Rooster

FE2 Ammo types

is it possible to change ammo types for the Vickers? i want to use incendiaries :pilotfly:

Edited by Rooster

moved to correct forum

This should get you the help you requested

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Wrench said:

moved to correct forum

This should get you the help you requested

THANKS!

• Like 1

On the Third Wire website you will find a Guns Editor (Feb 2010) for First Eagles 2.
But I must confess that I have never used this editor. 

I believe that, when VonS can answer you he will be able to help much better than me in this area.

Anyway, check out the download here   http://thirdwire.com/downloads_tools.htm

Or here at CombatAce   

• Thanks 1

the editor opens to a box which says select saved game folder where no folders to select

i must have missed something

a text file line somewhere to make it read where the mod folder is at

@Rooster,

As far as I know, for incendiary choices, the best one is the Le Prieur rocket option available for some of the Nieups., such as the 11, 16, 17 and 23.

In terms of the Vickers, there is the Mark I, one or two improvements for the Mark I (designated "I_I"), also the Mk. II, and others, available in a stock install of FE2 under Saved Games/ThirdWire/FirstEagles2/Objects/Guns.

If you are using the guns modifications available in my FM/realism pack for FE2, you will find other variants in there as well, such as a "Mk2boost" (Mk. II Vickers with booster on one of the guns, etc.). However, none of those are necessarily incendiary. The aircraft data inis, by the way, that are included in my FM mods pack(s), are linked to the modified gun variant data inis also included in the FM mod pack -- so there's no need to tinker with such details if my FM pack(s) are installed in full (aircraft mods, gun mods, etc.).

To experiment further, regarding incendiary ammo, once you go into any aircraft data ini file of choice, search for the "Internal Guns" section. Once there, change the gun listed under the "GunTypeName=" to something other than what is currently listed. For example, in the late Albatros D.II data ini I've tweaked, the GunTypeName entry (for both the left and right M.G.s) is:

7.92MM_SPANDAU_LMG08/15

For Entente aircraft, on the other hand, there will be a Lewis or Vickers sub-type listed there. Then, change out the Vickers, or Lewis that is listed, for some other higher-caliber option that is by default included under Saved Games/ThirdWire/FirstEagles2/Objects/Guns. I recommend trying the "1PDR_VICKERS_MK3" or "11mm_VICKERS_BALLOON_GUN" option, without quotation marks, to see if one of those gives more satisfactory results.

So, in short, while I don't think there are any incendiary options beyond the Le Prieur rockets available in FE2 (and while I haven't tweaked any higher-caliber options for my FM mods packages, beyond standard Spandau, Parebellum, Lewis, Hotchkiss, and Vickers variants, to change rate of fire and reliability across different periods of WWI, etc.) -- a higher-caliber option for any of the M.G.s might be worth trying out -- with results somewhat similar to those of incendiary rounds, I suppose.

Have never used the gun editor program that Julio has kindly linked to above (I tweak the data ini files by opening them in text-edit programs) -- so I can't offer any comments on those various editors that are available.

Happy flying (and flaming),

:smile:

Edited by VonS
Edited post.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, VonS said:

@Rooster,

As far as I know, for incendiary choices, the best one is the Le Prieur rocket option available for some of the Nieups., such as the 11, 16, 17 and 23.

In terms of the Vickers, there is the Mark I, one or two improvements for the Mark I (designated "I_I"), also the Mk. II, and others, available in a stock install of FE2 under Saved Games/ThirdWire/FirstEagles2/Objects/Guns.

If you are using the guns modifications available in my FM/realism pack for FE2, you will find other variants in there as well, such as a "Mk2boost" (Mk. II Vickers with booster on one of the guns, etc.). However, none of those are necessarily incendiary. The aircraft data inis, by the way, that are included in my FM mods pack(s), are linked to the modified gun variant data inis also included in the FM mod pack -- so there's no need to tinker with such details if my FM pack(s) are installed in full (aircraft mods, gun mods, etc.).

To experiment further, regarding incendiary ammo, once you go into any aircraft data ini file of choice, search for the "Internal Guns" section. Once there, change the gun listed under the "GunTypeName=" to something other than what is currently listed. For example, in the late Albatros D.II data ini I've tweaked, the GunTypeName entry (for both the left and right M.G.s) is:

7.92MM_SPANDAU_LMG08/15

For Entente aircraft, on the other hand, there will be a Lewis or Vickers sub-type listed there. Then, change out the Vickers, or Lewis that is listed, for some other higher-caliber option that is by default included under Saved Games/ThirdWire/FirstEagles2/Objects/Guns. I recommend trying the "1PDR_VICKERS_MK3" or "11mm_VICKERS_BALLOON_GUN" option, without quotation marks, to see if one of those gives more satisfactory results.

So, in short, while I don't think there are any incendiary options beyond the Le Prieur rockets available in FE2 (and while I haven't tweaked any higher-caliber options for my FM mods packages, beyond standard Spandau, Parebellum, Lewis, Hotchkiss, and Vickers variants, to change rate of fire and reliability across different periods of WWI, etc.) -- a higher-caliber option for any of the M.G.s might be worth trying out -- with results somewhat similar to those of incendiary rounds, I suppose.

