Posted (edited)

I wanted to do something simple on the F-86A-5, F-86E-10, and F-86F-30 to have one of my favorite Air National Guard units represented for me to fly in my Korean War Campaigns so I create a "what-if" skin of the 127th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron, Kansas Air National Guard as though they had been activated during the Korean War and equipped with these F-86's when assigned to the 4th FIW.

I used the 334th FIS, 4th FIW as the basis for this and replaced the 334th FIS patch under the canopy for a custom 127th FIS patch I created. They all show up perfectly in LOD Viewer however the 127th FIS patch doesn't show-up under the canopy in the game as it should, and I can't figure out why.

Any ideas or suggestions?

F-86A-5 127FIS_1.jpg

F-86A-5 127FIS_2.jpg

F-86E-10 127FIS.jpg

F-86F-30 127FIS In-Game.JPG

F-86F-30 127FIS.jpg

Edited by CSomers611

did you build the TGA correctly? It looks like it placed correctly (where I put the 334th badge). Did you exceed the number of decals per mesh (try not to go over 3, although sometimes 4 works)

is the pathway correct for where the tga is stored?

what level is the decal? Level-=1 only works for squadrons listed in game's Squadronlist.ini. If you've left if L=1, change to 0, as it's specific for THAT that skin only

let us know what works or don't

• Like 1

Is the patch painted on the skin or is it a decal?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Wrench said:

did you build the TGA correctly? It looks like it placed correctly (where I put the 334th badge). Did you exceed the number of decals per mesh (try not to go over 3, although sometimes 4 works)

is the pathway correct for where the tga is stored?

what level is the decal? Level-=1 only works for squadrons listed in game's Squadronlist.ini. If you've left if L=1, change to 0, as it's specific for THAT that skin only

let us know what works or don't

I've checked and rechecked everything. I've even remade the tga numerous times, changed the decal level and it's still not showing up in game.

Everything I see is correct, so I don't know why it's not showing up in the game. I just noticed after I got 100 kills, the stars quit showing up as well on my F-86A-5.

I'm stumped!

Decal Location.jpg

F-86A-5 Decals Ini.jpg

Edited by CSomers611

1 hour ago, amariani said:

Is the patch painted on the skin or is it a decal?

it's a decal

did you make decal tga in gimp?

remember to uncheck RLE compression while exporting to TGA in gimp.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I've gotten the custom created patch to work correctly, I deleted everything and started over from scratch. Strange thing is I don't know exactly why it wasn't showing up.

I've even started making custom kill markings, each star is equal to 10 kills.

img00002.JPG

Edited by CSomers611
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

i'd move that patch a little bit back and down so as not to cover the stencils that are part of the skin. also maybe drop scale to 0.65   0.55

meanwhile,  welcome to the wonderful world of decals, where we get the best (and worst) of ini editing and digital artistry! :drinks:

Edited by daddyairplanes

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, daddyairplanes said:

i'd move that patch a little bit back and down so as not to cover the stencils that are part of the skin. also maybe drop scale to 0.65   0.55

meanwhile,  welcome to the wonderful world of decals, where we get the best (and worst) of ini editing and digital artistry! :drinks:

Here's the comparison of the 334th and 127th on the F-86E-10. The 334, 335, and 336 had large squadron patches in this area so I tried to mirror the 127th in the same manner as this "what-if" is based on the 127th falling into the 4th FIW. Still planning on tweaking it a bit, just glad it'd finally working!

F-86E-10 Comparison.jpg

Here's the comparison of the 334th and 127th on the F-86E-10. The 334, 335, and 336 had large squadron patches in this area so I tried to mirror the 127th in the same manner as this "what-if" is based on the 127th falling into the 4th FIW. Still planning on tweaking it a bit, just glad it'd finally working!

66b1619ad584f_F-86E-10127Update.jpg.07123932695c1319c2ee4d63d6a42a03.jpg

Here's my most recent 127th FIS on the F-86E-10, the sizing and placement has been changed along with the coloring.

Edited by CSomers611

DA: the 4th FG squadron's Sabres had the patches in the places I put them, based on photographic evidence (something I know YOU know about!!! :biggrin: )

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Wrench said:

DA: the 4th FG squadron's Sabres had the patches in the places I put them, based on photographic evidence (something I know YOU know about!!! :biggrin: )

I sent you a PM.

1 hour ago, Wrench said:

photo evidence yes. Sabres, admittedly not so much :lol:

• Haha 1

Thanks for everyone's help...I think I maybe addicted now!

66b2905e7274b_F-86A-5LuckyLauren.jpg.9cf1029c92a17ea87faae15df5d1cc30.jpg

img00001.thumb.JPG.f477de615432125ae7c85f94614e41a6.JPG

Thought it would only be right of me to name an aircraft after my wife!

• Like 3