Sign in to follow this  
alexis99

Drogue Chute, Drag Chute

Since we were talking about drogue chutes, I did some research on War Thunder Wiki, and they claim that the following aircraft have drogue chutes:

UK: HUNTER FGA.9, JAGUAR GR1, JAGUAR GR.1A, LIGHTNING F.6, LIGHTNING F.53, PHANTOM FG.1, PHANTOM FGR.2, EUROFIGHTER TYPHOON

US: F-4C, F4E, F4J, F-5E, F-105D,F-104C, F-104A, F-100D, F-5A, F-5C, F-84F

FRANCE: F-84F, F-84F IAF, S.O.4050 VAUTOUR, VAUTOUR IIA IDF/A, ETENDARD IVM, F-86K, F-100D, JAGUAR A, JAGUAR E, MILAN,
SUPER MYSTERE B2, MIRAGE 5F, MIRAGE F1C, MIRAGE F1C-200,MIRAGE F1CT, MIRAGE IIIC, MIRAGE IIIE, MIRAGE 2000C-S5, MIRAGE 2000D-R1

There are lots of aircraft from other countries, if you are interested.

You can fit a working drogue chute on any aircraft that should have one, even though it won't have a visual model.

In the aircraft DATA file you add this notation to the fuselage:

SystemName[NEXT NUMBER]=BrakeChute

Further down, next to airbrakes for neatness, you add this:

[BrakeChute]
SystemType=AIRBRAKE
DeployTime=3.0
RetractTime=1.5
AnimationID=10
DragArea=30.00
MaxDeploySpeed=87.45
BlowbackSpeed=89.45
FullyDeployOnGround=TRUE

The above is what I borrowed from the F-117 and use on the F-4E. The F-117 has a beautiful visual model of a drogue parachute, but you can't have that.

I adjusted the MaxDeploySpeed (given in metres per second) to170 kts, which is probably the highest speed you would land. 
I haven't a clue what blowback speed is. I just changed it to have a corresponding relationship with MaxDeploy.
If the chute isn't slowing you down enough, you can change the Drag Area.

You're welcome

• Like 1

I don't see the point of using this without a visual model. For what. Use wheel settings. With this you can achieve both a 10 kilometer run after landing and an instant stop

HasBrakes=TRUE
BrakingCoefficient=0.75    <--------------------

In Gears section

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, bazillius said:

I don't see the point of using this without a visual model

Then don't use it.

Incidentally, you have to remove the 10 here

AnimationID=10

Otherwise, when you land in the F-105 and the chute kicks in, the cockpit flips open.

That prompted me to investigate canopy animations as in the next thread

A drogue chute is not a drag chute ...

you can have both; when first deployed, the DROGUE pops out, and pulls the DRAG chute out

I'd suggest watching some of the films around that show their deployments; most are from the 1950s (Bombers B-52, Strategic Air Command, tv series like Steve Canyon - it's on amazon)

Drogues can also be used as a stabilazer, as skydivers (and some ejection modules) use them to control excessive movments (spinning, etc) before main chute deployment. (watch Apollo command modules, even in still you can see the drogues)

Fascinating. Thank you. I stand corrected.

Actually, I now see where my mistake arose.

On War Thunder Wiki, where I did my initial research, the article was entitled "Category:Aircraft with drogue parachute", and I just continued with their terminology.

They don't have any articles about drag parachutes.

Wikpedia says "A drogue parachute is a parachute designed for deployment from a rapidly-moving object. It can be used for various purposes, such as to decrease speed, to provide control and stability, or as a pilot parachute to deploy a larger parachute".

Edited by alexis99
clarification
  • Like 1

The blowback speed is used for flaps. It is the speed when the air resistance is big enough to "blow" the flap back to the starting position.

Gepard beat me to it!

On 2/20/2023 at 3:24 PM, Gepard said:

The blowback speed is used for flaps. It is the speed when the air resistance is big enough to "blow" the flap back to the starting position.

That's interesting. Thank you Gepard and Wrench. 

So the follow up question is what effect does it have on airbrakes? Would it blow the airbrake back to its retracted position?

And if the airbrake is a fake chute, then would it figuratively release the chute and return the aircraft to a no brake chute situation?

I think I'll investigate this further.

If i have understood it correctly, then airbrakes in reality have no blowback speed. When they are released, then they are released. But iI could imagine, that there is a speed, when the force of the airstream is to strong, that an airbrake can nor released.

For a dragchute it is possible, that it is tore off or ragged off when the airspeed is to high. And than the drag of the dragchute is 0.

generally, there is a safety limit when you can deploy airbrakes. When, during flight, dive, etc speed exceeds the limit,  hydraulic system kicks in and will close the airbrakes.

On 2/19/2023 at 2:44 PM, bazillius said:

I don't see the point of using this without a visual model. For what. Use wheel settings. With this you can achieve both a 10 kilometer run after landing and an instant stop

HasBrakes=TRUE
BrakingCoefficient=0.75    <--------------------

In Gears section

Well,  I have the visual models of brake chutes installed now. I realise this may be old news, but the Yankee Air Pirate Mod has brake chute animations which are triggered by the Bay-door command. Ctrl+O. They are installed on all the Vietnam aircraft that should have them. There's a lot of other cool stuff that the modders have come up with in that free-to-download package.

This is why I've always whined about the general modder community not working together to share discoveries that every modder could use.