Ok, there is final version F-18A from me.

https://cloud.mail.ru/public/okf4/MtfEA7Xf6

Few final tweaks, new loading screens, new loadout.ini, etc.. 

I think I did everything I wanted at the moment. 

I think I'm done with this mod at the moment, unless, of course, in the future ThirdWire will not give us avionics80.dll

Edited by SandMartin

I guess he didn't have an actual Hornet pilot recommend the HUD symbology like we did. Oh well. If another game is a reference then... 

• Haha 2

On 02.02.2021 at 2:43 AM, CrazyhorseB34 said:

I guess he didn't have an actual Hornet pilot recommend the HUD symbology like we did. Oh well. If another game is a reference then... 

If everything is correct for you, answer the 2 question please - which symbol on the HUD should be lit if the AIM-9P-5 weighs on the pylon?
The second question is under what conditions does the "SHOOT" sign on the HUD light up?

And then compare your answers with how you did it.

And one more question - why on pylons 7 and 3 do you allow hanging Walleye in your mod?

Why is your version of the aircraft capable of accelerating to Mach 1.75+ with full loadout?

Edited by SandMartin

1. You should never have AIM-9P-5. That being said 9M is correct. 

2. The SHOOT will not show up independent of the  Target Lock icon. 

3. Walleye not in Load Out for those pylons. But other weapons of that type are.

4. I do not know. Had nothing too do with flight model tweeks. 

1. SHOOT should only light up when the target is within the range of the weapon and not just in the Lock on. For example, when a cannon is selected, this message will never light up at a distance of 20 miles. It is always displayed in your mod near TD Box, which is incorrect.

2. If you say that we cannot carry AIM-9P, then why are they available in the  weapon load page ? And by the way, if you look at the display of missiles on the HUD in your F/A-18D, you will see that there they are also indicated as AIM9 and AIM7 like in my version of your mod.

3. In your mod, the Walleye can be carry on inner pylons, becouse EOGB value is not removed from these pylons on the fa18-data.ini in your version of mod.

Edited by SandMartin

1.  Because of limitations of the Avionics. ini, The SHOOT will not show up. It was a compromise.  Based on the limits of the Avionics.ini. and realism. If you can figure out a way within the game engine to produce an " In range" icon on top of an " Lock icon?"  Then do it! but that is outside of the parameters of the 70Avionics.ini.

2. The reason why is weapon types and dates. F/A-18-A. Only uses AIM-9L, M, and X. But. That weapon you referenced is listed as NATO. As is the L,M,X. So if you deviate from the standard load out. You can load it. A complete fantasy too do so. So, The proper symbology on the HUD should be... " 9L, 9M,9X." Because Hornets only carry that. You can't deliniate between sub types.  So. 9M is the most accurate. 

3. EOGB Mavericks can. Same type of guidance. Reason why if you choose to stray from the loadouts. You can almost load anything you want. 

Basic SF Modding 101! 

You are doing good! All this stuff you are complaining about... 12 years ago we figured out! 

I am glad you got an interest in this game! Please help us make it better.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, CrazyhorseB34 said:

I am glad you got an interest in this game! Please help us make it better.

Im trying )

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CrazyhorseB34 said:

You are learning! Any help you need. Let me know!

I managed to limit my hornet to AIM-9L/M and 7F/M Missles.

https://cloud.mail.ru/public/iJd7/Afjt3YtEb

Also I have limited AIM-7 and AIM-9 on pylons 3 and 7 according to this picture.  

Early Hornets were cut in the total number of air-to-air missiles. Wallee was removed from them earlier

I also adjusted the maximum speed at altitude. Now it does not fly at Mach 1.7+ at 40,000 feet fully loaded.

And it consumes so much fuel to be somewhere between Thirdwire's F-16A and F-15A.
Your hornet practically does not eat it. (2.5 times less than F16A Netz)

6muFsbZ.jpg

Edited by SandMartin

6 hours ago, CrazyhorseB34 said:

That  was fixed 6 years back. Look up. " Hornet, floating direction carat." 

Finds nothing.
In general, it is strange that this triangle is tied to my Track IR view.

Don't you remember which parameter need to change?

"[HUD_BankIndicator]
SymbolType=ROLL_INDICATOR
ImageFilename=cockpit\hud\HUD_BKI.tga
ImagePosition=0.0,0.030
ImageSize=0.35
ScaleImageFilename=cockpit\hud\HUD_bankindic.tga
ScaleImageSize=0.133
ScaleImagePosition=0.00,0.030
Scale=1.0
MaxValue=31
MinValue=-31
HorizontalAlignment=CENTER
VerticalAlignment=CENTER"

Edited by SandMartin

So, there is full list of tweaks I made:

1) The "SHOOT" message on the HUD was displayed incorrectly - I had to delete it so as not to mislead the pilot, since the internal tools of the game did not make it right. We need to have avionic80.dll.
The "LOFT" message has also been removed from the HUD, since our AIM-7 is launched on a normal rather than LOFT trajectory

2) Changed the names of HUD - 7M and 9M to the more versatile AIM7 and AIM9, since there are several types of these missiles in the game. It's a game convention.

3) On the HUD, when choosing the AGM-84 missile, the AG indicator is added opposite the number of missiles. Before that, just a counter was displayed.

4) The angle of attack and Mach indicator are now displayed in all HUD modes.

5) Roll pointer on HUD in navigation and landing mode now works fine.

