About This File
The Yak-23 was developed as a simple lightweight jet fighter, on Yakovlev's own initiative.
It was a development of the earlier Yak-15 and Yak-17 fighters, retaining their non-conventional layout with a jet engine in the fuselage nose and exhaust under the cockpit, but the construction was all new.
Its wings were derived from the Yak-19.
The Yak-23 used a Soviet copy of the British Rolls-Royce Derwent V turbojet engine, produced as the Klimov RD-500. It first flew on July 8, 1947.
After successful flights, it underwent state trials in 1948 and was accepted for series production.
It was evaluated as highly maneuverable, with a good acceleration and take-off and climb capabilities thanks to high thrust-to-weight ratio.
Faults were poor directional stability at speeds around Mach 0.86 and lack of cockpit pressurization.
Despite being one of the best straight-wing jet fighters, it was inferior to new swept-wing designs.
- A Flyable plane (*) using Stary's outstanding pit.
- Pilot, Sound, openable canopy (Key=10)
- New/Edited historical Skins:
1 ML (a could be)
- Each with its own decalset
- Stary: pit
- Spillone104: RR Derwent Sound
- Flogger23: Early soviet Decals blended, blurred, edited by me
- Paulopanz: Skins, Decals, Screens, ini editings
- Read the story about the USAF plane inside its skin folder, a real cold war spy novel!
- All in main mod folder
I realy like this little long waited small plane and I made ALL the skins I found. Now with its proper pit .
(*) EXP 2 needed