Sign in to follow this  
bruceD

Need help from someone with 8800GT video Card

I'm hoping someone with a similar system can give me there settings for running OFF.(no don't run off please !)

This is the system I have: Gigabyte P35-DS3L, Intel E6750 duo-core 2.66 Ghz, 2Gb ram,Nvidia 8800 GT video card with 512 memory.

I have read the FAQ's and what to set, but according to a few people I really need to tweak this to get it to run well,so I'm asking for some help.

Right now I have the settings all at 2, except for clouds and texture which are at 1.It runs ok with fps around 50-60, but near the ground it tends to stutter a bit, especially when i use rudder for some reason.All my other sims especially iRacing run great, so I would rather stick to adjustments in the sim itself.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. BTW I can't say it enough this is one very great sim !

By configure what do you mean? I set the resolution at 1050 x 1680 x 32, I set the antaliasing at 0. As far as other settings I was hoping someone also had an 8800GT, and could try there settings as well. As far as iRacing goes I have that set and it works very well. I think you can strike a balance where all the sims you can run , are smooth enough to make them realistic. I've had systems that run all the "eye candy" and in the end it doesn't make the sim any better. I'll take smoothness over eye candy everytime. But with this system I have now, everything is a bit of a compromise anyway.

Actually I have read and reread verything quite a few times, I've also changed settings a number of times with the same results. What I'm looking for is someone with the same card and basic system. So yes I did read it, and yes i will continue to bump around as you say until I find the answer or give up, which is what happend with Red baron eventually. maybe this is as good as it will run on my system, I'm not sure.

I've got a 8800, with an Intel 8400 chip( I think that's it), and 6Gb RAM in a 2yr old Dell XPS. I've got the configuration settings at 5, except scenery at 4 and clouds at 3, and everything runs and looks sweet. Maybe it's the RAM? Pick up and put in a few more Gb's; how much is it nowadays?

Thanks at least i know I have the proverbial needle in a haystack ! I'll keep at it. I actually think of my 8800GT as "new" even though I know its not. I try and get as much as i can out of something, before I go on. New is good, but sometimes old is good too. As a good example just look at what planes were flying. Simple planes without HUD's you fly by the seat of your pants.But you can't make 8800GT's "fly" so I have to do the best with what i've got, at least for now.

Hi, Bruce. I think we talked about this; I have almost the same system as you with a 2.4ghz cpu, a bit slower, and a 320mb 8800gts, a bit slower, and 2gbs of fast RAM. OFF runs fine with slidders set to planes-5, both terrains on 3, effects and clouds on 4. My fps are 40-60 most of the time with pretty smooth action.. ocassional jerkeness, but nothing upsetting. I use TrackIR5, almost a must for OFF as it has a lousy view system.

I set all the other config settings as per the FAQ's on the OFF site OFF config settings Incidentally, when you save all the settings you do it by selecting File menu - Exit.. don't simply hit the "X" button on the upper right.

What version of CFS3 did you use to install from? It sounds like somthing is wrong with your install, as you say other games are fine.. maybe reinstall and be sure you update to CFS3 3.1 if you have the older two disk set and fly it first to be sure it is working fine before installing OFF.. did you do that... did CFS3 run allright before you installed OFF?

Did you recently buy the OFF DVD and did OFF run OK before you updated to BH&H Phase 3 and Hat in the Ring? Also, Do not use a no CD exe, this has been known to cause problems.

Also, in your Nvidia panel try switching the settings tab to "Let the 3d application decide"

Well I tried those detail settings and it just didn't run very well, so I'm at all 2's except clouds at 1, and as i said it runs at around 59 all the time ,but I get stutters near the ground, mostly when i see lots of trees, so its probably the trees doing it, so If I can reduce the tree detail a bit it should run pretty much stutter free.

Bruce: Again, please answer the following:

What version of CFS3 did you use to install from? _______

It sounds like somthing is wrong with your install, as you say other games are fine.. maybe reinstall and be sure you update to CFS3 3.1 before you install OFF

If you have the older two disk set of CFS3 fly it first to be sure it is working fine before installing OFF.. did you do that... did CFS3 run allright before you installed OFF? ______

Did you recently buy the OFF DVD and did OFF run OK before you updated to BH&H Phase 3 and Hat in the Ring? ______

Also, Do not use a no CD exe, this has been known to cause problems.

I found the DVD version of CFS3, so I installed from that, then I did the superpatch and then the minipatch. So when i run OFF , I do it from the icon on my desktop and do it without the DVD in the drive.AS far as OFF goes I just installed it from the DVD. I don't have the Hat in the ring yet.I just bought OFF about 2 weeks ago,doesn't it have BH&H already on it?

I found the DVD version of CFS3, so I installed from that, then I did the superpatch and then the minipatch. So when i run OFF , I do it from the icon on my desktop and do it without the DVD in the drive.AS far as OFF goes I just installed it from the DVD. I don't have the Hat in the ring yet.I just bought OFF about 2 weeks ago,doesn't it have BH&H already on it?

OK, if you have the DVD version of cFS3, you don't need to install it first. You just start the OFF install and it will ask you at some point to insert the CFS3 DVD and it then copies all it needs and then resumes the OFF install. If you bought the UBI soft DVD version, you will never have to insert it again when playing OFF. If you bought one of the other DVD versions, you will have to insert it each time you want to play OFF, but don't try to get around this by using a no CD/DVD exe, it will cause problems.

The OFF install DVD is phase III "Between Heaven and Hell" and does not come with the latest update which is "Hat in the Ring" There is an update for BHH though, it's patch 1.32 but shouldn't have any affect on your performance.

I'm just trying to narrow down what the problem might be for you because you shouldn't be getting such low performance from OFF, even with your system, which is better then what I have.

I think what you might want to try is this:

Uninstall OFF, then uninstall CFS3 in Windows.

Using Windows Explorer go to C: and delete the folder "OBD Software" (OFF) (and CFS3, if any)

Then go to C:\Documents and Settings\Your computer name\Application Data\Microsoft\ and delete the "CFSWW1 Over Flanders" Fields folder (and the CFS3 folder if you find one)

Do a Windows disk clean up

Do a Windows disk defragmentor check and defrag if necessary

Do a reboot and turn off any antivirus software during the install

Start the OFF DVD install and when it asks for the CFS3 DVD disk insert it and follow the directions

At the end of the OFF install it will start the CFS3 config utility. Set the resolution to your native screen resolution (my 22" screen is 1680x1050 at 32 bit color) At the top left click on "File then "Custom Settings" and set your slidders to aircraft 5, both terrains on 3, clouds and effects on 4. (You can also do this later from the OFF Workshops to make more changes)

Fly a quick mission and see how it goes.

I noticed you had a 2 CD CFS3 disk set you were getting rid of.. did you install OFF from that and then get the CFS3 DVD you now use when you play OFF.. that might be the problem, so do the whole uninstall/install routine above and let us know what happens.

Hope this works :salute:

Thanks but thats the exact order I did the first install with and also did the defrag before I began.And no I didn't have any OFF or CFS3 installed before. According to a few emails i received I'm on the bleeding edge as far as OFF goes, so I'll have to twiddle with my settings to see what needs to be "toned down" a bit to get it to run correctly.

There also may be something else running in the background, I had issues with my iRacing last night.I had this type of issue before with another PC and never could track it down. I was going to try Game Booster to try and shut down some of my extra things runninng in the background, but I'm still on the fence with that.

Thanks but thats the exact order I did the first install with and also did the defrag before I began.And no I didn't have any OFF or CFS3 installed before. According to a few emails i received I'm on the bleeding edge as far as OFF goes, so I'll have to twiddle with my settings to see what needs to be "toned down" a bit to get it to run correctly.

There also may be something else running in the background, I had issues with my iRacing last night.I had this type of issue before with another PC and never could track it down. I was going to try Game Booster to try and shut down some of my extra things runninng in the background, but I'm still on the fence with that.

OK, but just remember, you have a better system then me and I can run it at 5,3,3,4,4, as can most others I've talked with over the years with similar systems, so something isn't right in your set up, yet you said you set up following the FAQ set up of the CFS3 config file exactly, so that only leaves one thing, in my opinion... you have a corrupted install, and it would be worth reinstalling following my proceedure above. You also might want to see if you have the latest Nvidia drivers and set your settings to application controlled in the Nvidia control panel.

If you want the best free program out there to automatically turn off background processes and then turn them back on again, this is it: "Alacrity PC" made by the guy who made "FS Autostart" years ago.

Go here Just be sure you read the FAQ and How to Use sections before you try to jump in and use it.

Best of luck

Maybe try another aircraft and squadron or at a different place /time. Some ground battles could be occuring down low as they do at appropriate times and places. Some areas will have less happening on the ground. Also maybe sound is causing a problem try disabling sound and see what happens. Unfortunately in the world of PCs one persons config is dramatically different from someone elses. Maybe close down some running background applications maybe much of that 2GB is being used by other programs as Rabu has said there are programs to help. See the FAQ for tips and there have been many threads on this in the forum so worth a search through.