About This File
This model represents the Kongo class destroyers (DDG-173~DDG-176), in service with the JMSDF from 1993 to present. They are based on the Arleigh Burke class, with a significantly longer hull, higher superstructure, and indigenous Japanese systems. The Kongo and successor Atago (coming soon to SF2) are the most advanced and powerful warships in Asia and among the largest destroyers in the world.
This model has been almost completely rebuilt and retextured compared to my previous version (3.7), and like the real thing she can now lead JMSDF task groups comprised of the Takanami, Murasame, Asagiri, and Hatsuyuki. As with my other vessels, I have included authentic name and hull number decals for each ship of the class, plus the necessary sounds, guns, and weapons. See the readme file for full details.
An experimental data file is included, labelled "DDG-173_EX.ini" (The "EX" stands for "experimental" as well as "extremely dangerous.") This sacrifices the cool-looking vertical launch for a significantly more accurate multi-target system that better reflects the actual performance of an Aegis destroyer. Use whichever you prefer, depending on if realistic visuals or realistic performance is more important to you. An optional assisted takeoff mode for helicopters is also included on the flight deck.
If you have any questions, comments, concerns, or constructive criticisms regarding this model, please do not hesitate to contact me. Thank you!
What's New in Version 4.0 See changelog
- 2014/05/24 Rebuilt most of model and all textures; fixed problem with Ch?kai name decal; created refitted variant with newer SM-2; updated data for ship's role as task force flagship
- 2013/08/13 Minor cosmetic update for anti-ship missiles
- 2013/05/11 Hull decal update (now with official JMSDF font); cosmetic update for SSM-1B
- 2012/11/05 Cosmetic updates (rigging, new gun, hull texture, helo deck), significant weapon updates, new sound effects
- 2012/09/21 Remapped model, baked textures, added detail, updated gun and weapon data, added working SSM-1B missiles and SRBOC launchers
- 2012/04/27 Tweaked mesh and textures; fixed shadow issues; added detail; updated data, weapons, and decal sets for SF2:NA/March 2012 patch
- 2011/08/12 initial release