Sign in to follow this  
CastelEtzwane

Invisible Brick Wall ?

Looky what I accidentally recorded. I was trying to get a picture of my Camel in the foreground after landing, with another Camel landing in the background.

The first A.I. Camel has landed and rolled to the end of the field. My Camel pilot landed next and swung off to the right instead of rolling to the end of the field.

Then I start taking screenshots:

CFS3_2021_07_30_21_51_28_000.jpg

In comes Historical Ace Charles Dawson Booker and he makes a normal landing. His Camel rolls some yards and then seems to hit an invisible brick wall. The aircraft jerks to a complete stop and emits brown smoke.

CFS3_2021_07_30_21_51_31_189.jpg

CFS3_2021_07_30_21_51_38_896.jpg

CFS3_2021_07_30_21_51_40_690.jpg

CFS3_2021_07_30_21_51_50_203.jpg

CFS3_2021_07_30_21_51_52_198.jpg

Historical Ace Kinkead is the last man and sets down a little to the left of Booker. He rolls by Booker's Camel and eventually goes all the way to the end of the field with no problem.

I then restarted my pilot's Camel engine and rolled over to Booker to look for a bomb crater or some other kind of obstruction but could find none.

The airfield in question is Noeux-les-Auxi in the Flanders region, July 1918.

So does anyone have an explanation for what happened here ?

I'm curious because the same thing happened to my SE5a pilot in the RR Challenge, except he rolled only a few feet before he 'hit the brick wall' and in his case the aircraft exploded in flames.

There are no hidden brick walls, but it's possible he came down too heavy and damaged the gear or something else so eventually it stops or catches fire.

Happens sometimes, they can also sometimes hit another aircraft on landing all part of the fun. We also very much try not to have them perfect like robots as many people were killed in landing accidents.

Edited by Polovski

8 hours ago, Polovski said:

he came down too heavy and damaged the gear or something else so eventually it stops or catches fire.

On 8/4/2021 at 4:28 PM, Polovski said:

There are no hidden brick walls, but it's possible he came down too heavy and damaged the gear or something else so eventually it stops or catches fire.

Happens sometimes, they can also sometimes hit another aircraft on landing all part of the fun. We also very much try not to have them perfect like robots as many people were killed in landing accidents.

OK, thanks for the reply.

Well, I'm a bit fuzzy as to how things went when it came to landing aircraft during WWI but I don't recall any cases of aircraft bursting into flames as a result of a bad landing.

Right now I'm reading Gould's 'No Parachute' and his No.46 squadron has transitioned from Pups to Camels. He comments about how tricky the Camel is to fly, and that the new pilots had a tendency to 'break' Camels while practicing landing, leading to much extra repair work by the squadron mechanics. But no one was seriously injured during the switch, so I don't think that flameouts were a thing that happened as a result of bad landings.

Let us not forget the case of Ira 'Taffy' Jones, SE5a pilot with 37 victories , who was bad at landing and is reputed to have crashed 28 times. (https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-43569955)

Also, it seems as if the animations which depict bad landings are not in agreement with what actually happens. To my way of thinking, the foward momentum of a landing aircraft should not suddenly stop unless that aircraft collided with an inanimate object like a wall. So far what I have seen are animations of aircraft suddenly halting for no apparent reason and taking damage.

If my pilot runs into a bomb crater while landing, shouldn't the aircraft slew around or continue forward in some manner even if it means flipping over ? Could be that this happens but I haven't seen it yet.

note: I need to remember to run the 'Mission Review' next time this happens in order to see what exactly it is that the pilot has run into.

On 8/4/2021 at 11:39 PM, catch said:

Would it be distasteful if Pol were to insert a random easter egg with footage of these guys when your campaign....uh...."ends abruptly" LOL