Sign in to follow this  
GwynO

Question regarding F111

I was wondering if theres a way to make the F111 dump its fuel and light it up with the burners like I heard they could do in real emergencies, i remember a problem with the MiG-25 that could help. When i first dl the Foxbat, i took her to 60,000ft full throttle and could only just get to mach 2.2 before she would burst into flame and blow up, but before total deflagration of the airframe, the engines trailed like about a mile of flame which looked really cool and just what id expect the fuel dump scenario would look like. Incidentaly this fuel lighting at night over British skies in the 1980's has been used time and again as an explanation for all those reported U.F.O's near USAF bases and the North Sea. :haha:

It can be done, but takes some careful editiing, and just a little hocus-pocus.

I did it shortly after the F-111F model was released, with a little help from my friends.

I'd point you to the thread at SimHQ that has the edits, but the whole darned site is down at the moment.

Do a search upon it's return.

I took a few shots when I 1st did it, and haven't messed with it since, as it's more "Gee-Whiz" than anything...

431TES_D-n-B_1.jpg

It would be cool but please don't! :) Even though we onced used them as bombers here (Oz), now they just entertain P*ssheads at Car races, Grand Prix, Indy and the like. It's just depressing to see them only be used for that these days... I take pride in knowing that I can still use it to bomb the living crap outta stuff in SF, not wowing race fans :spiteful:

It would be cool but please don't! :) Even though we onced used them as bombers here (Oz), now they just entertain P*ssheads at Car races, Grand Prix, Indy and the like. It's just depressing to see them only be used for that these days... I take pride in knowing that I can still use it to bomb the living crap outta stuff in SF, not wowing race fans :spiteful:

Point taken about the sad retirement antics, what a ignominous end for such a capable low level striker, like OJ turning his hand at making ppl laugh but he had a comeback though with his black glove and world famous cop chase; maybe those Pigs could drop a stick of durandals on the race track and run away :biggrin: i reckon they could out run the resulting FA-18 intercept, but seriously though there is a legitimate use for the dump and burn. I had the pleasure of meeting a pilot who flew the vark at an air show near where i live, the RAF training school in Anglesey always had a top class air show years ago and i asked the USAF crew standing by their shiny new F-15e's whether the torching was deliberately used or just a side effect of dumping fuel, the pilot said in his opinion it could have been of use if anyone got close enough for a gun kill even if just for that extra few seconds of distraction, it could save your arse long enough to get out and if the guy doesn't expect it, he might lose his underpant integrity :huh: Id love to give it a try on a tail if i ever get one! flying at full burner theres not much chance of finding someones nose that close to your arse to fart at them, but im up for the laugh quality alone. I searched SimHQ forums but i just cant find anything, if anyone else gets it please put up a link on this site. Respeks

It could probably out-run everything short of an F-14 and the F-22, other than that its bye-bye racetrack.

Had plenty of opportunity in the past to go with/against F-111's. Normally they'd be screaming along at low level, and there was no way anyone was going to catch them in a tail chase. (Exception was a well-timed dive from a lot higher altitude, but normally there was easier meat available.)

Talked to an F-111 pilot who converted out of them. On their low levels, the only thing that kept them from going even faster was the windscreen temperature - I guess they had a gauge for it - they'd have to hold back to avoid an overtemp.

Papa_K

Edited by Papa_K

Had plenty of opportunity in the past to go with/against F-111's. Normally they'd be screaming along at low level, and there was no way anyone was going to catch them in a tail chase. (Exception was a well-timed dive from a lot higher altitude, but normally there was easier meat available.)

Talked to an F-111 pilot who converted out of them. On their low levels, the only thing that kept them from going even faster was the windscreen temperature - I guess they had a gauge for it - they'd have to hold back to avoid an overtemp.

Papa_K

Never putt-putted around in Vark, but I have heard it said that absolutely nothing could catch it when it got up to speed low level. Surprising enough, the next best thing to a Vark for speed in the weeds is the venerable Thud (F-105). They are neck and neck and the rest of the pack to this day are quite a ways back. Since they are all sitting on posts these days, maybe the Fencer rules as the speed king in the dirt.

Never putt-putted around in Vark, but I have heard it said that absolutely nothing could catch it when it got up to speed low level. Surprising enough, the next best thing to a Vark for speed in the weeds is the venerable Thud (F-105). They are neck and neck and the rest of the pack to this day are quite a ways back. Since they are all sitting on posts these days, maybe the Fencer rules as the speed king in the dirt.

No that honor now belongs to B-1B. In the weeds nothing can catch it.