Sign in to follow this  
Hawk MMS

Hawk Missile battery?

I know this would be just one other thing for the modders of this community but, a Hawk battery would be cool.

Hawk SAM is already available.

I haven't gotten it to actually shoot though when I'm rolling in on it in a Fencer or Flogger......

Hey Typhoid,

Do you have the current weapons pack, and which terrain are you using?

Not so much they don't shoot, but they seem to shoot late, and in volley (due to networking)!

One of my projects has been to add defense batteries around the NATO airbases. Mind you, most likely NOT historically accurate in placement and equipment, but they look nice, at least.

This is near Jever:

jever-hawk1.jpg

jever-hawk2.jpg

jever-hawk3.jpg

in pic 3, you'll notice the smaller trail from the Chaparrel launcher in left corner.

The base you're looking at is a 'generic' one, using the truck depot's concrete slab, with various and sundry items placed around to give it the 'lived in' look.

So, where should these all be placed??? I've got Jever, Twenthe, 2 small batteries in the fields near Ramstein, the Nike base at Zweibruken (which I'm SURE is wrong). What about the cities? Shouldn't they get some defenses??? Hamburg, Bremerhaven, Emden ports....they got NOTHING!! Not even a lousy (and ever-present) Quad 50 mount.

Wrench

Kevin Stein

This is a generic layout of a battery. A battery consists of 1 BCP (Battery Command Post), 1 CWAR (Continuos Wave Acquisition Radar), 1 PAR (Pulse Acquisition Radar Pre-1993), 2 HIPIR (High Power Illumination Radar), 4 launchers and other items such as generators. Post 1994 things start to change culminating in Excercise Mountain Top which changes everything. I could explain that some other time. This crude layout was done quickly at work today.

Wrench.

I've edited the data.ini for the Hawk launcher to prevent Salvoing, but had to locate the launchers in a semi-circle (ala Soviet-bloc), with each launcher guarding it's own sector. If you want, I'll post the basic layout, and send you the updated data.ini file(s).

Fubar, any chance of a general release on that one? It would be good to see some muscle in the NATO SAM defences. Your work would be much appreciated by a wide audience, I am sure. Cheers.

I am trying to attach the layout drawing i did. I know it is basic but, it may help.

Ed; that be great! You have MJ fix on the rotating radar, right?? (CWAR??)

Like I say, this layout is based on using the available concrete pad. I just HATE sticking launcher and radars out in the middle of some poor SOBs bean field !!

Although I'm sure it's much more accurate that way.... have a few truck/jeep sitting around, hot dog stand, few dancing girls...sorry, dirfted away there for a sec...

Ed, didn't you do the original layout for the Desert map a million or so years ago??

[TargetArea080]

Name=HAWK Battery Alpha

Position=441441.000,467299.000

Radius=500.000

ActiveYear=1969

Location=1

Alignment=Friendly

Target[001].Type=HAWKL

Target[001].Offset=-100.203,-100.53

Target[001].Heading=0

Target[002].Type=HAWK_HIPIR

Target[002].Offset=50.137,50.891

Target[002].Heading=90

Target[003].Type=HAWK_CWAR

Target[003].Offset=000.0,000.0

Target[003].Heading=90

Target[004].Type=HAWKL

Target[004].Offset=100.203,100.53

Target[004].Heading=180

NOTE to all readers: the coords are for the SF desert map only! Batter set up is OK for other maps, you'll just need to adjust offsets and create, if you wish, a new target area

That's just soo tiny, and no support AAA. But probably better, historically. You, know, Polaks beta ground objects has some nice sand bag revietments...be interesting to see if those could be placed accurately around the launchers. Add some eye candy, at least!

Time for more experiments....muuuuuhahahahahahaa!!

Wrench

Kevin Stein

USMCHawker: that's the kind of stuff I been going nuts trying to find

What was used for the CP? A permant building, tent??? Based on what we have in game, it shouldn't be too difficult to re-create that layout.

Once positions are figured, they could even be placed directly ON an airfield, in one of those empty spots near the runway ends (remove those usless outhouses/shacks/beer stand or whatever they are!), or even off into the grass nearby.