6) The sound of the plane inside is made with vanilla, no left background conversations on the walkie-talkie.

7) Black smoke of afterburner exhaust is made in the image and likeness of vanilla F-16A and F-15A

8) Now the afterburner texture inside the nozzle light up correctly, and does not burn all the time.

9) The afterburner flame is now in the likeness of the standard F-15A and F-16A

10) Added vortices on the leading-edge root extension (LEX Vapors)

11) Removed vortices from the tips of vertical tails.

12) Removed the  prandtl-gloert cone. Moreover, the other planes in the game do not have it.

13) Hornet pilot is now standard NAVY, from F-14A

14) The number of shells for the M61 cannon has been adjusted to 578 (was 570)

15) Fixed glitch textures. Now in TrackIR you can look back over your shoulder, and you are not afraid to see a glitch in the texture of the back of the chair. For this, the pilot's point of view had to be slightly shifted.

16) The wheels "pumped up" a little, as they usually fell through the concrete in the parking lot.

17) The left MFD in the cockpit now correctly displays the indicators of all standard vanilla weapons. To display the bombs on the central pylon, they had to make copies with a different internal name. (see Weapons folder)

18) Fixed Bomb Rack - now =<1000 pound bombs hang side by side, like on most real Hornets. Also they can now carry 2xMK83

19) The air target designator (TD Box) on the HUD now does not disappear when approaching the HUD border, but "sticks" to it, that is, it indicates where the target is (while the radar is holding the target). It is more convenient to point the nose of the aircraft towards the target when it is not visible visually, but the radar keeps it locked.

20) In some places, I slightly corrected the textures - the arrows on the map (on the lower MFD) are a little whiter and brighter - that is, the compass on its background is now read a little better .. Also on the right MFD, the attitude indicator (DDI) made a bright yellow waterline to  light green. (After all, the MFDs in the cockpit of the early Hornets were black/green monochrome)

21) I changed the mass of the drop tanks - it was 1000 became 1350 kg (this is how it turns out if you calculate the mass of 330 gallons of fuel and add the mass of the empty tank).

22) Adjusted fuel consumption and top speed. Now at altitude, it does not overtake everyone in a row with full suspensions as it was configured at the Mirage Factory.
Before that, he calmly gained Mach 1.75 with a full load and also almost did not consume fuel (2.5 times less than the F-16).
Now, at an altitude of 40,000 feet, a maximum of Mach 1.78-82 is empty (according to the performance characteristics in real life, 1.8M) and also consumes a little more fuel than the F-16A Netz (due to two engines and 2.5 tons more aircraft mass).

23) Nozzles at idle throttle position are now maximum open.

24) In case of severe critical damage, the MFD just screens go out

25) Adjusted hardpoints. Air-to-air missiles and Walleye missiles can no longer be attached to points 3 and 7

26) Added custom pictures - loading screen and hangar screen

27) To make my mod differ in the list of mods the plane is renamed from "F/A-18A Hornet" to "F-18A Hornet" . It is also a tribute to the early hornets who at that time in the literature were called the "F-18A"

1.02b Exclusive:

28) The aircraft is limited only by the AIM-9L/9M and AIM-7F/7M air-to-air missiles. The indicators of A-A missles on the left MFD is more authentic.

https://cloud.mail.ru/public/Hqtz/TKX11ye5K

Edited by SandMartin
  • Like 1

On 03.02.2021 at 10:13 PM, CrazyhorseB34 said:

You are learning! Any help you need. Let me know!

Do you know how to make the flaps extend more smoothly?
Now they come out in less than a second, but on a real hornet they are a little slower.

And the second question, which function is responsible for turning on the formation lights (long perpendicular neon lights) on your mod? They just work and turn on regardless of navigation lights and the texture "slimer.tga" is displayed.

I would like to understand why when the lights are turned on, the texture starts to be displayed and by default the texture is not displayed. What part of code is responsible for this?

I only found this:

f/a-18a_data.ini

[RightNoseSlimer]
SystemType=LIGHT
LightNodeName=LP_Nose_Right
CanFlash=FALSE

But I do not see a variable that is responsible for not displaying the texture "slimer.tga" by default.

Edited by SandMartin

2 hours ago, SandMartin said:

Do you know how to make the flaps extend more smoothly?
Now they come out in less than a second, but on a real hornet they are a little slower.

thats animation speed, set up in the original model if im not mistaken (which is possible as this is a pre coffee post)

without access to the original max file, you wont be able to adapt the speed

as to slimers, most of them are luminous materials again on the models. no on or off, just brightness that is there at night and not very visible during the day. any tga covering is for color but would be found in the decal.ini within the skin if you want to play with it.

14 minutes ago, daddyairplanes said:

thats animation speed, set up in the original model if im not mistaken (which is possible as this is a pre coffee post)

without access to the original max file, you wont be able to adapt the speed

as to slimers, most of them are luminous materials again on the models. no on or off, just brightness that is there at night and not very visible during the day. any tga covering is for color but would be found in the decal.ini within the skin if you want to play with it.

why then slimers reacts to the CTRL + L button, and does not light up constantly?

Edited by SandMartin

because they are set in data ini as lights...remove lines at the very end of data.ini.

and then they will not pop on ctrl+L - but they will be always enabled. 

Slimers are made in very different ways by different modders. Some will add them as lights as on F/A-18, some will add them as nodes with transparent TGA so they are quite dim/barely visible during the day and will illuminate during the night. Independently to standard position lights.

• Like 1