I find GIMP so easy for making decals and especially if you make your default 'canvas' a transparency. My tutorial is on here somewhere.

I'll convert these for you. Give me 5 minutes.

To work with tga files you need a paint program which can handle it. I use a very old PaitshopPro.

I've done them at 90% opacity. The finflash has been scaled down a bit to give a gap around the finflash. It was touching the sides which won't work (well it will, but the entire mesh will be covered in colour).

FINFLASH242.tga

INSIGNIA242.tga

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MindtheGap

Edited by Spinners
Added piccie
  • Like 1

still discussing GIMP, now that he gave you a fish lunch, i'll teach you how to fish for yourself.

open the file, under files select Export As (NOT SAVE AS) then make sure teh file type is .tga

gimp.thumb.jpg.7b0a7b1eb357ec6c9a39638384ddb7d1.jpg

uncheck the box next to RLE compression. this pops up the first time you open GIMP, and then it will stay that way for any other tgas you open during that session.

open any others you need to fix and export them, allowing overwrites.

sometimes when working with serials, i forget to uncheck the box first time out. so i might make a dozen serial number decals before realizing the filse sizes are too small. so i have to follow the steps above to fix them

• Like 1

TK's decal tutorial (available around here someplace!!) says a minimum of 5 pixels between the image and the edge of the background. I try to use substantially more

6 hours ago, Spinners said:

I've done them at 90% opacity. The finflash has been scaled down a bit to give a gap around the finflash. It was touching the sides which won't work (well it will, but the entire mesh will be covered in colour).

FINFLASH242.tga

INSIGNIA242.tga

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MindtheGap

Ah i see, though when i  checked on my libyan finflashes suprisingly they didnt have a gap but they did work

It'd be like trying to mod the weapon file on TMFs Mig-29 though/ a needle in a haystack