Have never used the gun editor program that Julio has kindly linked to above (I tweak the data ini files by opening them in text-edit programs) -- so I can't offer any comments on those various editors that are available.

THANKS!

im downloading your tweaks package right now

you sir made everything clear and simple

i prefer editing in text too :ty:

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, VonS said:

@Rooster,

7.92MM_SPANDAU_LMG08/15

awesome work you did with the mod package!

i have tried the mk II Vickers, 2 sec burst didnt take an Albatros down, i made sure in the debrief, i counted up to 20 hits

i missed something clearly

may be i shoud tweak MuzzleVel or Ammowt ?

or the aircraft itself for how much damage it could endure?

Edited by Rooster

If you modify your machine guns to carry incendiary ammunition in FE2, be careful to carry a letter from your squadron commander certifying that you are on an authorised anti-balloon mission.

Otherwise, if captured with incendiary ammunition in your guns, you are liable to being court-martialled by your captors for using ammunition which is illegal for “normal use”  under the Geneva Conventions.  

WW1 was that kind of war.

Edited by Mike Dora
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Mike Dora said:

If you modify your machine guns to carry incendiary ammunition in FE2, be careful to carry a letter from your squadron commander certifying that you are on an authorised anti-balloon mission.

Otherwise, if captured with incendiary ammunition in your guns, you are liable to being court-martialled by your captors for using ammunition which is illegal for “normal use”  under the Geneva Conventions.  

WW1 was that kind of war.

ya! totally

it was so knightly thing up in the air

if i could manage to put the plane on the ground one piece i`d set it on fire

NO EVIDENCE :rofl:

Edited by Rooster
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Rooster said:

... may be i shoud tweak MuzzleVel or Ammowt ?

or the aircraft itself for how much damage it could endure?

The stock Albatros D.III and D.V/Va are rather difficult to take down easily in FE2. I've toned down the "DefaultArmorThickness" and "MassFraction" nos. on those mid-war/late-war Alby. types (among many other FM changes) -- but they still require either a good hit on the engine, or pilot, most of the time -- to take down (or the occasional lucky flamer -- lucky for you; not for them).

Recommended, for those who like to tweak manually, and if you are still vexed by late Alby. types -- is to change the DefaultArmorThickness value in the aircraft data ini file from 25 to 24 (or from 24 to 23, depending on the sub-variant of Alby.).

The alternative is to increase "AmmoWT" and "Accuracy" values in the various gun data ini files -- or to use a different gun type such as "Mk2boost" instead of the standard "Mk2" Vickers, etc. (Accuracy varies among the different M.G. types and different interrupter gears used per M.G., in my FM/realism pack, by the way.)

Cheers all,

Edited by VonS
Added info.
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, VonS said:

The stock Albatros D.III and D.V/Va are rather difficult to take down easily in FE2. I've toned down the "DefaultArmorThickness" and "MassFraction" nos. on those mid-war/late-war Alby. types (among many other FM changes) -- but they still require either a good hit on the engine, or pilot, most of the time -- to take down (or the occasional lucky flamer -- lucky for you; not for them).

Recommended, for those who like to tweak manually, and if you are still vexed by late Alby. types -- is to change the DefaultArmorThickness value in the aircraft data ini file from 25 to 24 (or from 24 to 23, depending on the sub-variant of Alby.).

The alternative is to increase "AmmoWT" and "Accuracy" values in the various gun data ini files -- or to use a different gun type such as "Mk2boost" instead of the standard "Mk2" Vickers, etc. (Accuracy varies among the different M.G. types and different interrupter gears used per M.G., in my FM/realism pack, by the way.)

Cheers all,

THANKS!

Armor! it has to be this one! it felt just like hitting a flying King Tiger tank! with every hit it twerks at me then keeps flying! :haha:

indeed! the Mk2Boost rate of fire is not as high as the normal mk2 or mk1, it is similar to that of 37s on the migs

On 9/18/2023 at 10:46 PM, Rooster said:

indeed! the Mk2Boost rate of fire is not as high as the normal mk2 or mk1, it is similar to that of 37s on the migs

The rate of fire entry is the one labeled "ROF" in the various gun data ini files. So, for example, "Vickers_Mk1" has a rate of 400, "Vickers_Mk1_1mod" a rate of 500, "Vickers_Mk2" a rate of 600, and "Vickers_MK2boost" a rate of 850. The muzzle booster used on some of the Mk.II's noticeably increased rate of fire, but somewhat decreased reliability (i.e., more gun jams possibly). A good post on the topic is available over here, on The Aerodrome website.

Cheers all & happy flying,

Edited by VonS
Fixed typos.
  • Thanks 1

i appreciate your help :smile:

i did something a little bit NUTS!

i copied the ammowt value and pasted it at warheadwt 

the result is REALLY NUTS :yikes: