Piecemeal

Editing Colours on the Layer of a PSD file using GIMP

Ok, so....... I've been out of the loop for a good while so please be patient 

I've downloaded Sundowner's excellent hi-res Hunter Mk.6 templates and have been trying to change the colours of the standard olive/grey camo pattern. I've isolated the specific layers but after selecting the new colours I've been unable to fill those layers with them. I assumed it was just a case of sampling a colour and then using the 'Bucket Fill' method, but obviously not. The knowledge base here doesn't seem to show anything of help and Google Search is just no help at all. Can somebody give a few pointers as to where I'm going wrong and what I should be doing? Any advice would be a huge help :help:

both because of the difficulty you're having, and just as general practice try making a copy of the layer then changing the color.

it happens to me from time to time. i go to the above or reset method. im guessing youre keeping the pattern but changing the color

14 hours ago, daddyairplanes said:

im guessing youre keeping the pattern but changing the color

Correctamundo:declare:

I use Gimp and actually working on a A-4 skin using Nyghtfall PSD templates.

After left selected the necessary layer, export ( not save ) as jpg then reopen on Gimp, more simple to work this way

I dont use Gimp but is there an option to change Hue/Saturation etc ? This is how I change individual colours in photoshop when changing a euro green lets say to a desert sand type colour........If that makes sense

40 minutes ago, Sundowner said:

I dont use Gimp but is there an option to change Hue/Saturation etc ? This is how I change individual colours in photoshop when changing a euro green lets say to a desert sand type colour........If that makes sense

yes, that is one of several options. sometimes it sticks though. my complaint level however will equal what i paid for it so...

3 hours ago, RustyKurnass said:

After left selected the necessary layer, export ( not save ) as jpg then reopen on Gimp, more simple to work this way

you talking "Open as Layer" or opening a whole new project tab? asking for clarity, as i myself go the first mentioned route when i do something like that

It's not absolutely perfect, but for an AI aircraft it certainly fits the bill. I can edit the borders of the dark brown to take the rough edges off it at a later stage. 

img00143.thumb.JPG.5df57768cacbd9089b7b8402e2d58cda.JPG

To all those who provided help and advice, thank you so much. Your assistance is hugely appreciated :ty:

• Like 4

10 hours ago, daddyairplanes said:

yes, that is one of several options. sometimes it sticks though. my complaint level however will equal what i paid for it so...

you talking "Open as Layer" or opening a whole new project tab? asking for clarity, as i myself go the first mentioned route when i do something like that

I can explain how I work on the Nyghtfall PSD file actually.

Open the necessary map file and hide all the unecessary layers ( with the small eye button) and left only the basic camo to work with, At this point I export the file as a JPG format, as I noted is more simple to work.

At this point you work directely on this file and when finished, reopen the original PSD file and this time hide the camo layer, pratically all the contrary of the previous step. Now you have the layers with rivets, panel lines,ecc... and you can copy and past over your reworked camo et voilà.

BTW I'm a noob on skin without a precise  and technically right modus operandi...

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RustyKurnass said:

BTW I'm a noob on skin without a precise  and technically right modus operandi..

we all start somewhere.

and as some instructors said before my last deployment, its not THE way, its just A way.

of course they also said they were there to make us more gooder (exact quote) so.... :lol: