Sign in to follow this  

I have an issue with white borders on all the decals I create. The example I've used is a buzz number on my RAAF F-4D. It is the same regardless of whether I use Photoshop or paint.net. Removing the anti-aliasing doesn't affect it (I get white borders around a blocky number). No amount of tinkering with fill or opacity changes it. What should I do?

I've attached a buzz number in a zip file.

post-79989-0-71518400-1454065903_thumb.jpg

BN000.zip

You can use different methods, to get rid of it.

variant 1 (original TW style):

use a black background and use the alpha-layer for the actual numbers only.

variant 2:

use whatever background you want (I usually use colors similar to camoflage-colors), paint the number in black and make the alpha-layer a bit smaller than the painted number. I recommend using a larger font size and resize the .tga later. With small fontsizes making the alpha-layer smaller by 1 or 2px may distort the number or letter. It's basically v1, but you can see whats in the picture with every pictureviewer. In v1 you often only see a black picture.

If needed, I can do some quick reference file for v2.

Edited by Nyghtfall
  • Like 1

I tried variant one, and it worked. For me, it has the virtue of allowing me to fix the existing decals rather than make new ones. To view decals, I use IrfanView, which only shows what is allowed through the Alpha layer.

Edited by Sheriff001

Good to hear that.

Maybe I should finally switch to a more modern pictureviewer. :)

Good to hear that.

Maybe I should finally switch to a more modern pictureviewer. :)

Like Xnview ?

http://www.xnview.com/en/

Edited by Eole

as said, the white border is an artifact of the game itself. long ago, you just needed the background and alpha (1stGens). at some point in time, in SF2, it began creating these artifacts -and not all the time either!

best and quickest is the "tk fix", have a solid color surrounding the image, and let the alpha act as a "hold out mask"

(examples below)

left to right -- (serial numbers)

full view, alpha & rgb channels

rgb channels off

alpha off

• Like 1

post-79989-0-17308800-1454098293_thumb.jpg

(They're checking out the results on the other F-4D)

post-79989-0-11388500-1454098296_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sheriff001

I use paintshop pro for numbers etc...as it allows you to have numbers in say red with white border of any pixel size you like....also to get rid of the outer   edge happening...I set number say green. ...then background minutely lighter or darker so it doesnt show in game....

layers seperate to show...

post-1981-0-90048000-1454114755_thumb.jpg

• Like 1