Wrench

KEvin Stein

USMCHawker: that's the kind of stuff I been going nuts trying to find

What was used for the CP? A permant building, tent??? Based on what we have in game, it shouldn't be too difficult to re-create that layout.

Once positions are figured, they could even be placed directly ON an airfield, in one of those empty spots near the runway ends (remove those usless outhouses/shacks/beer stand or whatever they are!), or even off into the grass nearby.

Wrench

KEvin Stein

The BCP Battery Command Post was a small trailer box that had an IFF antennae on it the tactical officer and 2 radar operators in it plus a comm guy usually. I will see if i have any pics at home. We would even bed load it on the back of a 5 ton truck some times.

I was an IHAWK TCO (Tactical Control Office) and Platoon Leader in the mid '80's.

There were 2 configurations. A full battery would have the BCC (Battery Command Central), an ICC (Information Control Central (with the computers and IFF on top), the PAR (Pulse Acquisition Radar), ROR (Range only Radar), ICWAR (Improved Continuous Wave Radar), two HIPARS (High-Power Acquisition Radars) each with 3 (not 2) launchers (each with 3 missiles).

The BCC was on 5 ton truck. The rest of the equipment was towed.

There was also an AFP (Assault Fire Platoon) which consisted of the PCP (Platoon Command Post) with an IFF. The ICWAR and one firing section (1 HIPAR and 3 launchers). This equipment was taken away from the main battery - not additional.

The PAR provided long-range high altitude detection, the ICWAR was shorter ranged but good down to ground level. When separated into 2 platoons they would be networked to share information.

In theory the 4 batteries in battalion would be networked through the Bn TOC - mostly for C3. In theory one battery could detect and another "quiet" battery could stay in standbye, recieve remote data, come up quick and fire without using it's own detection radars. Never worked though.

Please fire away with any questions - I've got a ton of information in my head. Would love to get the IHAWKs up and running in the sim. I would also like to place the units where they were - at least the battalion I was in while in Germany. I have information on others too.

Map placement would be the important thing...I just been tossing them around like empty soda cans.

Based on USMCHawker's drawing, if got this set up:

[TargetArea***]

Name=??? HAWK Battery

Position=

Radius=500.000

ActiveYear=1960

Location=1

Alignment=Friendly

Target[001].Type=HAWK_CWAR

Target[001].Offset=00,00

Target[001].Heading=90

Target[002].Type=tent1

Target[002].Offset=50,75

Target[002].Heading=90

Target[003].Type=HAWKL

Target[003].Offset=200,200

Target[003].Heading=90

Target[004].Type=HAWKL

Target[004].Offset=200,300

Target[004].Heading=90

Target[005].Type=HAWKL

Target[005].Offset=-200,-200

Target[005].Heading=90

Target[006].Type=HAWKL

Target[006].Offset=-200,-300

Target[006].Heading=90

Target[007].Type=HAWK_HIPIR

Target[007].Offset=-150,-150

Target[007].Heading=90

Target[008].Type=HAWK_HIPIR

Target[008].Offset=150,150

Target[008].Heading=90

Target[009].Type=powercart

Target[009].Offset=-155,-280

Target[009].Heading=190

Target[010].Type=powercart

Target[010].Offset=155,280

Target[010].Heading=030

Very basic, using a tent for the CP.

Just can't get the sucker to show up!!! Of course, I am testing it on the desert map....might have to go all Euro on it.

Like everything else, we're making do with what's available. Could use the EOR shack if we had to, just for now

to get the CWAR to rotate, back up the original Hawk_CWAR_data.ini, and replace the relevant sections with those below:

(can't find any of my non=tweeked so, there may be more info than needed)

[GroundObjectData]

DamagedModel=

DestroyedModel=Radar_Destroyed.LOD

DestroyedEffect=VehicleFireEffect

EmptyMass=36000.00

Component[001]=Chassis

Component[002]=Radar

[Radar]

ParentComponentName=Chassis

ModelNodeName=Swiwel

MaxExtentPosition= 4.00, 4.00, 7.60

MinExtentPosition=-4.00,-4.00, 1.07

HasArmor=FALSE

SystemName[001]=Radar1

DetachNode[001]=Box02

DetachNode[002]=Box08

[Radar1]

SystemType=RADAR

YawModelNodeName=Swiwel

RadarSearchTime=2.5

RadarType=SEARCH

that should get it to sweep.

