Sign in to follow this  
Dave

I Just Can't Get Over This

I got a 404n error but you MUST be talking about"Duke"...I lost a hero today.

Met DUKE in Subic in '72. A good fighter jock and good guy. Lots of good combat tips.

I guess "money talks".

How can anyone think they can get away with that kind of thing with technology today?

With a Congressman's clout and Perks, why would he do that?

A good lesson for all ,From War Hero to GOAT in one easy Step.

When you sell your office you deserve what you get!!!

Met DUKE in Subic in '72. A good fighter jock and good guy. Lots of good combat tips.

I guess "money talks".

How can anyone think they can get away with that kind of thing with technology today?

With a Congressman's clout and Perks, why would he do that?

A good lesson for all ,From War Hero to GOAT in one easy Step.

When you sell your office you deserve what you get!!!

~S! exlead,

When you met Duke, were you a pilot as well? I ask only because of your comment about "good combat tips" and I wondered if you were flying over there as well. I met Duke much later in life, after I retired, but I was flying Phantoms in 'Nam in '72 with the USAF...maybe you and I ran across each other. Slim chance, but anything is possible.

Cheers,

Wags

~S! exlead,

When you met Duke, were you a pilot as well? I ask only because of your comment about "good combat tips" and I wondered if you were flying over there as well. I met Duke much later in life, after I retired, but I was flying Phantoms in 'Nam in '72 with the USAF...maybe you and I ran across each other. Slim chance, but anything is possible.

Cheers,

Wags

~S! exlead,

Cheers,

Wags

Yes, I was flying EA6A's and A6a's out of Danang.

I was with VMCJ-1(Marine ECM outfit). We were covering Navy Alpha Strikes from off the Carriers.

I also moonlighted with VMA-133. My Buddy was Ops Officer and they were short of crews.

I also was crosstrained in the RF-4b. I had about 100 hrs in it. The BEST DAMNED Fighter ever built!!!

MacDoug Rep said it proved that a brick could fly if you had big enough engines on it.

Raise your glass to BIG UGLY!!!

Yes, I was flying EA6A's and A6a's out of Danang.

I was with VMCJ-1(Marine ECM outfit). We were covering Navy Alpha Strikes from off the Carriers.

I also moonlighted with VMA-133. My Buddy was Ops Officer and they were short of crews.

I also was crosstrained in the RF-4b. I had about 100 hrs in it. The BEST DAMNED Fighter ever built!!!

MacDoug Rep said it proved that a brick could fly if you had big enough engines on it.

Raise your glass to BIG UGLY!!!

That's very interesting, exlead! Sounds like you had your share of excitement, too. I flew two tours w/USAF in Phantoms, first with 555th TFS and the second with the 335th TFS. After 'Nam, got fed up with USAF attempts to keep us combat vets out of cockpit and transfered commissions to the USMC. Flew F-4J's with VMFA-312 and VMFA-251; did 3 years of instructing in TA-4J's at Beeville, then went to USNTPS (Class '81) and ended up managing the F/A-18A/B flight test program at Pax. Best job I eve had! After I retired, I ran the flight test program for the A-4SU Super Skyhawk in Singapore. Good fun, that one!

Of all the birds I flew, though, I still have a soft spot for the F-4. It may not have been the best at any specific mission, but it was the best all-around fighter I flew. I guess if I had to go back to combat, I'd rather have a Hornet, but only because it dogfights like a dream and the avionics are outstanding!

Best of luck to you and thanks for your reply.

Cheers,

Wags

P.S. It is still a shame about Duke, though. A good man who screwed up big time!

Well, that's polotics for you. I'll always hold "Duke" in high regard when talking about air combat or our American aces, but man, did he screw up on this one. I can't say I've ever met him, I'm a bit younger than you guys who flew over there, but from what I had seen and read, he seemed like one of the good guys, charismatic, and concerned for the nation and its defense. It's really sad.

It's really sad.

That pretty much says it all, Caesar!

Wags

Ok I am newbie. Could someone please tell me what DUKE did????Found all posts very interesting concernign this but still dont know what he did :huh:

He accepted bribs...and he atleast had the intestional fortitude to own up.I just wish he'd have said no to start with.