Sign in to follow this  
Gepard

Insignias for a new nation

I need the wisdom of our forum.

I made a new nation. Added this nation in the nations.ini, which belongs to flight folder. The sequence number of this nation is [Nation213].

I made a insignia for this nation and put it in decals folder. But if i start a plane for this nation in game the insignias are not to see on the  plane.

Has someone the idea, in which folder i must place the insignia213.tga file?

Edited by Gepard

I think Insigina belongs in the root of Objects\Decals folder...no sub-folder.

In the decals.ini of the skin should be an entry for the decal with "FilenameFormat=Insignia" and "DecalLevel=0".

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nyghtfall said:

In the decals.ini of the skin should be an entry for the decal with "FilenameFormat=Insignia" and "DecalLevel=0".

there is, although to the best of my recollection it calls the stock decals only straight from the CAT files.

8 minutes ago, Nyghtfall said:

I think Insigina belongs in the root of Objects\Decals folder...no sub-folder.

i dont recall seeing that in any mods since SF2 first came out. though it may have been tidiness rather than function

while not exactly what you are looking for Gepard, most new or different nation tgas that ive seen just have the nations name in the decal folder within the mod folder. ie just "insigniaNewNation" rather than "insignia213". im sure someone else will come up with the answer, but most folks seem to take the easier route

2 hours ago, Gepard said:

Has someone the idea, in which folder i must place the insignia213.tga file?

As Nyghtfall said, it goes in the root Decals folder. However, a single InsigniaXXX.tga file does not suffice in covering the plane with decals on all sides.

You must tweak the ALIAS.LST file, and that is a very tricky part. That file is responsible for telling the game which texture is to be used in all decal instances the stock game provides. For instance, in it you'll find something like this;

InsigniaLVBR257.tga Insignia257.tga                
InsigniaLVBWingL001.tga Insignia001.tga   

Basically, you're telling the game to use the Insignia257.tga texture when the decals.ini calls for InsigniaLVBR. This is just an example, the game does feature so many other instances for which you must specify a texture, such as InsigniaL, InsigniaR, InsigniaLVL, InsigniaLVR, InsigniaLVGR, InsigniaLVGL, InsigniaFuseR, InsigniaFuseL, and so on...

I suggest you try my Nations Expansion packages to see how it works in detail: https://combatace.com/files/file/16986-nations-medals-expansion/

AFAIK it's the only package providing a tweaked ALIAS.LST file, fully compatible with the stock nations.ini of SF2.

Alternatively, this "fork" I produced could be more immediate: https://combatace.com/files/file/17484-ace-combat-nations/

Edited by Menrva

18 hours ago, Menrva said:

You must tweak the ALIAS.LST file, and that is a very tricky part.

I have tried to find the ALIAS.LST, but i failed. In which CAT i can find it?

Okay, i got it. Problem solved. Thanks for all answers.

I included the german Luftwaffe and the fictionary Air Force of the Republic of Germany.

img00483.thumb.JPG.0dfd9c06c96337b743e7f1e31f7aee22.JPG

I cant show the swastika in screenshot. Its forbitten by german law.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Gepard said:

Wasn't the ban lifted in August 2018? Here's an article about it: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-45142651

EDIT: I read the article more carefully; the ban is lifted only on officially rated videogames. In the case of custom content, of course you're still subject to the general ban.

Edited by Menrva

On 28/4/2021 at 7:57 PM, Gepard said:

Okay, i got it. Problem solved. Thanks for all answers.

I included the german Luftwaffe and the fictionary Air Force of the Republic of Germany.

Will you provide a historical background?

3 hours ago, Stratos said:

Will you provide a historical background?

It will come the the terrain Battle of Britain 2 Operation Seelöwe. I tought it could be interesting to switch the campaign from 1940 to 1956 with Hunters and Canberras for the blue side and MiG-17 and IL-28 for the red side.

The historical (what if) background is a successfull assassination of Adolf Hitler and a successfull military coup against the nazis. In result of the events a new german government was formed and a Republik Deutschland (Republic of Germany) was founded. Between the RoG and the western allies it came to an armistice and later a peace treaty. The war against the USSR was continuing fighting which ended in 1950 with a draw.

In 1956 the RoG overwhelmed France again and started a second attempt to conquer Britain.

• Like 1