Sign in to follow this  
Beery

WoV - I can't fire any weapon - please help!

Hi folks,

I've looked through all the posts here, but it seems this is not covered. Now I'm the first to admit that I'm a duffer at this modern combat lark. WW1 flight sims are my area. So anyway, I must be doing something very basically wrong. Anyway, on to the problem:

I'm flying in an Intruder (just because I liked the movie 'Flight of the Intruder' and the old DOS game that was based on it) and no matter what I do I can't seem to drop bombs on the target. Firstly I can't get any of the radar targeting things to designate a target, but I'm sure that just takes practice. More annoyingly, it seems like it won't let me drop bombs unless I get a target lock first - is that right? Whenever I try to just drop them, nothing happens.

I'm used to a bomb toggle in an SE5a or a Camel - you just pull out the locking pin and 'bombs gone', so I'm lost with all this electronic mumbo jumbo. Please help.

The ground radar in WOV doesnt lock anything. It just shows you there are targets. Dumb bombs are whatever you designate on your joystick. You have to select them first then you can drop them.

The ground radar in WOV doesnt lock anything. It just shows you there are targets. Dumb bombs are whatever you designate on your joystick. You have to select them first then you can drop them.

Thanks. I knew it had to be that I was doing something stupid. I had assumed that if you were carrying only one type of bomb it was already selected.

So I'd like to know, how could I fire an Walleye or GBU on ground targets in WoV. Without locking ground targets, WallEyes and LGBs don't have any use.

So I'd like to know, how could I fire an Walleye or GBU on ground targets in WoV. Without locking ground targets, WallEyes and LGBs don't have any use.

You can select a ground target (red box)in the game and the guided bombs will go for that target (if they are delivered within correct parameters), but you don't actually use the ground radar to select/lock the target.

LGBs also require your aircraft (and any others carrying them in your flight) be equiped with designators. Otherwise they won't drop. There is no 'buddy designation' in these games.

EOGB/EOGRs require the "TV" settings in the avionics inis of said aircraft. (although that might not be totally true -- WW2 torpedos are EOGRs and work just fine from the Avenger/Beaufighters/Beauforts/Bettys without the avionics tweek)

Wrench

kevin stein

if you left the defaults alone...hit the "E" key to select the target, default "\" is the air to ground munition selection...then align yourself and when you would like to kill the little digital bad men, with the air to ground mode selected, whatever you use to fire the missiles will now drop the bombs...

Yeah It works, but It's quite hard to lock them without red box in HARD option :biggrin: But I'll get used to It.

BTW any recommendation when the target is bridge or other structure? Visual targeting of ground target lock only Tanks, Shilkas, Sams, Radars etc. But When You wanna destroy structure, you can't padlock It, or You can?

I tried padlock waypoint, which is always on structural target and succesfully destroyed It, but when target is damaged bridge It should be problem. Is there any chance to lock other bridge beam than central, which is destroyed from earlier raid, or game will automaticaly assign next bridge beam to lock?

THX for answer.

Yeah It works, but It's quite hard to lock them without red box in HARD option :biggrin: But I'll get used to It.

BTW any recommendation when the target is bridge or other structure? Visual targeting of ground target lock only Tanks, Shilkas, Sams, Radars etc. But When You wanna destroy structure, you can't padlock It, or You can?

I tried padlock waypoint, which is always on structural target and succesfully destroyed It, but when target is damaged bridge It should be problem. Is there any chance to lock other bridge beam than central, which is destroyed from earlier raid, or game will automaticaly assign next bridge beam to lock?

THX for answer.

Regarding targeting in Hard settings, I play with all the realism settings on hard except for visual targeting and HUD. I leave these on medium, and I think that's fair given the lack of complex targeting/navigational equipment and the fact that were limited to what we can see by our monitor resolution.

Bridges and buildings can be visually targeted if they are the primary target for the mission. I think that's the only way to do it. Someon correct me if I'm wrong...

Not to mention that in reality you would be trained on how to use the equipment provided to you...and there is no tutorial included with the game...and the instruments do not act as the real ones did in certain aspects (both good and bad)...so dont too much of the "hard settings"

In quite a few games, the hard setting just gives advantages to your opponent (like smaller kill boxes, more armor, no need to reload (ever notice that?))...doesnt mean "realistic-er"