Sign in to follow this  
EmlD

Nieuport 28

EmlD...What I did was copy all the SE5a values for the wings, elevators, control surfaces, and such over to the N28 Data.ini. I didn't change the data specfic to the N28 like Flight Control, Aircraft Data, Engine, Crew, guns, landing gear, etc. In other words I cheated. I came up with an N28 that flies like an SE5a...sort of. :lol: Its not anything developed on N28 data at all so I wouldn't think it proper to actually use it. I'll send you the file if you want, though. BTW...the pilot position in your latest file is OK externally but using those coordinates for the cockpit view doesn't allow you to see the instrument panel. I think a good compromise postition is 0.0,-1.02,0.57. Anything closer than -1.02 causes the instrument panel to start to disappear and any thing higher than 0.57 allows you to see under the cockpit padding, its too high. Here's some screens. You know, you gotta get that vid card fixed... :lol:

The first two are with the coordinates in your last file.

28p1.jpg

28p2.jpg

These two are with the coordinates I gave.

28p3.jpg

28p4.jpg

It is possible to mix the coordinates to give you the outside view you want with the cockpit view that works best too.

Hi

7. Slow and Fast Prop nodes with Textures (Taken from SPAD :) added

8. Pilot position edited (than you Tailspin)

9. N28.out files added to modpack for info

Thanx, and good night!

EmlD

I edited the FM data.ini from SPAD.... when i extracted it from objects.cat the geame was set to hard...

FM for N28 dismatches the SPADs FM in:

1. [FlightControl]

2. [AircraftData] including EmptyInertia

3. [Engine] including SLPowerDry

And i have a quastion to you mates... comes still the light (fier) from the gun barrels out?

I am afraid, i used the fire animation IDs (GunFireAnimationID=7,8) for MG mooving animation...

or is the fire animation produced in other way? Thanx!

I edited the FM data.ini from SPAD.... when i extracted it from objects.cat the geame was set to hard...

FM for N28 dismatches the SPADs FM in:

1. [FlightControl]

2. [AircraftData] including EmptyInertia

3. [Engine] including SLPowerDry

I guess that explains the very strange stall behaviours I was getting.

Have you or anyone else read any references on how the plane behaved?? Was it similar to the N28?? I have no idea personally, hence Im asking.

I dont mind drastic unrecoverable spins and stalls if it was similar to the SPAD XIII. I it wasnt or we dont know then I do think it should be changed for gameplay purpose. For me feel is the most important thing and its nice when planes have their own distinct feeling, ofcourse within reasonably historical bounderies.

Tex

N28 was more manouverable but not as fast. N28 top speed of @123mph vs the SPAD's 138mph. I have a different data.ini based on the post patch SE5a. Maybe a little too much but it sure is fun to fly. :biggrin: I can post it but like I said in the earlier post its pure "fantasy" made by crossing the N28 data with the SE5a FM.

edit...On second thought, I'm not going to post it. I think its better to get a good solid FM based on the data so everybody that uses the model will be on the same page.

edit...On third thought, :rolleyes: I'll give the file to EmlD and let him decide if he wants to use it until something better comes along. Who knows, he may still prefer his instead. :smile:

OK, i strted to dig me in the finetuning of the FM.

Do this values declare or influe the Climb Rate?

CLa Lift coefficient due to AOA

CD0 Zero-lift drag coefficient

CDL Drag coefficient due to lift (induced drag effect)

CL0 Lift coefficient at zero angle of attack (AOA)

Let us speak about CR

This values i have found:

N28 = 500 or 370 m/min

SPADXIII = 460 m/min

S.E.5a = 235 m/min

Fokker Dr.1 = 220 m/min

But i am not sure about them (most of all about N28 and SPAD)

Which climb rates did you know about?

Maybe are thease rate unrelevant in this game?

so why: on [Top Wing Left] for example

******* Spad ** S.E.5a ** Fokker DVII

CLa= ** 0.3098 ** 0.1117 ** 0.1320

CD0= ** 0.0017 ** 0.0009 ** 0.0014

CDL= ** 0.0008 ** 0.0003 ** 0.0006

CL0= ****** ** - ** - ** 0.0023

Any ideas....INI tweaking gurus? :clapping:

Edited by EmlD

The numbers I find are more like:

Dr 1 1130ft./min. or 342m/min.

N28 855ft./min. or 258m/min.

SPAD 394ft./min. or 120m/min. (Wow very slow! That can't be correct)

Yes, I've seen that. This is the problem sometimes with Internet information. Some of it is DRASTICALLY different. The 2m/s climb rate for the SPAD taken from a couple of sites seems completely ridiculous.

