Sign in to follow this  
Dave

Need to Talk To Someone From Ireland

I am doing some research about "The Troubles" and wanted to know some insight from people who have been there during that time.

Post this in ODB Forum as well....I think Tremble, and a few others are from Ireland

Thanks Fates, on my way.

Do you really want to get into this? :unsure:

It's very complicated & has lots of angles & 2 very different viewpoints depending upon which community ...

Do you really want to get into this? :unsure:

It's very complicated & has lots of angles & 2 very different viewpoints depending upon which community ...

Yes I do and I have a good understanding of it but I want to talk to people who were there. I want personal perspectives. I am Irish American and I would like to know about the history of my home country.

Well, as long as you are prepared to take the views of both sides & balance them in your own mind rather than just those of 1 side.

It also of course doesn't just affect Ireland - in particular the West coast of Scotland, Liverpool etc. & Ireland have very close ties.

Well, as long as you are prepared to take the views of both sides & balance them in your own mind rather than just those of 1 side.

It also of course doesn't just affect Ireland - in particular the West coast of Scotland, Liverpool etc. & Ireland have very close ties.

As an American who is descended from Ireland, Ireland as a whole is my country. But I am very interested in the N. Ireland history in itself. I read everything about it but a personal view is more what I am looking for.

I was in Londonderry then..mid to late 60s.To say it was a wild time would be an understatement.

Very true. My own mother knew two men who were arrested for links to the IRA and found guilty of smuggling arms and weapons into the country. One of the most complex histories to a country I know of. My friend's dad was also shot in Northern Ireland when he was in the paras. I could ask him him about it for you if you like?

My dad did 4 tours of N. Ireland while with the Royal Army for just over 25 years. Of course he only has the prospective of the British solider and not what the daily lives of the residents he was trying to protect. The number one thing for me growing up in England, was the reports on the nightly news of shootings, bombings, ambushes and the kidnapping of police and government officials and the later killing, people being killed on the door steps of homes in front of family members. What I find striking is the reports coming out of Bagdad of much the same thing. It only leaves one thing that Terror is Terror no matter what part of the world you are in. All of this killing done in the name of God, one faction believing my God is better than your God!

All of this killing done in the name of God, one faction believing my God is better than your God!

You know we're in trouble as a race if people ever start killing in the name of Buddha! I think we should just agree to disagree about religion and blame it all on the fundamentalists, any and all of the fundamentalists! Coz lets face it, they don't put the fun into anything!! Abstain from this, worship that, fear the wraith of... etc. Where's the love? A fundamentalist will NEVER shout the first round! :tongue:

Anyways, off topic. Dave, a very nice lady i work with(with that sexy Irish accent too! :smile:) hails from Gaoth Dobhair (used to be called Gweedore?). She game me a link that may explain some Irish history for you, if it helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKBCCDOUS9U