Ingame, they fly great, and I think they were also supposed to IRL, however i can't make much sense of it. By every source I've seen, they are quite heavier than daylight F-86 variants, with a higher wing loading and lower thrust to weight despite the afterburning engine, yet they can outclimb them and accelerate faster, and at least in game, they are as good at turning. 

Does anybody know about how they actually handled IRL? Am I missing something?

I don't know about turn performance, but the afterburner makes a noticeable difference in max climb rate:

F-86D: 12,150 ft/min

F-86F-40: 9,000 ft/min (46 m/s) at sea level

That difference in rate of climb is a direct measure of specific excess power, which should mean much better acceleration.

The higher wing loading should decrease overall agility/max turn rate, but the extra power might actually provide comparable if not superior sustained turn rate, as SEP is much higher despite the weight gain.

• Thanks 1

are you playing the old (original) or the newer versions I uploaded some months ago?? IIRC, when I upgraded some skins and decals, the data ini got some reworking too (D & L marks)

Wow, that's new to me! Post a link to them (bit lazy to search).:biggrin:

Claudio, I thought you said you were retiring? You should have plenty of time!!!! :lol:

F-86L remod:

F-86D remod

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Wrench said:

are you playing the old (original) or the newer versions I uploaded some months ago?? IIRC, when I upgraded some skins and decals, the data ini got some reworking too (D & L marks)

The new ones. I have the K alone right now, but i had both the D and L and i also had the feeling they flew great, it was just harder with the rockets. Still managed to get a few kills just by sticking to their tail and throwing them all close enough to poke them with a lance thanks to how well they handled.

I got outclimbed (on a K) and outturned by a MiG-17F over the which i had a serious energy advantage (on his six, 400ish knots vs his 250ish, 1000 ft above him) when he hit the burner, pulled up and started turning and reversing, but other than that, it was great.