By all accounts the N28 was an excellent performer, hampered only by its tendency to shed its upper wing skin when pulling out of a dive. :shok:

Climb rate is accelleration... hence relationship between thrust and mass... where trust is the effect you get out of your prop...

Once the plane is flying lift has nothing to do with climb rate... lift is only needed to get it flying and to keep it flying when speed decreases...

Tex

Yes, I've seen that. This is the problem sometimes with Internet information. Some of it is DRASTICALLY different. The 2m/s climb rate for the SPAD taken from a couple of sites seems completely ridiculous.

By all accounts the N28 was an excellent performer, hampered only by its tendency to shed its upper wing skin when pulling out of a dive. :shok:

Speakin of which... is it possible to rip wings in FE????

I don't think so. I've tried to rip the wings off the planes in FE without doing so. It one of the things I liked about RB3D...you couldn't just yank your plane around any old way without damaging it. :good:

I would also think that factors like CLift at AoA and CDrag at AoA combined with thrust and weight would affect overall clime rate. A poor design that lacked sufficient lift or had high drag at increased AoA wouldn't climb as well as a more efficient wing, IMHO.

Tex

Speakin of which... is it possible to rip wings in FE????

I've tried a few times with the Albatros. However, at just over 200 kmh in a vertical dive she'll start to nose up despite full-forward elevators. So, next I went into a vertical spiral dive and that let me keep the nose down and get the airspeed up over 250kmh, then centered ailerons and yanked full aft elevators. There was a lot of "groaning" noise from the wings but I could never get them to depart the airplane.

I only experimented with four or five dives, so my "data" are nowhere complete. Still, I've beat the hell out of that airplane and have had no compromise of structural integrity--other than Lewis or Vickers induced!

There is one thing. There are two nieuports

1. Nieuport 28, Wing area 16qm, empty mass 435 kg

2. Nieuport 28 C.1 Wing area 20qm, empty mass 533 kg

am i right? I saw different datas around in internet.... as here, here and here

If it is right, number 2 is the one we are working on lol :tomato:

News!

N28.rar updated with additions:

10. Edited FM to N28 native one, need your opinion about it. (Edited with several SE5a Aero Coefficients, i like it!) => thanx Tailspin!

11.Reworked the [FlightControl] section.

Nice flight! :spiteful:

feels VERY nice now... thanks for removig that nasty SPAD stall characteristics....

Now one can feel one of the SE5 characteristics but that is ok.. its the sideways power... so when you barrell roll you actually keep going sideways aafter you have let go of the controlls...

No worries though... it is a joy to fly the plane...

Tex

Tex, I see what you mean by the sideways power comments. Reaction in the yaw axis is a pretty loose. Skids and slips quite a bit.

Tex, I see what you mean by the sideways power comments. Reaction in the yaw axis is a pretty loose. Skids and slips quite a bit.

Ive flown it a bit more and Im still not decided wether I like the side sliping or not. I do guess it is the Cyb (Side force due to sideslip) and Cyp (Side force due to roll rate) ratings that need adjustment and possibly Clb (Side force due to roll rate).

Tex

With the latest bitmaps installed in the skin folder, only one side of this

aeroplane is showing up textured. How do I fix this, or is this a thing

thats yet to be sortted ourt?

Keep up the excellent work. I love this plane, EmlD! Well done so far :clapping:

Almost done :

All textures done and UVW coordinates applied (LOD 1&2)

coming soon

1. Damage nodes with textures

2. third level of detail

Thanx! :grin:

Good news EmlD. I'm looking forward to seeing her in all her glory. :good:

Great model EmlD, :ok: ,can't wait to fly the finished version!

post-18248-1168564893_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bwf

For the first time I actually fought against it and I noticed a HUUUUGE FPS DROP when you get close to it!!!!!

Its something you might wana look into.

Tex

Ive made a few adjustments to the FM...

The controll surfaces ARE big on the N28 but imho the controlls are too extream in your FM. Especially the rudder... it has insane rudder effect and virtually no rudder induced drag... roll rate is a bit too wild as well imho... and when you use your rudder to induce roll then its even more insane...

So what I did was I calmed down the inputs a bit and increased the drag from use of inputs. Still its a VERY manouverable plane just not THAT insane.. ;)

Tex

EDIT: Couldnt attach ini file so here it comes as a txt, rename it when you dl it.

N28_data.txt

Edited by TexMurphy