Sign in to follow this  
Loren Mash

Can AI anyway perform a BVR attack?

You know its been a mixed bag for me. Sometimes they do. But it's very rare. Now there is a bug I think it worth fixing.

You know its been a mixed bag for me. Sometimes they do. But it's very rare. Now there is a bug I think it worth fixing.

So is it a comprehensive setting problem or simply no interfaces left for us in the .ini to adjust? :dntknw:

It seems to me that the problem is more likely the second one. Hope can get fixed in next edition.

Check this thread at Simhq.

About 8 posts down, PFunk talks about a simple edit to the MaxVisibleDistance under [DetectSystem] in individual a/c's data.ini to increase the detectable distances of planes.

He says it gives the jets "BVR".

http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/boards/bb...;f=145;t=005615

From the posts all of you mentioned, this sounds like something worth trying.

I think, I think, if the visual detection range of an aircraft is increased, enemy aircraft will target it relative to their missile performance. I once had a MiG-25 fire head on against a bomber -- B-52 if I recall -- about 20km or more distant. Its certainly worth experimenting with.

Lexx is quite correct. I've set the max visible distance of the Tu-16 Badger to 40000 meters, and have seen AI-controlled F-14s engage them at or near that distance with AIM-54s.

Thanks to csb, Jtin, Lexx Luthor and Furbal512 for providing the informations and experiences.

And with some much higher detective distance set in the .ini files I cant help wondering such a condition that whether a F-16 will shoot the enemy with a AIM-9M at a distance of 20km since all AIM-120s have been out? Can we prevent it ?

Thanks to csb, Jtin, Lexx Luthor and Furbal512 for providing the informations and experiences.

And with some much higher detective distance set in the .ini files I cant help wondering such a condition that whether a F-16 will shoot the enemy with a AIM-9M at a distance of 20km since all AIM-120s have been out? Can we prevent it ?

Experiment. :dntknw:

Let us know.

I'm guessing (again) the missile range or seeker range (if modelled) has some relevance.

Experiment.

Use the wep ed to change some info for the -9M, see if it launches beyond its ability to fly the distance.

In real life, you should be able to launch an IR missile at the sun, even if the missile does not have the physical range, it has the seeker range to see a target at 1 astronomical unit of distance, although the target is a main sequence star. If I recall, several IR test launches of Ye Olde SNARS-250 flew towards the moon (night shots).

Salvete,

Just to add in some input; I'd estimate some of it has to do with the weapon's range. Without editing any .ini files for WoE, my AI wingman (#2 A/C) will attack at absolute maximum range with AIM-54's when we're flying Tomcats. I.e. I'll have my wingman fire at 96+nm at targets designated by me; though after my #2, they seem more hesitant (they don't engage generally until we're a lot closer, but this is on and off). I haven't tested it with other missiles yet.

Vale,

-"C"