Wrench

Kevin STein

What is the HawkL_stdalone object? I cannot get it to appear when I place it using Kreelin's Mission Editor.

Must admit I'm a novice on this type of work.

THE BCP Battery Command Post The IFF antannae rotates on top.

hawk2.gif

Hey Typhoid,

Do you have the current weapons pack, and which terrain are you using?

definitely have the current weapons pack. I tried building some missions with the Hawk in it but it just sat there.

Looks like a lot of info coming in on this. It would be great if someone would compile it all into one package....

:clapping:

Based on the pic above from USMCHawker, looks like we need a new control cab.

the closet in-game objects are either the Flatface or Spoonrest, and they're just not quite right. I'm sure one could be used temporarily, just to get the ground 'footprint' for placement

Hopefully, we'll get all the little bugs worked out.

The biggest one I found last night, is the inability of the game to accept additoins to airbases. (should have realized and remembered this from trying to place national flags at bases....

Was trying to put the launchers, specificly named, on the little 'parking areas' near the taxiways, just back of the runway:

Added these to Spangdalham (sp?), and they don't show. NOTE: CWAR not placed

Target[096].Type=HAWK_HIPIR

Target[096].Offset=1160,520

Target[096].Heading=90

Target[097].Type=HAWKL

Target[097].Offset=1180,530

Target[097].Heading=90

Target[098].Type=HAWKL

Target[098].Offset=1180,495

Target[098].Heading=90

Target[099].Type=HAWKL

Target[099].Offset=1150,550

Target[099].Heading=90

Target[100].Type=HAWK_HIPIR

Target[100].Offset=-1030,-745

Target[100].Heading=90

Target[101].Type=HAWKL

Target[101].Offset=-1050,-750

Target[101].Heading=90

Target[102].Type=HAWKL

Target[102].Offset=-1030,-775

Target[102].Heading=90

Target[103].Type=HAWKL

Target[103].Offset=-1030,-720

Target[103].Heading=90

But, it you create a target area nearby, they should. Just like the ones shown inthe screenies above.

Most peculiar....

But you can switch an object for something else; that's how I got the flags to show up. Would just have to loose a few barracks buildings or other 'airfield eye candy'.....very annoying!!!

Wrench

kevin stein

FYI, the HAWK batteries were not placed on active USAF airfields. Some were on inactive airfields used by the US Army - like Giebelstadt and Schweinfurt (not on the Germany CE map). Place your HAWK batteries on hills around 20 KM from the target to be protected and you are simulating actual doctrine. The radar and missile range in the sim is way too low. I want to see if I can locate some public data before revealing anything classified.

This setup seem fairly close:

Where *** in TargetArea is the next number in sequence, and

where ** -words- ** is the position coordinates (taken from 'camera position' with HUD debug truned on).

Where "Macho Grande Defense Battery" is...a lot of good pilots were lost. Including George Zip.

[TargetArea***]

