Sign in to follow this  
TheStig

Increasing Roll Rate on Aircraft

I have an FM-2 Wildcat that seems to rollover slower than a 90 year old out of bed for her daily medicine.  How do I bump it up slightly?

Thanks!

• Haha 1

which one? The one I did is a 'stand in' using the F4F-4 as basis (short fin, Grumman built)

They also didn't have the best roll rates

Have an old paperback that said the F4F4 had a better roll rate than the Zero.  Climb rate was pathetic (fact too).

However when the FM-2 came out, it's reduced weight and power contributed to improvements in both, although no exact measurement was provided.  May have been more subject from the POV of the author, but I would assume a 10% improvement (more Conservative side.)

In his book "Duels in the sky" Eric 'Winkle' Brown stated that the Zeke had only a moderate rate of roll and that the Wildcat had a good rate of roll. It's not quite clear but I think he was referring to the F4F-3 Wildcat II.

Try adjusting the roll damping coefficient (Clp=  ) in the FM-2's Data.INI file. Open the FM-2.Data.INI and look for the lines Clp=xxx. The numbers will probably be something like -0.0125 for the left and right wings, and -0.1765 for the left and right outer wings.

Try reducing these numbers to something like -0.0105 for the wings, and -0.1265 for the outer wings. That should give you a better roll rate.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

You can also try to increase the Cldc coefficient (Roll moment due to control surface deflection). That coefficient is usually in the [LeftAileron] and [RightAileron] sections.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/22/2024 at 10:38 PM, Gatling20 said:

Try adjusting the roll damping coefficient (Clp=  ) in the FM-2's Data.INI file. Open the FM-2.Data.INI and look for the lines Clp=xxx. The numbers will probably be something like -0.0125 for the left and right wings, and -0.1765 for the left and right outer wings.

Try reducing these numbers to something like -0.0105 for the wings, and -0.1265 for the outer wings. That should give you a better roll rate.

This worked perfectly.  Went from an old lady to a 50 year old cougar with the libido of a bunny in the spring.

Thanks!

• Haha 1