is increasingly trespassing in German affairs in colonial Africa, and U.S affairs in Latin America.

The 1950s west Russian War campaign would be fairly easy to create, with just Me-262s, Arado Jet bombers for the Luftwaffe and some P-80s (lend-lease) and Mig-9 Fargo for the Red Air Force, perhaps a squadron of some MiG-15s (due to Soviet defeat and German economic crisis, European aviation industry severely lagged behind and in the start of the game only few Russian warlord states have aircraft inventory while Nazi Germany still largely operates somewhat modernized versions of Schwalbe and Hortens.)

The start of the 1960s Cold War would be the most interesting part due to the German Civil War, Great Afrikan War (West, Japan and Germany's proxy conflict strongly mirroring the Vietnam War) and the Oil War of 1970 but would be far harder to emulate as that's where newer fighter models of the Luftwaffe begins to enter service (not available in the downloads section lol!) but I guess there could be some stand-ins (Mirage F1s and Super Etendards since the Vichy French regime aren't allowed an Air-Force and their military uses German gear so it's not Far fetched French Aviation engineers would be closely tied with the Luftwaffe.) 

There are a lot of potential to utilize the extensive array of fictional and What-If aircraft in the download section, and I'm curious what are your thoughts on this? 

(photo credit Metallist-99 on deviant art)

• By LaoHu
      I downloaded this mod for the F-5 and all of the skins for the aircraft are black, which means the textures aren't loading but I can't find out why it isn't loading. There is no exact installation instructions other than extract it into the mod folder which I did and there doesn't look like there are any issues with the file placement compared to the other aircraft files. Can anyone help me out?

P.S. the drop tanks have the textures working and the cockpit, loading screen, menu, etc all work. Everything but the skin. 

• By CheckSixCharlie
      Hello! My name is Elchfisk and I am new to the COMBATACE forums in general, but I wanted to showcase something I designed and am in the process of working on.

The Vought F-119 Vanguard, influenced by designs within the TFX (Tactical Fighter eXperimental) Program, which led to the development of the F-111, was considered to be a tri-service answer to the project. A high power, variable sweep fighter aircraft that would essentially replace the mud moving roles of the Aardvark, and the standoff interception capability of the Tomcat.

I'm new to Strike Fighters 2 modding as a whole, and I would love for this to be the first project I undertake in that scene. Is there any documentation or anyone that could teach and assist me in how to mod in an entirely custom aircraft like this? I'll keep this thread full of work-in-progress photos in the meantime, but if any experienced modders could reach out to me, I'd really appreciate it.

Before I go for now, here's another image of one of the several models, specifically the J79 equipped variant, showcasing the very unique wing setup, and variable sweep:

• By Dornil

View File MiG-17K Soviet Silver
      A bare metal skin for Cocas' what-if MiG-17K.

Submitter Dornil Submitted 11/12/2021 Category What If Skins  
    • By Dornil
      A bare metal skin for Cocas' what-if MiG-17K.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..