Name=Macho Grande Defense Battery

Position= **you must find a place**

Radius=500.000

ActiveYear=1960

Location=1

Alignment=Friendly

Target[001].Type=HAWK_CWAR

Target[001].Offset=00,00

Target[001].Heading=90

Target[002].Type=tent1

Target[002].Offset=50,75

Target[002].Heading=90

Target[003].Type=HAWKL

Target[003].Offset=200,200

Target[003].Heading=90

Target[004].Type=HAWKL

Target[004].Offset=200,300

Target[004].Heading=90

Target[005].Type=HAWKL

Target[005].Offset=-200,-200

Target[005].Heading=90

Target[006].Type=HAWKL

Target[006].Offset=-200,-300

Target[006].Heading=90

Target[007].Type=HAWK_HIPIR

Target[007].Offset=-150,-150

Target[007].Heading=90

Target[008].Type=HAWK_HIPIR

Target[008].Offset=150,150

Target[008].Heading=90

Target[009].Type=powercart

Target[009].Offset=-155,-155

Target[009].Heading=190

Target[010].Type=powercart

Target[010].Offset=144,156

Target[010].Heading=030

Target[011].Type=USFlag

Target[011].Offset=60,90

Target[011].Heading=0

Target[012].Type=AAA

Target[012].Offset=-255,110

Target[012].Heading=0

Target[013].Type=AAA

Target[013].Offset=45,370

Target[013].Heading=90

Target[014].Type=AAA

Target[014].Offset=280,-30

Target[014].Heading=180

Target[015].Type=AAA

Target[015].Offset=20,-335

Target[015].Heading=270

Target[016].Type=AAA

Target[016].Offset=-415,-390

Target[016].Heading=0

Target[017].Type=USTruck

Target[017].Offset=25,35

Target[017].Heading=135

Most of you probably don't have the USFlag in you types ini, but if you have DBS, you can borrow it form there or the WW2 Allied bombing range. Or, you can delete it and just renumber the the following entries back to sequence.

Don't forget, you'll need to add it -and most imoprtantly- ALL the HAWK bits, to the GermanyCE_types.ini. Extract the ini as needed.

The tent is standing in for the BCP.

Still some problems with the battery 'populating'....sometime only parts of it show. bTW, these use the stock launchers, not Fubar's modified ones. I haven't loaded his ini fixes yet, as I'm trying to stay 'close to reality' (yeah, like my wife will believe that one!)

Wrench

Kevin Stein

ps: this is just so damn frustrating, about ready to chuck the whole damn thing!!! :crazy: If it weren't so important....I mean, the map itself is lacking so many things.....

The Marines used Hawk in support of the MAGTF (Marine Air Ground task Force). We were never stationary, always leap frogging units to provide continuos coverage. The CWAR receives first terrain priority to provide for better target acquisition. We often would receive track data from other sources via data link and not radiate in order to not give away location.

Below is a fact file but, is not completely accurate.

Primary function: To provide surface-to-air missile defense.

Manufacturer: Raytheon Corporation

Power plant: Solid propellant rocket motor

Propulsion: Solid propellant rocket motor

Length: 12.5 feet (3.81 meters)

Diameter: 13.5 inches (3.84 centimeters)

Height: 13.5 inches (3.84 centimeters)

Weight: 1400 pounds (635 kilograms)

Weight fully armed: 1400 pounds (635 kilograms)

Range: 14.9 miles (24 kilometers) (we have engaged drones at greater distance)

Ceiling: 30,000 feet (9.14 kilometers)

Speed: Supersonic

Aircraft: Transported by C-130/C-141/C-5 and heavy lift helo (extended load)

Units: 2 active duty and 1 reserve Light Anti-aircraft Missile Battalion

Crew:

Officer: 2

Enlisted: 49 (prior to 1996)

Guidance system: Radar directed semi-active homing

Warheads: One 300 pound (136.2 kg) high explosive missile.

Type of fire: Operator directed/automatic modes

Magazine capacity: 48 missiles/battery

Missile guidance: Semi-active homing.

Target detection: Continuous wave radar and pulse acquisition radars.

Target tracking: High power illuminating continuous wave radar and passive optical.

Rate of fire: 1 missile every 3 seconds

Sensors: High power continuous wave radar (HIPIR)

Continuous wave acquisition radar (CWAR)

Pulse Acquisition Radar (PAR)(removed from service early 90's when it was determined there was no high alt threat) and passive optical scan

Introduction date: 1962

Unit Replacement Cost: $25,000,000.00

Mission: To provide surface-to-air missile defense of assigned areas of operation or installations therein, against low and medium air attack.

Features: The system can be divided into three sections: acquisition, fire control, and firing sections. Target detection is provided to the fire control section from pulse and continuous wave radars for engagement evaluation. Target data can also be received from remote sensors via data link. The fire control section locks onto the target with high-powered tracking radar. A missile or missiles can be launched manually or in an automatic mode from the firing section by the fire control section. Radars and missile have extensive electronic counter counter measures (ECCM) capabilities.

This setup seem fairly close:

Where "Macho Grande Defense Battery" is...a lot of good pilots were lost. Including George Zip

I miss George Zip.....