Menrva

OpenFA alpha 0.1 Release

I forgot I was a follower of Terrence Cole's YouTube channel containing just a single video about this OpenFA project of his. Well, just one hour ago, he posted a video about the release of an alpha version of his work.

More links in the video's description. Apparently it's an open source recreation of Jane's Fighters Anthology engine. It does look good!

Strike Fighters 2 WinX Edition is not going to happen, TK has been off the radar for so long. So I'm very curious about OpenFA. For the release to work, it seems it is required to at least install Jane's FA or one of its previous expansions/releases.

• Like 6

It looks cool. I hope my life will be long enough to wait for the release. I played this game as i remember at 1998

Thanks @Menrva for digging this up. It's an interesting nice project.

Quotes from the project's website and gitlab:

[Why Fighters Anthology?]

Since there was no illusion that a game of the era could faithfully simulate a real cockpit, there was a strong focus on the gameplay, in addition to building a facsimile of reality. As computers became powerful enough to be "realistic", it left behind the broad base of people who enjoy flight, but don't have the free time to spend 30+ hours memorizing where all the switches are in each new cockpit. In short, I wanted my mid-tier sims back and Fighters Anthology is the best of the bunch.

and

For those that don't know, OpenFA is a black-box re-implementation of the Janes Fighters Anthology engine, derived wholely from inspection of the game assets and observation of the game's behavior.

I totally can relate to both. Although I would replace Janes Fighters Anthology with SF2 :wink:

• Like 2

On 12/1/2022 at 5:17 PM, mue said:

Thanks @Menrva for digging this up. It's an interesting nice project.

Quotes from the project's website and gitlab:

and

I totally can relate to both. Although I would replace Janes Fighters Anthology with SF2 :wink:

There are still features that SF2 is missing, which is included in Jane's Fighter Anthology:

1) Lockable Air to Ground radar for cruiser missiles.  Jane's FA have more features with anything related to air to ground mode.  I wish SF2 have that features.

2) Jane's FA also have excellent weapon loading screen while spliting between air to air and air to ground.  I wish SF2 have more detailed ways of organizing loadout. 

We wish that TK would come back and work on expanding SF2 further, which woudl be awesome!

Edited by Eagle114th

This has really great potential and I can't wait to play with it more!  Breathing new life into Fighters Anthology is truly amazing.  FA shall live forever.